Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrade! Product Reviews

Discussion in 'Support & Announcements' started by Darin, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Darin

Darin The Big Kahuna Staff Member

Hey Guys,
    We are adding a product review section to the site. You can add products that you want to review as well. See some screen shots below on how to use etc.
    Here is a sample review that I created. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/wicked-tree-gear-hand-saw.285101/
    They will be moderated in case there is something similar or missing some specs etc.

Pictures below
    Create Item.png (where you would go to start a Product Review)
    takes you to review.PNG (Takes you to actual review itself)
    where to give review.PNG (Give it a star rating and give reason below in box)
    where.PNG (Where you would go to start or give a review)

This is not an area where you are allowed to put a group of saws, name it some random thing. If it's an Stihl 036, the put that it's a Stihl 036 Chainsaw. Please do not put "Stihl Beauty" or something to that effect. You can do that in the main forum.
    I was also thinking for the discontinued saws you can add "uploads" and put the parts lists and user manual PDF's so this could become an awesome resource. If a product is already posted and it doesn't have the IPL or user manual listed. Just email me the link and attach the PDF's you would like me to upload. I will post them for you.

Let's build this to make it a great resource for everyone.

Please ask questions if you have any.

Attached Files:

2. aokpops

aokpops Addicted to ArboristSite

That's nice .

Linda Mac, neely and Darin like this.
  3. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

What about damning and completely deserving negative reviews? Lord knows there's a few products and/or people selling them that others should avoid. Or is this a fluffy white clouds of contentment sort of product review area? If the latter, I'll do a Uniforest tractor winch review. If the former is allowed, I'll do a [sawmill manufacturer's name withheld, for now] sawmill review.

:D

Freehand, Linda Mac, neely and 5 others like this.
  4. MillerModSaws

MillerModSaws USE2COULDBESPONSER!

Is there going to be a sponser link to follow! :)

Scotty otty likes this.
  5. mga

mga wandering

wesstern NY, the land of taxes and strict laws
    reviews could be helpful to consumers when thinking of buying a product. hopefully those who are writing any, be they favorable or not, would be mature enough to stick to the quality or value of the product/item and not the company selling it. (often they don't make it)

some times when a company offers a product, they want feed back on it because if it's not a good seller, they won't continue to buy it either if the consumer doesn't like it. this could be a good thing for those in the business, instead of purchasing some thing then finding out it lacks quality.

if the review is about the manufacturer, again, the review should be on the product...not on the manufacturer.

just my opinion. that way it keeps peace between the AS and advertisers who pay.

6. PogoInTheWoods

PogoInTheWoods Pissed AS Patriot

Seems to me like it'll just be another oil thread / wee-wee contest platform.

Moderator heaven.

7. Darin

I just want honest reviews. Whether you like it or not. I don't think you should rate a star to it if you haven't used it. I also agree with MGA. For instance if you have a winch from Harbor Freight, did you think it would be a Warn quality when you bought it? You have to rate something based on what it cost you in my opinion.
    As far as advertisers, I am going to make it where they can buy a spot to bring you right to the page where they sell that product. This could be a year or two before this part catches on.

8. skippysphins

skippysphins Addicted to ArboristSite

Sounds like a good thing

Darin likes this.
  9. PogoInTheWoods

Adherence to well-defined guidelines will certainly be key to the effectiveness of the thread.

I hope it works out as a productive forum feature. Good luck with it.

LegDeLimber, Islero and Darin like this.
  10. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Darin,

Thanks for the description. I did not know what to expect when that popped up, and it seemed to take me to a different part of the forum.

I think that it would be helpful to post expectations or ground rules at the top, similar to the Trading Post, if you want to keep the format different than posts in the general forum.

For example, are questions OK, or do you just want reviews from folks who have used a specific product?

Philbert

11. Darin

yes questions are fine I think. You don't have to "rate" it to ask a question.

Philbert likes this.
  12. KenJax Tree

KenJax Tree Terraphobic

I see another opportunity to clash opinions

13. Darin

As always, as long as people are decent about the manner, this should be an issue. If you want to be ugly, the comment gets to go. There is a decent way to say you don't like something. If you think being an ass is the only way and censoring that is wrong, then yeah, I have a difference of opinion on that.

14. KenJax Tree

KenJax Tree Terraphobic

I agree with all that, but it seems some can't handle a difference in opinion.

DSS, farmer steve and WKEND LUMBERJAK like this.
  15. PogoInTheWoods

That's why upfront guidelines are important. Even better would be a questionnaire/survey type format common to all products with an end-result rating that would also allow for comments once completed. That would ensure at least some degree of desired participation before comments could be made. Should drastically weed out sniper attacks and random idiocy. It would obviously require some upfront development, but if implemented well enough could tremendously minimize undesired results and diversion from the intended purpose.

Use a different form for questions, but eliminate the free-for-all format that will certainly derail somewhere along the line otherwise....or require excessive moderation which will also create a different degree of conflict and even the perception of tainted results slanted toward the best interests of AS and not necessarily the product review process.

Food for thought before this thing is officially launched just to crash on the pad.

Not trying to be difficult, here. Just realistic....., and practical.

16. Trx250r180

Trx250r180 Saw polisher

Is anything chainsaw related ok to review ? Grinders, chainsaw mills ? Bars ? axe's ?

skippysphins likes this.
  17. capetrees

capetrees Addicted to ArboristSite

You are SO wrong!!

:D

thomasjf, Pelorus, j74paw and 2 others like this.
  18. Darin

There will be....Anyone can add a product to "review". I added one as an example cause he sent me a few saws to sample. As a favor I added them (but didn't review yet). It has the option to add any of those. It will take an army to add products. That is why it is open to all to do add a review. I may have to add things like bars and grinders. I don't have a section for that I don't believe. I can do that this evening.

wde_1978 likes this.
  19. Trx250r180

Trx250r180 Saw polisher

Also do the reviews have to be sponsor sold products ? Like if no one but the dealer sells a stihl usg grinder for example are non sponsor products ok ? Or is this to support the site sponsors products ?

Greenthorn likes this.
  20. Darin

It doesn't have to be sponsor related. This is not sending them to be bought some place, this is a review if it is good or not. Every review can be "sponsorable".