Powersplit log splitters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
someone posted a video of a powersplit log splitter on another thread. They look very intriguing but the only YouTube videos I can find are from the manufacturer. Does anyone know anything about these machines?
Powersplit.com

They are made up in Canada. They seem like really good machines. A lot of the big firewood guys around here in Northern Illinois and Milwaukee area are running the double splitter version. If we step up our operation that is what I am going to purchase. Will probably start with the single splitter first and see how it goes. For me they have the faster cycle time than my TW-5, and just the ergonomics of being able to stand up right and split would be huge for me. I would think if you had the rounds all ready to go 2 guys could easily split 2 cords an hour on the double splitter. Then they are self propelled as well. One less piece of equipment needed to move the splitter. Conveyor is built in, runs off the same motor as the splitter. The single splitter starts at around $17,000.00 and the double starts at $24,000. A new TW-5 with a conveyor I think would easily be in the 14,000 range. We have a local company that makes processors and conveyors and a 24' conveyor from them is almost 8 grand. I am on my 2nd and last grain elevator that we use for firewood and they just don't last. Spend more time fixing them then you do running wood.

Is that even a 4 inch cylinder? I'm assuming they use that to keep the cycle time down. You should EASILY be able to get 2 cord an hour with the wood they were splitting< especially with the 4 way. I'm not that fortunate to get a lot ofstraight grain stuff like that. I can see how small production guys would like it but wouldn't a processor be in order to cut out the extra handling. I totally understand everything can have it's use but if I were running a high production thing I can see some draw backs

T.Mainus, do you have any pictures of how you process your logs into rounds? I'm a 1 guy show so I use the loader and a 3 prong set of forks to do mine. I use the forks and scoop 4 or 5 logs that are around 14" x 13'4" long, I mark each log using an aluminum bar with holes drilled every 16", I hit the hole with a spot of spray paint and then cut with my 460. I then drop the forks and push the rounds into a pile before going and getting the next forkful of logs and repeat. I then spit using my big splitter.

Cantoo,

We basically do the same thing. We have a grapple for the forklift, one guy running the forklift, 2 guys running the chainsaws. Bring the logs over, we mark them with the Mingo markers, then cut to length. If I'm running the forklift I can usually bury the guys in logs pretty quick, so then ill grab a third saw and cut for a little bit. When we cut we usually cut for a day to a day in half depending on when we finished splitting. At noon I'll put the bucket on and push the rounds up in a pile before we start cutting after lunch. Then push the pile up again at the end of the day. With 2 guys cutting we can usually cut between 10-12 cords in a day/day in a half. If we cut for a day it usually takes 3 to split everything and then start all over again.

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG

There is a guy on YouTube running the Rugged Made 37 full beam that invented?/uses a magnetic wand the length of his rounds. It is a stick no longer than your desired length that incorporates a magnet to adhere to the bar. He then makes cut marks and removes the wand.

UrbanHomesteaders

At 15:24 of this video you can see him use it. Currently I use a pvc pipe and sometimes paint. I plan on using something similar.

There is a guy on YouTube running the Rugged Made 37 full beam that invented?/uses a magnetic wand the length of his rounds. It is a stick no longer than your desired length that incorporates a magnet to adhere to the bar. He then makes cut marks and removes the wand.

UrbanHomesteaders

At 15:24 of this video you can see him use it. Currently I use a pvc pipe and sometimes paint. I plan on using something similar.

MVC-021S.JPG

I made one up a few years ago and use it for the bigger stuff. I found when doing 2.5 - 5ft diameter stuff my eye tends to play tricks as the scale becomes skewed due to the size of them. Just make sure you have a very strong magnet as the vibration tends to make them work there way down. here is an album showing what I did and it starts near the end.

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/sawkeeper?n=0&z=2&c=4&x=0&m=24&w=0&p=0

Thanks T.Mainus that's about the same as what I do then. I'm planning on making a log deck at some point, already have the rollers and conveyors just no time to build it. I cut up about 150 or so logs into rounds at a time. Then a day or 2 of splitting onto my conveyor and back to cutting rounds again.
For me my 12' aluminum pole and a spray bomb is the quickest was to mark my rounds.

The wood season in those bags? T.Mainus?

The bags are designed to season firewood in. They are vented on all 4 sides. Each bag is a face cord. Wood seasons really well, much better than if it was in a huge pile. And the time saved not having to stack and then load the wood when you sell it is the main reason we switched to them. When we were stacking the wood it is saving us at least 2.5 to 3 hours of labor per cord of wood. Used to take me about an hour and a half to stack it and then 45 minutes to throw a cord in the trailer when we sell it. Now I can have a cord loaded in 10 minutes with no stacking. No more wet moldy wood at the bottom of the piles, no clean-up after the wood is sold either. It makes for a really clean operation.

Thanks T.Mainus! Where did you get bags and how much? If you don't mind me asking.

I'd love to try the bags! How much more flat storage do you need then a pile? I pile mine now bc I'm short paved flat storage.

Thanks T.Mainus! Where did you get bags and how much? If you don't mind me asking.

We used bags from Woodland Mills and then we switched over to the Dino bags. The Woodland Mills bags we were getting for around $18 apiece. The Dino bags I can get for around $12 a piece. We can get 2 years out of the woodland mills bags but they do get a little brittle after the first year. You have to be gentle with them when moving them around for the second time. I don't think I will get a third year out of all of them but I might get a third out of some of them. Just depends on how much sun light they get hit with and where they are stacked. The ones in the middle of the pile won't get as much sun as the ones on the end of the row. This is our first year trying the Dino bags so I don't have anything to compare them to. This year we tucked all the straps inside the bags after we set them so they don't get as much sun. We didn't do that last year with the Woodland bags and the straps took a beating from the sun.

I'd love to try the bags! How much more flat storage do you need then a pile? I pile mine now bc I'm short paved flat storage.

You have to figure around 20 to 25 square feet per bag for storage. We bought 48"x42" plastic pallets for stacking the bags on. We stack the bags tight to each other from front to back. But we try to leave 12" on each side of them so we can get the spinner for unloading them around the bag. We did a little over 100 cord this year so you have to figure about 7500 sq ft of floor space for storage.

Back