Premix 101: Oils, Ratios, and Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run the oil that lubes the engine. I've run stihl ultra @ 50:1 for 8 years full time in the woods and only grenaded 1 saw. My oldest one and it had almost 4 years full time in the woods. Had one bottom end over haul at 2 years and ran like a race car till it died. I cut timber not fire wood. Not going easy on saws either. Production cutting
215503d7499c258aa6040c100a1b6f3d.jpg
3f768fb72d565190ca6fb8473ecda604.jpg
bcb27933c0bc7f2308543daf0a53623e.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

...stihl ultra @ 50:1 for 8 years full time in the woods and only grenaded 1 saw. My oldest one and it had almost 4 years full time in the woods. Had one bottom end over haul at 2 years and ran like a race car till it died...
Maybe the saw blew because the piston disintegrated due to wear/metal fatigue? Trying to interpret the pix...

Good read Brad. Thanks for sharing :)

Run the oil that lubes the engine. I've run stihl ultra @ 50:1 for 8 years full time in the woods and only grenaded 1 saw. My oldest one and it had almost 4 years full time in the woods. Had one bottom end over haul at 2 years and ran like a race car till it died. I cut timber not fire wood. Not going easy on saws either. Production cutting
215503d7499c258aa6040c100a1b6f3d.jpg
3f768fb72d565190ca6fb8473ecda604.jpg
bcb27933c0bc7f2308543daf0a53623e.jpg

The inside of that can is pretty dry. While the color is good, it's what I would want to see on my spark plug, not the muffler.

Alright guys.

I read a little ways back and I promised not to give warning points for what happened before this point so I won't. But I suggest those involved read below and take heed.

1) A few of you need to learn how to engage in an adult discussion without personally attacking anyone who doesn't agree with you. I really don't care what your experience level is if you cannot act like an adult in here. It won't be tolerated.

2) If someone else attacks you, this DOES NOT make it ok for you to start flaming away. And if you were involved it won't help you to point fingers after a mod shows up either.

3) You guys work in an industry that supposedly is known for colleagues giving each other a hard time. Why is it that some seem to have such thin skin when sitting behind a computer screen????

4) For the life of me, I can't understand why people get so darn pissed off when arguing about something like oil!!!!! We have dozens of threads and thousands of posts on this topic. Someone disagrees with you???? Who cares! Move on!!!

Please use the "report" function if you feel a post is violating site rules. And feel free to use the "ignore" feature for someone who just isn't on the same wavelength that you are.

so which bit is total BS then?

NOS Mack mechanical tachometer (0-3200 RPM) with hour meter (17MT389P1??).

Attached Thumbnails
  • $_35.JPG

• $_33.JPG
    • $_33.JPG

• we can all see its not this part, the pic will have to wait untill the morning as i dont keep my saws tucked up in bed with me.
  • tangst
Nice ANTIQUE gauges. However, nearly nothing built in the last 30 years uses them. Hours are electronically measured by key on time, regardless of rpms. They'll count hours with key on and motor off.

I think it blew because it was used to death. We have a whole fleet of saws and rarely have internal engine problems.
Good to hear. The logging crew next door ran their saws dawn to dusk without issue; the Cat 525 skidder was another story with blown hydraulics and tires. Big $$$ to repair and the job would get shut down for a day each time.

Nice ANTIQUE gauges. However, nearly nothing built in the last 30 years uses them. Hours are electronically measured by key on time, regardless of rpms. They'll count hours with key on and motor off.
I said that I was old school in measuring engine hours, the piston up the page shows what happens when components have fatigued & gone beyond their service life of revolutuions, I have machinery with both types of hour meters & the electronic meters dont start recording untill the engine is rotating by the way of an oil pressure switch or spark or alternator induction.
thansk

All I know is when I'm cutting I'm working my ass off. That equals hours on the saw to me. By far one of the most tiring and dangerous jobs in the world. There are few who can handle it every day and even less that make money at it. Hand cutting is an art and its fading in this part of the world. Not for lack of work. No one wants to work that hard any more. The pay can be dam good if you're smart and keep at it. Just tryin to lend my hand of knowledge to those that will take it.

Run cheap synthetic and cheap gas at the right ratios and your saw will preform at a production level the same as if you run the expensive stuff. It works. Cheap bar oil too. Doesn't really matter. I've tried em all.

Couldn't have said it better bitz. Keep it simple stupid. Seeing the hand cutting fade away slowly here. I'm not self employed nor an employer, I'm an employee bit I treat all my equipment like it's my own. I pay for nothing for work except my gas to get to the shop my boots clothes and lunch, but the better up keep I have on all the equipment the more money the boss makes and in turn the more money I make. We've also tried it all...... Expensive fancy bar oil and super top notch 2 cycle oil. Hell I'm more picky about the bar oil than the mix oil. Fact of the matter is on a production setting as long and its mixed at the correct ratio and equipment is maintained decently it'll likely last a long time...... Or at least until you smash it with the skidder or a tree.

I said that I was old school in measuring engine hours, I have machinery with both types of hour meters & the electronic meters dont start recording untill the engine is rotating by the way of an oil pressure switch or spark or alternator induction.
thansk
ON A SAW
SHOW ME THAT ON A SAW

Thanxt

ON A SAW
SHOW ME THAT ON A SAW

Thanxt
Here's two, one attached to a saw & one "on" a saw. LOL
I don't know where you got the idea I had one attached to a chainsaw though? It was suggested to somebody else though.
Tanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 56
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Back