Pretty good day in the woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice buck! Love it when you get one before breakfast.
I got this stag at 7.00 am with my .338 mag. I chased him for 12 months before I caught up with him.

DSCF0009.jpg

I would guess because of the human population. We're talking of a cartridge type rifle, aren't we? The only things allowed for deer hunting in Indiana, as far as I know, are black powder rifles, shotguns with slugs, large pistols and bow and arrows. They have different seasons for each. If it's a 45/70 pistol it would be ok.

Good thing you were just relaying info because that's not correct.

In IN you can use rifles, there are just limits on the cartridge dimensions.

Good thing you were just relaying info because that's not correct.

In IN you can use rifles, there are just limits on the cartridge dimensions.

Are you sure about that? I've never seen anybody using a rifle around here for deer hunting. There's definitely dimensions on handgun cartridges. I don't think you can use a smaller handgun like a .22. I have a friend that works for the DNR who deer hunts. I'll ask him about the rifle hunting.

A friend of mine has a Contender in .30 Herrett. Great cartridge.
I'd like to take that up in my tree stand for deer.

i shot this one on 11-2. dropped him in his tracks. waited 15 minutes, walked up to him, he jumped up and ran. i put the scope on him but i decided not to do a Texas heart shot since he fell when i shot. i followed his blood trail for about 300yds bf i decided to give him some time. i called a tracker and three hours later we go to the woods. he dumps the dogs out bf i can get out of the truck. they strike the deer and take off. 1.1 miles later they lost the scent. i am still sick....i hope the deer makes it....if he could run that far and not fall over, maybe he wasn't fatally hit. i do have another one that is only slightly smaller on camera since then, so i'm still hunting hard. i'm off from tomorrow through the end of the month. i sure hope something big shows!!!

attachment.php

Thats certainly a disheartening experience. The only two deer I've ever lost were the two largest. Both were bow shots. One I shot clean through and had a blood soaked arrow to prove it. After something like that you feel like never hunting again for a while. But you soon get over that:)

i've never seen anything this big on my farm. i have three that are 130"+, but this guy is probably 160". this is the smaller buck.
http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn466/nmurph_01/deer/?action=view&current=179.mp4

this video is deer ####!!! i have hunted deer since the late 70's and have never witnessed this before.

http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn466/nmurph_01/deer/?action=view&current=020.mp4

i have onlly shot one other deer that fell and never twitched....make that two now. i have passed on many respectable deer. i have even shot a buck in 5 yrs. i was near tears as we were headed out of the woods.

i've never seen anything this big on my farm. i have three that are 130"+, but this guy is probably 160". this is the smaller buck.
http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn466/nmurph_01/deer/?action=view&current=179.mp4

this video is deer ####!!! i have hunted deer since the late 70's and have never witnessed this before.

http://s323.photobucket.com/albums/nn466/nmurph_01/deer/?action=view&current=020.mp4

i have onlly shot one other deer that fell and never twitched....make that two now. i have passed on many respectable deer. i have even shot a buck in 5 yrs. i was near tears as we were headed out of the woods.

Man thats a nice buck on that video. I'm with you on letting the smaller bucks pass on. I enjoy watching them in thier world as much as I do taking a big guy. I will take a few does to eat on. I only try to shoot mature bucks. 3 1/2 is an old deer to kill in Va. EVerybody around here just shoots the first buck they see. That is thier right to do so, but it's not the way to be IMO.

I had'nt shot a buck since '08. I got two good 8's in 2008. Just a couple does last year.

I do hate to see one and get away but it does happen. You can only hope that he will make it. Thats a long way for him to go to have not survived. I have seen some deer with holes right through thier chest killed later in life and seen the scars. They're toughness amazes me sometimes. And their heart and will to survive is second to none. I love deer!:D

I have never seen deer actually breeding. Have seen two 8 pointers fight and have heard a few fights. It';s easy to tell a fight apart from someone just rattling. Sounds like a buffalo running through the mountains. Man they really go at it. I watched the two 8's fight for about 15 minutes. Both were very nice bucks also. I'm glad that the loser of the fight had the bigger rack because I had already decided that I just could'nt shoot the winner. I just couldnt.

i saw my first fight this year. actually i was watching a bunch of does in this same clear cut when i heard them start. they were 200+ yds and they were easy to hear. i have heard a few fights in the past, but it was something else to see them going at it. the does were about 75yds away and were oblivious to the scrap. it lasted about 5 minutes with some lulls in the action.

A few years ago I drove up on two bucks fighting about 50 yards from me. I know they saw me because they looked right at me briefly then continued with their fight.

I have a tag burnin a hole in my pocket and no time to hunt! Saturday I hope... but then I just found out I have to work sunday. So one day out the season for me. Oh well, I won't be picky!

Nice deer in this thread. A good change from saws.:D Haven't seen anything but does so far. I've decided this Saturday if a doe pops out she is getting ground checked, 6.8mm style.:rock:

Well guys. I had to post on this thread again. Man it's been a good season!

I have to tell another story.

I was in my treestand today on the edge of an alfalfa field about 20 yds back into the woods. I had a good view down this ridge. I had found a rub the other day that was a 2" tree split down the middle. I knew there was a good deer there somewhere.
Well....I'm sitting there this morning and it's about 9:30 and havent seen a single deer. Once again, I had to go to work and had almost decided to come down when I seen a doe come running by the field edge. Then a pretty good 8 pointer comes out right on her tail. They run back and forth and I was trying to decide whether he was a shooter when I hear a grunt that sounded like a growl more than anything. It was behind me and also downwind. I ease my head around and before I can get turned I already hear the deer running and grunting up the back of that ridge. He comes by me at 20 yards and does'nt even stop to give me a shot. I thought they were going to fight but the 8 pointer just stood there. The other buck goes after that doe and they start back by the front of me about 20 yds. I take aim and whistle, he don't even break stride. I whistle again, then I whoop once, no stop. He's getting on down the ridge and I start firing. I hit him in the back of the neck with the 4th shot. He went down in a hurry. I was so glad I had my lever 45-70 instead of my bolt 7mm because it only holds three rounds. So needless to say, I got another good one. Makes the 10 look small. The rear points are 14" and 12", G3's are 10" and 9". Inside spread is a touch over 17". He's my best so far. Guy at the store said he looked to be a 140-150" buck.
I'm still tore up. I sit in that stand looking down at that buck for close to an hour before I could get down. Wanted to share this one with you guys. I got a few more pics this time. The 10 is already at the taxidermist. He will have some company soon. :D
1124101443b_01.jpg

This is my nephew Tyler. He's 11. I had him hold it to compare his arms to the mass. :hmm3grin2orange:
1124101416a.jpg

He is missing a brow tine. he would have had nine points. Has a crab claw on one side.
1124101414b.jpg

This is my hand, to show the length of the G2.
1124101444a.jpg

Sorry to bring this off topic thread back up but bear with me, I'm on the edge of a heart attack here.;)

Those are great looking deer!!! Congrats!!!!! It has been a weird season here in CT... I got a nice 6 pt last friday...

Oh ya, back on topic... I split a few cord of wood today and noodled up some big wood with my MS460... A good day but not as good as Anthony_Va.'s...

Back