Preventing Raccoons from Climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bird feeder

we had bird feeders, brought in all kinds of nice birds, bird seed dropped on ground, brought in all kinds of nice rodents, rodents on ground brought in all kinds of nice coyotes, coyotes ran out of rodents, so they ate 2 of my cats, thought about shooting coyotes,researched "shooting coyotes" by shooting coyotes it just brings in more coyotes, shot bird feeders. no more coyotes, rodents are gone, still have nice birds around and 1 cat remains alive. to fix the problem: get rid of the bird feeders. you can feed the racoons dog food, or my parents put there bird feeders on steel 1 inch conduit staked in the ground about 9 feet high away from trees, bent a curve at the top to hang the feeder, or go to any hardware store, they sell ornamental stands also.

maybe you should just try standing out there at night with one hand on your hip and the other pointing and shaking a finger at the raccoon as he eats your free seed, maybe he'll feel guilty and run away.....

Yeah, OK.

I'm not taking the bird feeders down. Yeah you still get birds without them, but they're incidental. When you have as much landscaping as I do (esp. with evergreens) and feeders and water, birds love you for it. I have all sorts of birds nesting on my tiny property, in large part because of the food.

Bears? Coyotes? Why has no one mentioned dinosaurs? Anyone want to try dissuading me with that? Or sasquatch? I can get a 10 gauge and handle him as well.

The feeders have been undisturbed since I installed the Nixalite. To me that's the main thing.

Yeah, OK.

I'm not taking the bird feeders down. Yeah you still get birds without them, but they're incidental. When you have as much landscaping as I do (esp. with evergreens) and feeders and water, birds love you for it. I have all sorts of birds nesting on my tiny property, in large part because of the food.

Bears? Coyotes? Why has no one mentioned dinosaurs? Anyone want to try dissuading me with that? Or sasquatch? I can get a 10 gauge and handle him as well.

The feeders have been undisturbed since I installed the Nixalite. To me that's the main thing.
there was a bear sighting here a year or so ago and a friend killed a coyote this past fall not to far from Concord so don't think just because you don't see them they aren't out there....

Back