Propane now 99 cents / gallon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah 30lbs at $30. Propane is around 4.25lbs a gallon, so thats 7ish gals or around $4.50 a gal. Might be off a little bit, just quick math in my head. Those are RV tanks?

Point being was it wasn't very cheap, least not compared to $1/gal. One of my friend's lived in a camper for a winter, said that a tank lasted 2-3 days at best and that year it was running just under $5/gal. He ended up finding a place with heated storage and moving it in there for much cheaper!

If you buy a small order (under 200 gal) it is $1.59 here, over 500 gallons is $1.29 or 1.19 if you pay within 10 days. I just ordered 501 gallons so that should last me until next year for my gas fireplace, water heat, and range

you reacted much diff.. id have fired them,,and called the compettitor...liars and thieves.........

I agree with oly, I would have saved $200 and went with someone new
Oh believe me when I say I have no love of our current propane supplier. But I didn't really want to go 4 or 5 days without hot water since the gauge was at zero (I'm actually surprised we didn't run out.) That would have been the perfect opportunity though and I could have spent the $160 savings towards a hotel if needed. Would have scored husband/dad points for me I guess too! Looks like I'll have to score points another way and just be satisfied with the $2500 I'll save by not using propane to heat my house.

Really it's my own fault for not watching the gauge close enough. I'm calling earlier next year and the cheapest fill will get my business. What I really need to do is search for my own tank to buy then I can shop for cheapest fill every time.

Oh believe me when I say I have no love of our current propane supplier. But I didn't really want to go 4 or 5 days without hot water since the gauge was at zero (I'm actually surprised we didn't run out.) That would have been the perfect opportunity though and I could have spent the $160 savings towards a hotel if needed. Would have scored husband/dad points for me I guess too! Looks like I'll have to score points another way and just be satisfied with the $2500 I'll save by not using propane to heat my house.

Really it's my own fault for not watching the gauge close enough. I'm calling earlier next year and the cheapest fill will get my business. What I really need to do is search for my own tank to buy then I can shop for cheapest fill every time.
if you don't own that tank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and the co that put some in does,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you would have been in a world of hurt, if someone else put any propain in....and the owner found out... yup,,get your own tank,,then your at the mercy of no one...

if you don't own that tank,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and the co that put some in does,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you would have been in a world of hurt, if someone else put any propain in....and the owner found out... yup,,get your own tank,,then your at the mercy of no one...
Around here, if you own your own tank you are responsible for watching the gauge and calling when you need it. You are also responsible for maintaining the regulator. If you ever have a leak they won't cover it. If you lease s tank from the company and it leaks they cover the lost gas. They also do the maintenance on the tank and regulator. Also if on keep full and you run out they will come fill it for free. If you own the tank and need an emergency fill after hours you pay a hefty service charge. Just things to think about when deciding weather to own your own or lease.

You got me curious and I called my supplier to get a summer fill price........$1.79/gal. Think I will be waiting a while to see if it comes down anymore.
I am surprised to se how much prices vary around the country.

Around here, if you own your own tank you are responsible for watching the gauge and calling when you need it. You are also responsible for maintaining the regulator. If you ever have a leak they won't cover it. If you lease s tank from the company and it leaks they cover the lost gas. They also do the maintenance on the tank and regulator. Also if on keep full and you run out they will come fill it for free. If you own the tank and need an emergency fill after hours you pay a hefty service charge. Just things to think about when deciding weather to own your own or lease.

You pretty much summed up what I was going to say to @H-Ranch about owning your own tank. I have two 500 gallon tanks, #1 is my tank and #2 is theirs. They are linked together (I paid my LP guy to do that work for me) so if #1 runs dry I can open a valve and pull from #2. I try to draw from #1 first for one important reason... When it gets low, I can call whoever the cheapest guy is and have them fill it up without any penalties from my LP company (it's my tank!). #2 gets checked and usually filled about this time of year (at my LP guy's lowest price of the year), and I always make sure to call around for better deals before having him top off #1. I may or may not also have the ability to fill #2 from #1, which allows me to pretty much do what I want, when I want. ;)

Last time propane got this low Asia bought a bunch and then they blamed the shortage on the grain farmers. Then prices jumped back up to $5 to $6 a gallon by late winter.
The long cold winter didn't help any. I felt stupid for burning wood that August but by late January I was very happy I burned wood. Have not filled the house tank for three years. Still full.

