Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

pricing logs?

Discussion in 'Forestry and Logging Forum' started by mga, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Woody912

Woody912 ArboristSite Guru

local sawmill told me ash prices are still stable in this part of the world. His scale count did not match mine, then I figured out he was using Doyle and I was using INt'l. Which ticks me off. Doyle is a major screw job under 24" diameter. If you have access to a good trailer load them on top of a chain so they can be lifted off and haul them yourself after you find an interested buyer

2. mga

mga wandering

wesstern NY, the land of taxes and strict laws
    we just added some oak logs to the pile and i'll be cutting several huge cherry trees down this week. we don't have any thing large enough to haul them. there is a potential buyer coming up to look at them maybe next week. i told the owner of the golf course to not expect a gold mine out of the logs because they have been sitting for at least two months or more.

right now he just wants to get rid of them and if he can make some money on them, it'll pay for our lunches. ha ha

thanks for all the input!!

3. Woody912

cherry prices are in the toilet around here, couple yrs ago it was right up there with white oak

4. Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger Timber Baron

Was thinking about going back east to cut some more green gold, but was wondering if rotary and slicer have held their value?
    Would be nice to know what to pay on the stump. I ain't paying anymore than a buck a foot on bush run timber. That's roughly 500$ per cord, which is a pretty slimey way of measuring wood Lol

olyman and SeMoTony like this.
  5. Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger Timber Baron

When I walk into a bush, I can see it, I can smell it, I can hug and dump it. If I say its worth 10g's on the stump, then there is a pretty good chance you'll get 17,500 once it's veneered out.
    Stay small, keep it all!

olyman and SeMoTony like this.
  6. Woody912

Walnut is still good but cherry and red oak in the toilet. #1 hard maple dropped from $700/mbf to $500 overnight couple months ago at the local sawmill ( delivered) seems like you got to be on top of the market to know what to sell and when

SeMoTony likes this.
  7. Trever

Trever GB mill 076 Super Stihl

I know this is an older post, but click here for the TN's Forest Products Bulletin. Have a blessed day.

8. Gypo Logger

Gypo Logger Timber Baron

In some ways I'm glad I got out when I did, but it is all relative. When I left the hardwoods in 07 a two faced clear sided sawlog was worth a buck a foot with 1/3 heart and A+ rotary hard maple veneer was worth 7$ a foot US.
    I could do well on a 1/4 of that, knowing what I know now.
    I still have another kick at the can or two. Hand logging as we know isn't very physicaly demanding unless your working steep ground.
    Rolling with the punches is what it's all about and finding your own nicque.