Problem fell

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a bad tree to fall, burned out hollow stem, lean.

lean_zps3mhhkg2o.jpg

birmed_zpsq1whicj7.jpg

I've been looking at that thang since last spring. Finished up the mess left by another snag next to it a bit early today so decided to put it down.

Chained tightly using a chain binder to prevent chairing and try to hold together what little remained of that area. not much but a very thin shell on both sides, some thicker on the back.

chained_zpszccyullp.jpg

Put a weakening cut through both sides of the sell. The odd cut to the left was my start before I realized it was headed wrong and too far back.

Started to chair as soon as I had the bar buried but the chain held. First "pop" and I was outa there and waited...and waited, pops and creaks about every 5-10 seconds but cut not opening up. Back in to cut a bit more, more and louder popping/creaking while I waited.

One more quick cut and it was obvious it wouild go...and did but slowly enough to let me get well away and watch as it finally gave up.

down_zpsihvsfdi9.jpg

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT APPROACH but don't have a clue how to do it differently....other than primacord or dynamite ;)

One of those situtations I approach with the old indian attitude "It's a good day to die".

Now, this is just a newb guy, but I dropped a similar style tree, except the lean was in the opposite direction. For me, I put in a small notch, bored it then cut the back strap. As soon as I started to cut the tree went. Maybe that would have worked, but you really didn't have much wood to work with. I think overall your method and safety precautions were the best plan. In the end, its on the ground and you are still here to tell us about it. Good job!

Just curious. Besides this method what method would folks recommend for dropping trees like that?

I was hoping for some other ways to do it also.

The fire that burned it out was done by me on a day with a bit of a breeze. Center of a confused tangle of deadfall, half dead trees, tall weeds and grass. Hadn't planned on a wild fire, just burning a brush pile. Fire couldn't go anywhere except in the immediate area and it was a good help to me...except for that tree. Even there it probably was a 'good thing' as if it handn't burned that out I wouldn't have known how bad the tree was, would have put in a normal undercut and probably gotten my saw jammed.

You just did a single cut instead of a notch - I hadn't thought of that for leaners. In principle that seems like a really good idea to me. If your back cut lined up, I bet it would have gone down well. (I have the toughest time lining up back cuts).

Smart move on the chain, of course. Were you able to get it off again without too much difficulty?

Watching this thread closely. I have a handful of large Aspen to drop this fall that are of similar integrity although all of the rotten core is still there. All will be dropped with the lean. Aspen are not normally prone to chairing though, they usually just disintegrate near the cut.

You just did a single cut instead of a notch - I hadn't thought of that for leaners. In principle that seems like a really good idea to me. If your back cut lined up, I bet it would have gone down well. (I have the toughest time lining up back cuts).

Smart move on the chain, of course. Were you able to get it off again without too much difficulty?

LOL. I first had it chained with the chainbinder across the burned gap. Then realized that wouild be under the log. Moved it around to the side. When all the uproar was over the chain was laying loose, butt had shattered into so many pieces.

I probably would have started from the top and chunked my way to the bottom. But if you don't have the right toys, err I mean tools then I think you did the best you could. [emoji38]

Hello, my name is Brian and I'm a toolaholic!

The tree looks to be Willow. Next time use the dynamite method.

That is Willow. One more down out of a 1/4 mile row of them I am removing for a farmer...and so that I have something to do. I'm an old man and a firm believer in "use it or lose it" so I work with chainsaws every chance I geet. Currently working on cleaning up 2 groves.

I know I talked about it before, but I was wondering my woods and came across the stump of the tree I mentioned earlier. Grabbed some photos.

The rot didn't extend thru the whole tree, but it was pretty punky. I notched the side that had a solid ring, then popped those two back straps. All cuts made with the lean, though not nearly as sharp a lean as you had. Either way, this was one of those trees that had me sharp, focused and ready to bolt.

Rather slow of pics in the firewood forum, decided for an update.

Took me 4 work sessions...albeit short ones due to a heat wave, about 3 hr each, to work it up. Have 3 big brush piles waiting for the torch next winter from just this tree plus a companion one next to it. Have around 10 other piles also waiting for the torch.

40%20inch_zpsuhokszvj.jpg

Wound up with somewhat norht of 1 1/2 cord and still have the butt log to do. Von pulled it off the ditch for me the other day, may work on it tomorrow.

Surprisingingly, the burned out section had good wood in it...if one wants to work with that dirty of wood. Mike decided he would do it as it will be fodder for only his shop stove. I cut it to 12" rounds and noodled it, he'll pick it up 'one of these days'.

I've cut a few like that. I still do a notch but make it pretty small to avoid pinching the bar. Then I cut the far side 1st then cut the side I'm standing on so that I can get out of the way safely.
Uncle, I too used to have problems matching my cuts up. Then I started putting a piece of rope around the tree where I want my cut then I use my paint spray bomb and paint the rope. I then remove the rope and there is a nice line right where I need to saw. No more guessing. Works really good on big trees.

I've cut a few like that. I still do a notch but make it pretty small to avoid pinching the bar. Then I cut the far side 1st then cut the side I'm standing on so that I can get out of the way safely.
Uncle, I too used to have problems matching my cuts up. Then I started putting a piece of rope around the tree where I want my cut then I use my paint spray bomb and paint the rope. I then remove the rope and there is a nice line right where I need to saw. No more guessing. Works really good on big trees.

I really like that idea. Somehow my back cuts always wind up too low at the hinge point.

I just realized that the pic of the log is right where the "What a mess" thread was. Then you couldn't even see through the mess, now there is nothing but a few stumps left. The willow clearance project is making good progres. My cutting partner, Mike, is taking a tree now and then also.

Back