Preferred technique to work my way up pole-like trunk without gaffs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleMark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone recommend a technique for climbing a tree that defies getting a safe tie-in point (TIP). My tree is like a pole for 30-40 feet and does not allow easy access to offer a safe branch to get a rope over. In other words is there an arborist technique (not using gaffs) to work your way up a tree trunk that works for an older non-gymnastic person? I've got gaffs and lanyards but, I don't want to gaff this live tree. Thanks for the consideration.

What kind of tree?
It's one of a half dozen cottonwoods that have grown fairly close together, and grew straight up like poles, fighting each other for the sunlight (all maybe 25-30 years old). Very difficult for me to get a safe tie-in-point on the one that I want to climb, so I'll need to climb the trunk without gaffs (at least for about 20 feet). Just wondered if there was a standard approach to this situation.

If it's a 30 year old cottonwood just spike it... the spikes wont even make it through the bark into anything alive on the tree. Ok, maybe bad advice and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it. but when dealing with bark that has 2 inch deep grooves in it you have to spike on the high points anyway. Cottonwood is a very fast growing and quick healing tree as well. When you get up to a point where you can climb safely without the hooks, take em off and continue. I've also used a 28 ft ladder to get up a ways in a long branchless trunk.

You are saying there are no limbs high enough to set a line in? Is there a big limb on one of the adjacent trees that you can tie into?

To the OP, if you only need to get up 20 feet to get to some branches you can stand on, get an extension ladder. We do this all the time for conifers that we have to climb spurless. Climb the ladder into the canopy, tie in and then advance your lanyard/climbing line as you climb the branches.

If you have to throw into a canopy on a single stem, a big shot is easiest because it launches straighter than hand throwing. If you go around a branch, don't isolate that branch (unless it's huge), make sure you climbing line goes around the stem, in case the branch breaks, there will be others to catch you. You only need to get up to where the branches are large enough to climb on, then just climb on the branches advancing your lanyard as you go. Slow, but effective.

If it's a 30 year old cottonwood just spike it... the spikes wont even make it through the bark into anything alive on the tree. Ok, maybe bad advice and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it. but when dealing with bark that has 2 inch deep grooves in it you have to spike on the high points anyway. Cottonwood is a very fast growing and quick healing tree as well. When you get up to a point where you can climb safely without the hooks, take em off and continue. I've also used a 28 ft ladder to get up a ways in a long branchless trunk.
Thanks for the feedback. The ladder idea is good for me (being an amateur arborist--I tie the ladder to the tree at the ladder top). I was also looking for any known "shinny up the trunk" types of rope techniques that I could consider as an option to casting a line to establish new tie in point.

Back