Price per cord

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which brings me to another question-any of you guys ever set up a satellite wood yard in a different area? I could probably at least double my sales if I set one up in that area.

If you could do such a thing on the cheap, it would probably work great, especially if people could see it, maybe a small sign with your number. I think the key to making any money in firewood is to be brutal about keeping your overhead down. If you have to pay rent on anything, I'd say it will eat your profits right up, unless you're moving hundreds or thousands of cords per year. So if you can find a spot at least cheap to rent, if not free, I'd say go for it. Still gonna have to burn gas at some point to get there and back, though it will be less than hauling the whole way.

I'd definately have to run some numbers. I even told one customer over there his high school kid and some of his football buddies ought to buy 20 cords to split and sell. But I'm taking him a load over tommorrow. I guess high school kids don't need $$ nowdays. Thats one thing about firewood up here it always sells. Those kids would net about $2200.00 even with picked up only.

Firewood Prices in Omaha

These ads say it about right:
FirewoodAd.gif

Quality varies, however. Figure $200 a cord for really good seasoned mixed hardwoods (two 1/2-ton pickup truckloads). One truckload packed to the gills is still less than a cord. See my avatar. That's 73 to 75 cu ft, mounded almost cab high in a 6' box.

In an 8' box you might get a cord in mounded cab high but most pickups would have trouble hauling it. The engine could pull it, but the frame and suspension would be overloaded.

You will never find that kind of price around here . $185-$200 delivered not stacked was the going price 10 years ago. Seem to cheap taking into account the price of fuel nowadays - saw, splitter & truck.

Agree that price is too low.

You will never find that kind of price around here . $185-$200 delivered not stacked was the going price 10 years ago. Seems too cheap taking into account the price of fuel nowadays - saw, splitter & truck.
Amen to that. The going price for firewood around here has killed about all motivation for anyone to try to operate a firewood business. People burn natural gas, and many have converted their wood firelplaces to NG. 'Tis a shame. They all think they are being "green" by burning NG and propane.

Even the tree trimmers just throw away the pruned branches. And, the highway construction crews just pile up the trees and set them on fire alongside the road. They make no effort whatsoever to allow woodburners or even dealers to collect and process for fuel the piled up trees that they rip from the ground, roots and all.

It sickens me.:mad:

yeah SPED, I have a buddy up around albany (Schoharie county) and prices up there are alot higher. Supply is lower and demand is higher it seems. Down here not as many people burn and there is alot of firewood. But my prices are a little low because Last year was my first year selling and I am trying to get a nice local customer base. which is working sold 5 cords last year within 2 minutes of my house!

Interestin'. Up here we're selling honest oversized cord seasoned fir 180 or so delivered, 25$ to stack if its not down two flights of icy stairs. Seasoned maple goes around 225-250, oak up to 300 sometimes more, arbutus (madrone) 300+. Alder runs 160-180, a bit more than pine usually. Average price for seasoned cord of fir is around 180 though and slightly more during the winter as the supply gets low (if you can find any), in the cities it can be considerably more and we don't have a lot of hardwoods so they tend to be pricey.
Got into some nice dry old second growth fir this afternoon at the woodlot (most will be donated as we are lookin' after a number of families this year),(hey, burning some as I speak), 20-30"diam, I still consider it the cadillac of wood for up here, a beautiful burning wood.
blathered enough fer now :D

:cheers:

Serge

Back