Preventing Raccoons from Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see a possum out there frequently, but as far as I know, it doesn't climb the tree and rip the feeders off.

I know zero about trapping or Conibears or whatnot. I'd also be nervous about doing that, given my backyard is visible to others. I'll try shooting the bloody thing first I guess.

I can't see how a coon could possibly climb a tree with porcupine wire properly installed. I guess I'll find out soon.

I even had them unscrew a knurled nut on a corn feeder before. I have no idea how they did it. I had to eventually wire it shut to keep them out. To shoot them I use a .22 with CB shorts in it, very quite, and effective at close range. Should you end up having to take care of the problem permently. ;)

When I live trap them, I spray paint their back with red paint. I give them 2 chances, if they return again, they get the .22 treatment. I have only had one return, and he came from 7 miles away. There is a trap made that looks kinda like a can, put the bait inside, when they stick their paw in there, they are caught for good, but I don't have any info on where to get them. It's made specifically for coons.

That golden malrin (fly bait) is nasty ****. One of our kids pet coon got into some and it is an agonizing death for them, it cause total respitory failure. They won't go far. I've raised six or seven coons from eyes closed kittens and they never stop being destructive, it's just part of their genetic makeup, they will stop being man mean, never attempting to bite, but you can never stop them from climbing and getting into everything they can. I raised my last one, turned her loose about six weeks ago, she can back to eat for about a week, then we've seen her on the creek a couple of times in the headlights.
They are one of the smartest and most adaptable creatures on earth.

Most of the time you just have to shoot them to get rid of them.
It's cheap and effective.

I could put a trap closer to the house, out of sight of neighboring property. If someone could point out an inexpensive, effective, and easily acquired trap, and any other advice (e.g. lure), I'd be appreciative.

The live trap I used was from Tractor Supply. Some Asian made Hav-A-Hart copy. I baited it with marshmallows. There have been lots of rabid coons around here so I always turn them loose before I shoot them and never handle the trap without gloves.
Phil

Why don't you just let the poor things be?

And what the hell kind of 40 year old man busies himself playing around with bird feeders anyway?? You gotta be kidding me with this..

Tractor supply should have live traps and Conibear 220's, but if you don't know anyone to walk ya through things, stick with the live trap.

Tuna Can wired to the back of the cage and a tbsp of tuna or stinky Cat food gets thier attention.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

My neighbor used to feed them. He's an animal nut. He changed his mind though when he found his gutters full to the brim with raccoon crap. So far he has trapped around 30 of them. Its amazing how they can get into a trash can. One night I left my screen door open to the lanai and 3 of them got in there and ate all the cat food. They also pooped in my pool on the steps. I never figured that one out. They came back the next night and were scratching on the screen trying to get in. I took my 410 out and was thinking about shooting them. I decided to shoo them away and they left for about 20 min and then were back. This time I was determined to kill them. When I got out there they split. I swear they knew I meant business that time. Lucky for me I think my neighbor has gotten rid of them.
I say the easiest way is to shoot them. Just make sure you don't shoot your neighbor.

Wrap the aluminum flashing around the tree trunk. Secure it by wrapping a screen door spring around it. That will allow the trun to expand.

OK going to post a very effective method on here one more time, works for about any pesky animal.

Get you some wood blocks and place on the ground just big enough for a cast iron skillet to sit on. Take an extension cord and cut the female end off, take the hot side and splice in a pigtail lamp socket, take the one of its and twist into the ext cord and take the other one normally used for the ground and wire it to the skillet handle, screw a 150 watt light bulb in the light socket, pour bacon grease and dog food or scraps in the skillet. When the coon or dog or cat or whatever puts his lips, hands or whatever body part on the skillet while he stands on the ground he will complete the circuit and electrocute itself. The light bulbs purpose is to up the amperage. Just make sure pets are put up as it is non selective in what it kills.

OK going to post a very effective method on here one more time, works for about any pesky animal.

Get you some wood blocks and place on the ground just big enough for a cast iron skillet to sit on. Take an extension cord and cut the female end off, take the hot side and splice in a pigtail lamp socket, take the one of its and twist into the ext cord and take the other one normally used for the ground and wire it to the skillet handle, screw a 150 watt light bulb in the light socket, pour bacon grease and dog food or scraps in the skillet. When the coon or dog or cat or whatever puts his lips, hands or whatever body part on the skillet while he stands on the ground he will complete the circuit and electrocute itself. The light bulbs purpose is to up the amperage. Just make sure pets are put up as it is non selective in what it kills.

I have a friend that did something similar for squirrels, he scraped the grass away to bare dirt, then wetted the dirt, I am assuming that makes a better ground?

I was ready to pop it last night with my air rifle when something spooked it. Oh well.

I've received my porcupine wire (i.e. Nixalite). Not a good time to ask, but would it be excessively harmful to the tree to insert several 1" wood screws to install this stuff?

Installed the Nixalite yesterday. Last night I had the pleasure of watching that raccoon try several times to climb the tree, only to stop and retreat each time (man those things are agile!). It kept stepping back and rearing up, trying to figure out how to get up there. Then it ran off.

As satisfying as that was, I still need to eradicate this thing. Very recently, a rabid coon was found not too far from where I'm located. Getting rid of the bird feeders is not going to happen.

Why not put the feeders on poles, easy to stop the raccoon going up with a collar on the pole?

Things is, you put food outside, everything is after it. Wait till black bear shows up, time to close up the bird feeding.
-AJ

I think poles look bad and unnatural, especially with baffles on them. Deer can reach feeders hung from all the ones commonly sold. Raccoons can climb them without baffles.

There hasn't been a documented black bear sighting in my county since before 1971. There has hardly been one in all of central NC in that time as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for talking to me like I'm 5 years old.

Poles suck. They look bad and unnatural, especially with baffles on them. Deer can reach feeders hung from all the ones commonly sold. Raccoons can climb them without baffles.

There hasn't been a documented black bear sighting in my county since before 1971.

My yard, my rules.
That's a little harsh. Moss has done nothing but add to this site over the years. Take a deep breath.
Phil

If you use a live trap, a 55 gallon barrel with water works well. Make sure that the water is deeper than the trap is high and put the entrance end of the trap to the bottom of the water. Wear heavy gloves when moving the trap.

Latest posts

Back