Project Saw: Which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, so time for another project saw. Was thinking in the 65 to 75 cc (around there) size. Sorry, I am partial to Stihl, but have never really played with other brands.

Was thinking about something like an 045. Yes, it's an older saw, but thats what I like, the older saws. Mainly used for firewood purposes. Want something to take over where my 028 leaves off. I like my 028, but, need something for the larger stuff. I heat with wood as much as possible. About 6 cords per winter.

I want something where parts are still somewhat available. I don't mind "worn out" saws. I like to tinker, so a low compression, needs a rebuild saw is what I will probably end up with. I feel rebuilding them helps me to learn the workings of the saw, allows me to get to know the saw, and in the end, I will know what was done to the saw.

So, looking for suggestions for a saw with a good reputation (the reason I bought and rebuilt my 028), parts still somewhat easy to get, (even aftermarket parts), and while I am a Stihl fan, I am open to suggestions of other brands. I need a winter project. Thanks, KD

if you go the 045/56 route.. make sure the ignition is working...

I'd get a 56 over a 45, and specifically an 056M2.

An 044/028 combo is Great!!!
Parts are plentiful.Big plus.
Plus there are alot of tired old 44's around.
Besides an 044 just Rocks !!! :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

If you shoot for an 038 I would suggest getting a Mag or Mag II. An 038 AV is too heavy for its displacement, kinda like having a heavy 036.

ever messed with a 038. i have a old 048 for sale check the tradin post:chainsaw:
The 048 Is not too bad,I have two myself buuut,the parts are getting scarce especially the ignition moduals.

The 038 especially the Mag is a dandy,may be the best Stihl ever made.If you know how to tweek them even an AV is a runner.Oh,heavy I suppose is in the eye,or rather the back of the user.

Latest posts

Back