Pretty good day in the woods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice deer!

Here's a side view of the one I posted from this year.

Hope ya'll don't mind...

attachment.php

anthony, you keep knocking 'em down. that is a nice deer. i don't think he is in the 140" class. i would guess he is more like 125", maybe 130". it takes a lot of mass to get an 8pt into the 140-150 class. are you measuring the tine length from the top-most point where the tine meets the main beam? imagine you lay a ruler across the beam without the tine. the bottom edge of the ruler is where you begin the measurement of the tine, measuring along the outside curve of the tine. i'm not bashing you deer!!!!!!!!! he is definitely a shooter!!!!
i have hunted hard since last friday looking for the deer that i posted earlier in this thread. i have passed on several nice bucks including a dandy 8pt and a 17-18" 6pt. i hunted this morning and only saw a single doe. on the way out, i stopped to check a couple of cameras. i got back in the truck and drove about 200 yds, and, wouldn't you know it, he jumps across the road in front of me. this was at 12pm today. i have several new pics of him and he is pretty regular around this camera. at least i know he is still alive!!

Opening day

Saturday was opening day in WI and our crew did really well. It was our smallest ever with only 6, (usually 8-10) and with no snow on the ground and the season being a week past peak rut we cleaned up.

154411_527126043546_52500798_31012840_6654073_n.jpg

8-point with 15" inside spread is mine. Two 1-1/2's, and the big boy on the bottom is a nice heavy 11-point with a 19-1/8 inside spread.

anthony, you keep knocking 'em down. that is a nice deer. i don't think he is in the 140" class. i would guess he is more like 125", maybe 130". it takes a lot of mass to get an 8pt into the 140-150 class. are you measuring the tine length from the top-most point where the tine meets the main beam? imagine you lay a ruler across the beam without the tine. the bottom edge of the ruler is where you begin the measurement of the tine, measuring along the outside curve of the tine. i'm not bashing you deer!!!!!!!!! he is definitely a shooter!!!!
i have hunted hard since last friday looking for the deer that i posted earlier in this thread. i have passed on several nice bucks including a dandy 8pt and a 17-18" 6pt. i hunted this morning and only saw a single doe. on the way out, i stopped to check a couple of cameras. i got back in the truck and drove about 200 yds, and, wouldn't you know it, he jumps across the road in front of me. this was at 12pm today. i have several new pics of him and he is pretty regular around this camera. at least i know he is still alive!!

nmurph:
I measured them from the tip to the top of the mainbeam on the inside of the curve. I never had figured out quite how to score one but I need to check into it. I thought 140 was a stretch too. Alot of people don't realize what it takes to make a 140. I;m not the best at guessing either but I have seen a 160" mounted and it was like nothing I had ever seen before. You can wrap a tape around the base and it's just a touch over 5" in circumference. I have an 8-point on the wall thats 18 3/4 inside spread but the points are shorter. Longest on it is about 8". I measured the spreads at the widest point inside the racks. The 10 point had shorter points too. This is my best so far I believe. The long points just make it look like a beast! :)
I wish that BT was'nt broken off though. I like the split point at the end though, looks cool like that.
I hope you get your big one man. Seems ou always see them at the moment you least expect it don't it? I had found a tree that was about 2" thick and split off like a "Y". A deer had rubbed it so hard he split the "Y" all the way down. I don't know if this one is the one that did it or not. He had been rubbing heavy though. Had it all in his rack. I killed both deer with 300yds.
A buddy of mine's friend killed a perfect 12 up near the coast this week also. I think I still have the pic on the phone, I'll check it out and see. Anyways, it's a freakin monster.

Last edited:
Here it is. It's a beautiful buck IMO. Looks so symmetric on both sides. I'd like to get one like that. My buddy gets to go hunting there because it's kin people of his. He usually goes about the 1st week of December.
thewhopp.jpg

Thats awesome man. I did'nt realize it was that easy. I never really checked into it before. I'm gonna do all mine this weekend. Thanks for that.

update

no i didn't get the big one, but my neighbor got one of the "smaller" ones i have seen on camera several times. i'm not going to say i'm not disapointed, but at least the deer wasn't poached and i'm sure he has passed on his genes a few times. on the positive, it is not the big one that i posted above. the deer is 171 non-typical and 156 typical score.

attachment.php

Thats a heck of a buck man! Is the season still open where your at? I still have a late blackpowder season here till January.

I took a measurement on one of my bucks so far with the B&C link you gave me. This one was 122 6/8. It was the first one I ever had mounted. Killed when I was 20. 17 3/4" inside.
100_1749.jpg

These two were my two best until this last one I got. 10 and 11 points.I hope to get around to measuring them soon. It would be awesome if they were 125" or more. They have more points but arent quite as wide as the first pic. The one on the left has good mass. Theres very few 140" deer killed around here. Everybody wants to kill all the young bucks. I wish they would just kill does if they want meat. I have no right to tell anyone what to do, but if you want bigger bucks you have to pass on the younguns.
1103101909a.jpg

Last edited:
I think TN will let you kill 28 this year if you use a bow, muzzleloader, and rifle season to its fullest. I agree there's way too many dear in Va, Tn, and lots of other states in the region.

we can take 12. only two bucks and one must be at least 4pts on one side.

anthony, your larget deer looks to be 140-145 or so, gross.

yes, gun season runs until early/mid jan.....my season ends 12/29....i am having shoulder surgery on the 30th.

Yea there are way too many deer in Va. The majority are does. Its a combination of the hunters and the state not doing thier part. The state only aloows 5 deer on a normal license. Two bucks, three does. You can kill a doe anytime during bow season but there are only three doe days all during blackpowder and rifle season. Theres not alot of bowhunting done in Virginia. Landowners can get more permits to kill does but none of them ever do. Almost any hunter in Virginia, if spotted a doe and 4 point buck together, will shoot the 4 point.
Virginia could be some of the best habitat for big deer in the country, but it'll never happen if we, or the state, do not do our part.

Nice deer Anthony! This is a pic of one of the bucks I got this year.
IMG_3364-1.jpg

Man that is a dandy buck!!!

I see you're in Ill. I hear thats some great hunting ground.

I would love to go up to Canada to chase some of those 3-400lb bucks.

There are Elk moving into Virginia from Kentucky. They we're brought into Kentucky a few years back. Don't know if that's a good thing or bad though. I'd say if they get populated they will destroy our crops and fences. Would be great to do some Elk hunting in my back yard though.;)

All I know is Il be in VA from the 13th of Dec to the 8th of Jan, and If I see some venison that I can off, I am going to. . . buy some dry ice and a Brown box and its off to the Dow deep freeze. Heart & liver will be sauteed immediately MMMMmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!

Back