Price for facecord of firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbooga:

If I mentioned 'face cord' to a friend, he might envision the attached image. (Props to Husky455Rancher). :)

That's a beauty!
You DID make a table out of that slab, right?[/QUOTE]

That pic was originally posted by another member, who goes by the handle Husky455Rancher. (Re-reading what I posted, it might have been confusing - someone could have easily reckoned that I cut the sad cookie with a husky, which was not the case.

As for the relevant question, round here all sales are based on cords or fractions of a cord. There a place not far from me that sells for $250/cord; $150/half; $90/quarter; $50/eighth.

All the local papers run alongside the firewood ads language defining acceptable measurements as required by the Dept. of Ag, Markets, and Food.

Going to add a question.

My buddy ran into a guy today. That is looking for misc. wood un split in 3' chunks. And said he was paying around 340-350 per cord. Which seems rediculous to me. How much do you guys charge for bulk unsplit cords?

He doesn't care if its hardwood or not.

Going to add a question.

My buddy ran into a guy today. That is looking for misc. wood un split in 3' chunks. And said he was paying around 340-350 per cord. Which seems rediculous to me. How much do you guys charge for bulk unsplit cords?

He doesn't care if its hardwood or not.

He may be talking pulpwood cordage which is different. Wait that is still ridiculous:confused: Is there gold filling inside:laugh:

for that kind of price might as well sign up with oil,Ng or pg guy. Just looked up pulp wood cord, goes by weight not dimensions most of the time, varies with species but say 4700 lbs per pulp cord. That might not be too bad

Last edited:
He may be talking pulpwood cordage which is different. Wait that is still ridiculous:confused: Is there gold filling inside:laugh:

I forgot to mention that price was the price delivered to his door. From some one 40-50 miles away. Were much closer and can deliver much much cheaper. But still don't know what to base the price of a cord for that. I mean you don't have the same expences or time into it like splitting. Mainly just cut, load and deliver. So would you knock off say 40% off your price for split wood or what?

$140/face cord, 1/3cord, mixed hardwood but contains at least 50% oak, hickory or locust, in the Milwaukee area, from well respected, year-round firewood businesses.
Many folks might bristle at the regional measurement, but there are 30yr old companies using the measure, and they have a consistent, verifiable definition of the amount, day in and day out, in racks at their establishments. Really, a face cord is 43cuft rounded up, or 32sqft by an accepted 16in length of cut. It's simple math really.

Anyway, this post is directly related to the OP.

Last edited:
$140/face cord, 1/3cord, mixed hardwood but contains at least 50% oak, hickory or locust, in the Milwaukee area, from well respected, year-round firewood businesses.
Many folks might bristle at the regional measurement, but there are 30yr old companies using the measure, and they have a consistent, verifiable definition of the amount, day in and day out, in racks at their establishments. Really, a face cord is 43cuft rounded up, or 32sqft by an accepted 16in length of cut. It's simple math really.

Thanks, wdchuck!

Customers Understand Math?

Wait a minute. You are trying to tell me that a firewood buying customer is going to understand what a face cord of wood is when they can hardly figure out what a cord is?

We sell gasoline by the gallon. Let's start selling it by the face gallon. It will sound cheaper, right? :dizzy:

Wait a minute. You are trying to tell me that a firewood buying customer is going to understand what a face cord of wood is when they can hardly figure out what a cord is?

We sell gasoline by the gallon. Let's start selling it by the face gallon. It will sound cheaper, right? :dizzy:

Sell it by what ever you want to call it, and most customers still won't know what amount it is unless they have ever cut it themself. :)

If the question was asked how much for a 1/3 cord, answers from good people would be different. Hell, I should have all metric tools by now. The man that asked the question was not trying to pull anything over any ones eyes. He was just asking a $ question. I know money is important to my family of five. Times are rough and people like me are looking to save money or make money to keep our simple life styles. A fair price for a fair product.
I hope Rick, face, load,cord and all LxWxD all sleep well tonight. This winter the BTU's will be needed.

Guess I'll need simple math explained , how do you figure 32 sq.ft.....that makes no sense to me !!

32 sq.ft.? i would(wood) be guessing that it is a "FACE CORD" OR 4 FEET HIGH AND 8 FEET LONG BY 16 INCHES WIDE TO TOTAL A RICK ... BUT THEN I AM ONLY GUESSING !! :confused: = NOT !!

Your 3 dimensions have to be cubic , square does not belong measuring like this .

Last edited:
Sounds like a swindler to me.

If a customer comes up with wierd names and prices etc., I go back to the basics and just define what I have to offer. Like the people selling "ricks" of fire wood. What is a "rick"? Thats why most states (Oregon, N.C., KY & TX I know for sure to name a few) mandate that the term "Cord" is the only term that can be used to define how much wood is being bought.

What I see here is a big bag of chips half full of air.

A ranch around here charges $1.28 per cubic foot of wood (u-cut). Another charges u-cut by the truck load.

The instant the wood is cut into the user length, it must be sold in terms of a "cord".

I smell fish.............:monkey:

16 " does not figure into the equstion !! 4 feet by 8 feet total 32 sq.ft.... to make a "face cord" or rick ... all cords as defined by weights and measures are 3 ricks to a cord of 16 inch wood!!!

32 sq ft as a volume measurement is meaningless. You have to have the 3rd dimension (height in this case) before it makes sense and then you have cu ft.

Harry K

Back