Pressure Testing???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahtreelimbs

A.K.A Rotten Tree Limbs
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Amoungst My Saws........Fool That Has Too Many!!!
I haven't pressure tested a saw in a long time. I have this Stihl 361 that I am working on. Starts and runs ok but once warmed up runs like it has a lean condition. I bought a brand new carb, with all the ethanol BS I thought that was the problem. No dice! Next move is pressure/vaccuum testing. I blocked off the exhaust port, intake port. Put v the piston on bottom dead center and am introducin the pressure/vaccuum thru the spark plug hole......anything I am missing?

I haven't pressure tested a saw in a long time. I have this Stihl 361 that I am working on. Starts and runs ok but once warmed up runs like it has a lean condition. I bought a brand new carb, with all the ethanol BS I thought that was the problem. No dice! Next move is pressure/vaccuum testing. I blocked off the exhaust port, intake port. Put v the piston on bottom dead center and am introducin the pressure/vaccuum thru the spark plug hole......anything I am missing?

I don't know if you're already done doing this or not, but you can do it the way you are describing. That is the best way if you've removed the entire intake and you blocked the cylinder intake port directly. Make sure you do another vacuum test with the carb installed to make sure that connection is also correct.

The position of the piston won't really matter. Just make sure the exhaust, intake, impulse, spark plug, and decomp are all sealed.

I disagree Brad, with applying pressure through the plug hole the transfers need to be open to allow the pressure to go to the base.

Before you go to all this trouble try spraying brake cleaner around likely places for air leaks while the saw is running g and hooked up to a tach. If you have a leak you will notice a change in rpm.

Someone posted on AS earlier to turn the crank slowly while testing.
I do this when vacuum testing the seals. Vacuum should move and return to original setting. I always vacuum test as well as pressure test as I've had saws pass pressure test but fail vacuum test. While set up I also pressure test the fuel system and vacuum test the vent system.

I've noticed that the piston will do all the moving by itself when you're changing between pressure and vac.

When using brake cleaner to check for leaks, ours is non flammable, if that's what you were after.

Back