You pretty much summed up what I was going to say to @H-Ranch about owning your own tank. I have two 500 gallon tanks, #1 is my tank and #2 is theirs. They are linked together (I paid my LP guy to do that work for me) so if #1 runs dry I can open a valve and pull from #2. I try to draw from #1 first for one important reason... When it gets low, I can call whoever the cheapest guy is and have them fill it up without any penalties from my LP company (it's my tank!). #2 gets checked and usually filled about this time of year (at my LP guy's lowest price of the year), and I always make sure to call around for better deals before having him top off #1. I may or may not also have the ability to fill #2 from #1, which allows me to pretty much do what I want, when I want. ;)

That my friend is a nice loop hole that you have figured out!!! I went through the same decision making process when I was deciding to either buy my own or lease from the Coop. Granted I happen to work for the Coop that I get my gas from but I have found is around here I have never found a very significant price difference between companys. By the time I figure in the dividend I get back from belonging to the Coop, I can't save any money by buying gas from a different company. I buy 1,000 gal of gas on contract in the cheap part of the year and they keep her full. If the tank needs repairs they get her fixed up at no charge to me. They power wash it and paint the tank every couple years too. I didn't see the value in buying my own tank.

That my friend is a nice loop hole that you have figured out!!! I went through the same decision making process when I was deciding to either buy my own or lease from the Coop. Granted I happen to work for the Coop that I get my gas from but I have found is around here I have never found a very significant price difference between companys. By the time I figure in the dividend I get back from belonging to the Coop, I can't save any money by buying gas from a different company. I buy 1,000 gal of gas on contract in the cheap part of the year and they keep her full. If the tank needs repairs they get her fixed up at no charge to me. They power wash it and paint the tank every couple years too. I didn't see the value in buying my own tank.

I usually don't see much difference in price either, but the companies around me don't all switch to their summer rate at the same time, so if I need LP I just call around to find whoever has their summer rate going and will give me the cheapest fill-up. I didn't buy the tank I own though, it came with my house when I bought it and everybody just threw their hands in the air when I asked who owned it (called every local LP company just to be safe, all said it was not theirs... finders keepers I guess :p). First thing I did was remove all the badges I could find (except mfg name/mfg date/certification stamp) and paint it a different color. You're spot on though, not worth buying your own tank outright unless you can find a killer deal somewhere. Sometimes letting someone else handle the maintenance is the best option. Especially when you've got wood to cut and chains to sharpen. :cheers:

tell yah what.. the sob,,that run the co I got muh gas from, knew from the day he took over, that the gas valve on the tank leaked..i told him,, and the sob wouldn't come fix it......so I went over there,,and said I needed a new gas valve,,and the arrogant filth said for what!!!!!!!! my best friends son,, worked for this puke once..........so I knows what I speak of...he handed me a new valve,, and said, how you going to get it on!!!!! DA!!! when I gave him the old one back,, he said hed rebuild it,, and put it on someone elses tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the scenrio didnt end there, either,, as I had a later episode when they wanted to charge me 150 a year to rent the tank.. you can guess what ensued!!! MUCH more bs ensued!! including him trying to cheat me out of 200 gal of gas!!! I now have muh own!!! I slight talk with his boss,,TWICE,, straightened out his anal cavity.............

The plan I'm on I'm already responsible for watching the gauge - at least then I get to choose when to fill it. We use about a tank a year for hot water, dryer, and stove so recently it's been on summer fill price. On the fixed plan some people are locked in to $2.59/gallon now - that may have been good last February, but not so much right now. If I don't use enough, then there will be a tank rental fee, but that has not been the case so far. I do need to get my water heater hooked up to the OWB so usage would be even less. If I get 1000 gallon tank I can fill it up when the price is low and last a couple years. As far as emergency fill I don't think it would come to that - the worst part is I would be out of hot water. As far as painting the tank... I'm trying not to feature it anyway, so a couple of gallons of garage sale paint would be just fine by me. Already the tank I have has been here 7 years and it's never needed paint. And I think I do have a pretty good source for tanks - heck, I bought two already to build the OWB!

You do have me wondering how often regulators need to be serviced/replaced. I'm thinking it's a good risk though depending on how much less I can buy propane for by comparison shopping.

