Propane prices?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i
Got my yearly tank of propane today 1.74 dollars a gallon. Just wondering what it is around the country or world. Gas is 2.50 a gallon here about an hour outside of Buffalo ny.
I take 20# to be filled local (Bismarck, MO) $14 include tax. Wal-mart $23 for 15# can which is same size. I have not looked long enough to find a means of translating a gallon into large tank w/ 20# hi pressure.

I filled my bbq tank yesterday. $2.69 gal. I had two 30lb tanks I wanted filled, but they where out of inspection. They wanted about $50 to do the inspection, change out the valves to the new style, and fill with gas. I decided I didnt need them right now. Only reason I bought any gas was because I am trying to finish the sheet rock in my carport and this cold weather isnt letting me do any work
Too bad they ar 30#. Wal mart help doesn't pay that close attention in dark, cold. I swap my bad out with them, mine are20# tho.

Too bad they ar 30#. Wal mart help doesn't pay that close attention in dark, cold. I swap my bad out with them, mine are20# tho.
Back when they decided to phase out the old non safety valve tanks I had several of them. The hardware stores wouldn't take them in on trade them and the propane distributor wanted to charge you more than they were worth to replace the valve. Folks brought dozens to the dump and the dump employees were instructed to fill them with water and once frozen it would split the tank to disable any future use.

Walmart and gas stations either didn't know or didn't care because lots of us "upgraded" our tanks with them to get one with the new valve.

I still have one tank with the old valve and it is stenciled with the local Maytag dealer's name (long defunct) so I thought it was kind of cool to keep.

Many places will refill.

I've done the tank swap at Walmart and judging by the hours of usage, I don't believe they give you a "full" tank compared to getting it filled from a local vendor.
When I read the sign at one of the rhino outlets that happened to list it (many don't) The weight was listed @ 15# so cost per was around double at $23 /15 # vs. $14/20# So to stand & watch- shoot scmitt with a personable family member of store rather than flustered wl mrty minion lot more pleasant all the way around. Your millage may vary

I think anymore, the exchange places dont care if the tanks you trade in are up to date or not. I have never had anybody check a tank I traded in. Refilling tanks is a whole new ballgame. The attendant is supposed to have a certain amount of training, limited as it might be, and even I can recognize a old style tank with out having to look at the date on it. For one thing, the new style valves have external as well as internal threads. The even newer valves will have a triangle knob instead of a round one. My 30lb tanks only have internal threads on the valve. I am seaching youtube for good forge plans to make out of my old tanks if someone wants to post one up.

My friend just bought 1000 gallons of propane for his farm for 71 cents a gallon through some co-op. Yet I just paid 2.85/gallon today to get my forklift tank filled, just goes to show how huge the markup is. We're all in the wrong business.

I have a drift hose on my 1k propane tank for filling my propane mower tanks. Cost $125 from propane distributor installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I traded all my bad 20lb tanks in at home depot I think they use amerigas and I take them to the Indian reservation to get them filled they are tax free and like 11 dollars to fill they used to be 8 dollars. My parents take their rv there to fill the propane also since it's a lot cheaper

I just paid $1.69 today for around 100 gallons to top off my tank north of Atlanta. Much better so far, though, than the 900 gallons I bought last winter before getting my flues re-lined and the wood insert in the basement this summer. Still jealous of the prices I'm reading from the northerners, though!

Went in to get a couple filled the other day ahead of big storm! Gal where usually fill says "valves are no good" ok so I went next door to wally- world swapped for two shiny new blue rhino's took them back and had her top them off for me!! For what wally- world charges for the amount of gas in them , they can afford to change valves or just pitch the tank!!

Mine is $.899 per gal. Locked in this past summer on contract. Everyone in the subdivision is the same. I think they could make a lot more money as the dumb asses seem to stop at 1 house per day instead of getting them all while they are in the area! I think the outfit needs a transportation/delivery director! Further note, I pay a once a year tank rental of $65.00. Was going to put in a buried tank, but would have had to pay full cost on that, around $1,800.00 I think. Then with the laws on getting them recertified/checked how does that pencil out?

Mine is $.899 per gal. Locked in this past summer on contract. Everyone in the subdivision is the same. I think they could make a lot more money as the dumb asses seem to stop at 1 house per day instead of getting them all while they are in the area! I think the outfit needs a transportation/delivery director! Further note, I pay a once a year tank rental of $65.00. Was going to put in a buried tank, but would have had to pay full cost on that, around $1,800.00 I think. Then with the laws on getting them recertified/checked how does that pencil out?
Well, based on your price (and svk's) of 90 cents a gallon or less, I don't see how anyone could possible sell firewood for over $130 a truckload, assuming a truckload was 1500 pounds of wood. Let's do the heat content math:

1,500 pounds of firewood = (132 lb/MMBTU) x ($130/ 1500 lb) = $11.44/MMBTU

$0.90/gallon propane x 0.092 gal/MMBTU = $9.76/MMBTU

Propane at 90 cents a gallon is 14.7% cheaper than firewood sold at $130 per 1,500 lb. Unless I can load more than 1,500 lb of firewood on my truck, I cannot compete with today's cheap propane if heat is all that my customers want to buy. To be competitive, I have to either lower my truckload price or get a bigger truck and deliver almost a full ton for $130.

Yea a couple years ago my neighbor was selling heaping wheel barrows of wood for 10 dollars or u could go to the gas station a few miles away and get a bundle of 6 pieces for 10 dollars where as a cord goes for 75 here and 125 when you get near the suburbs or city. Cords are more of a standard pricing

o_O

Are you referring to a face cord or full cord?

I think it's close to 5$ a gallon here, but our gallon is bigger and our dollar is lower. A 20# bbq bottle costs about 20$ to fill.
Wally & others around here charge $23 range for 15# tank. Amerigas or rhino same. Get her filled at family owned store 20# $14 . Only go to wally for replacement of tank unless some show up at auction. Been $ 3-5 per tank with propane at some auctions. If I had room in my car I could of got 23 tanks for less than $1 each and had some great lakes sized bobbers (-;

I think it's close to 5$ a gallon here, but our gallon is bigger and our dollar is lower. A 20# bbq bottle costs about 20$ to fill.
20 pounds would be just under 5 USA gallons (4.15 lb/gal). Hard to believe propane costs that much in Canada when it's so cheap in Minnesota. On the other hand, we went over that price a few years back when Obama shipped all our reserve supply to China. Propane prices skyrocketed right in the middle of the heating season. The timing was "perfect."

Latest posts

Back