The plan I'm on I'm already responsible for watching the gauge - at least then I get to choose when to fill it. We use about a tank a year for hot water, dryer, and stove so recently it's been on summer fill price. On the fixed plan some people are locked in to $2.59/gallon now - that may have been good last February, but not so much right now. If I don't use enough, then there will be a tank rental fee, but that has not been the case so far. I do need to get my water heater hooked up to the OWB so usage would be even less. If I get 1000 gallon tank I can fill it up when the price is low and last a couple years. As far as emergency fill I don't think it would come to that - the worst part is I would be out of hot water. As far as painting the tank... I'm trying not to feature it anyway, so a couple of gallons of garage sale paint would be just fine by me. Already the tank I have has been here 7 years and it's never needed paint. And I think I do have a pretty good source for tanks - heck, I bought two already to build the OWB!

You do have me wondering how often regulators need to be serviced/replaced. I'm thinking it's a good risk though depending on how much less I can buy propane for by comparison shopping.
Same applies here. You can go on a "will call program" in which case you call them when you want gas and they come fill it. Again, if you happened to run out they will charge you for a service call, same deal also applies regarding tank rental if you don't burn enough fuel. As far as the contracts go, I look at it the same as farming, you market your crop for the best price you can garner at the time. While I agree that if you have gas left at $2.59 a gallon it probably seems like you are being raped but you have to remeber that was probably a good price at the time you bought it, we can't have it both ways and neither can the company. You figure in the winter demand time,the gas man is filling your tank with $4.00 gas that you paid $2.59 a gallon for. Plus if you still have gas in the tank that you paid $2.59 for it means you have surplus and didin't run your tank dry so thats good news. If you could predict the future and what prices would do a guy wouldn't have to worry about money in the first place.

I know if you fill 100 lb tanks it is much higher about the same as filling a 20#er, they charge you by weight, the big tanks they charge you by the gallon. The 500 gal tank lease fee is zero as long as you get at least one fill per year. My total charge was .99 cent per gal. I think you guys paying more are getting screwed.

I know if you fill 100 lb tanks it is much higher about the same as filling a 20#er, they charge you by weight, the big tanks they charge you by the gallon. The 500 gal tank lease fee is zero as long as you get at least one fill per year. My total charge was .99 cent per gal. I think you guys paying more are getting screwed.
I agree, just not sure what to do about it. I use very little gas, so I'll just sit on the 25% in the tank and keep an eye on the prices.

not sure what the price of profane is around here.......have a 500 gal tank out back and a propane boiler in the basement, but that's all backup since fall of 2004 when the OWB arrived. Oh sure, I shut 'er down in the spring of 2005, but after a month of going outside in the a.m. and jumping in the car to go to work and not having that smoke aroma to enjoy and not seein' a wisp of smoke coming out of the stack, I couldn't take it and fired the old girl up again and haven't looked back. With five in the house (two teenagers) we go through a lot of hot water and I figure we'd be spending about $90/month from May through Sept on profane so we keep the OWB going. Just yesterday I had the three kids out in the woods to get a trailerload of small, downed, junky stuff for summer burning.....told them if they want a hot shower every day then they're gonna help with the cause; they also help with the main wood gathering for the winter as well as 4 or 5 face cords for the spring syrup season, wife says I work them too hard and I flat out say b.s. and that if more kids were exposed to a solid work ethic this country would be in much better shape (sorry for the rant, I feel better now). Anyway, I really enjoy the idea of keeping the profane man at bay, it's a win-win: more money in our pocket, doing the woods some good by using up stuff that would otherwise rot, and it gets me and the kids off the couch.

if more kids were exposed to a solid work ethic this country would be in much better shape

You've got that right!

My kid had a table come over on his left hand the last day of school breaking 3 bones and splintering a 4th - or his azz would be out picking wood this summer too. He "lost" (I took it!) his 3DS for a week because we have to remind him to clean the litter boxes, eat at a reasonable pace, and get ready for bed every damn night, but he has no problem remembering what he's got to do on the daily tasks for his phucking video games (he just turned 13 and his mom's refusal to allow me to beat his rear has proven that it's a bad approach). When he hits 18, he better pray he gets into college because I'm kicking his butt out!

Propane was 5.00$ a gallon and limited supply in northwestern pa in January two years ago . Shortages are common and prices spike out of control as soon as fall hits. . If your getting up at 2 to load your wood stove , then it's time to look at new unit . Woodstoves have come along way . There's no sense in waking up in middle of the night to reload these days .

Back