Proper storage of outside equipment?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texican65

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys. As I collect more gear, I'm running out of garage space. i keep my prime equipment for home use in my garage, my '67 John Deere mower, all my saws, primary generator. i've got a splitter now, and a back-up generator somebody gave me, I've got to store them outside in my open shed/barn. It's awful wet/moist up here in the pacific northwest, I'm afraid them being outside..even though under cover and dry from rain...will damage them somehow, not to mention rodents climbing all over them and building nests in them. Should I cover this gear with a tarp or clear plastic sheet? Any other tips for keeping my gear protect from the elements?

I just worry because a friend gave me a barkbuster auger wood splitter a few years ago, it had sat in a shed for many years, not being rained on. It didn't have any spark, and when I took the old Briggs & Stratton 5 horse apart, the only thing wrong was the flywheel was rusty, and the magneto too. A good cleaning got her firing no problem...lots off moisture in the air.

Thanks,

Dow

Having every thing inside is always best, but, I don't have that much inside space. Cheap tarps work OK. I've found that sitting out side, if all other maintenance is kept up on, really only hurts the paint. When my Dad was in business our trucks, chippers, stump grinders, and loaders stayed out side. My 57 Ford tractor never saw shade. My 66 Massey Ferguson lived in a barn till I got it. I try to throw tarps over them. But, usually the tarps wind up on the wood piles and the metal sits out. I live in the DC metro area and it's very wet and humid, much like Oregon but smaller, Joe.

I too want to utilize the garage as a work space, and store some motorized equipment in the wood shed. In the past I have had trouble with mice making nests under engine shrouds and chewing wiring insulation. I do not want to use poisons as we have two dogs and two cats, and several owls very close by the log piles. Is there something that repels mice that I can put around the engines? Same with the big truck when it sits outside in the winter mostly unused. Mothballs don't seem to work.

I have had a lot of success using the fresh cab pouches. They sell them on Amazon or at TSC. I used to have problems with mice in the shed, now I leave the hood of the GTs open with a couple pouches in there. No problems even over winter storage now.

Personally I see the problem moisture in a few areas.

1. The ground. I would not leave my equipment on regular earth. The moisture in regular earth goes in two directions, first from the rain into the earth and second in dry periods from the earth into the air. In effect causing the correct moisture amount to garentee metal decay even in every time of year.
So I would at least be sure that you have a very good draining floor under your equipment like rough gravel.

2. The covering. I would make sure that the sides are uncovered on all sides to ensure constant air circulation. Futher it should extend far enough out to the sides that no direct rain can reach the equipment. Material is simply personal choice.

3. Rust protection. I have good experience with motorcycle chain grease out of a spray can. I sticks quite strong to whatever it is sprayed on, flows easily in cracks/etc. and can survive a few years. Of couse your equipment will look ugly/dirty/etc. but rust will be held in check. Last it is quite cheap. There are many other different products with similar properties out there.

I have some woodworking shop tools that get infrequent use, drill press, and such. Flat surfaces, table saw, drill press table, etc. I cover with 3/16 sheet goods. I've tried WD-40 without much luck. I'll have to try the motorcycle chain lube. Yes it attracts dust, dog hair and such, but who cares if it keeps moisture from pitting machined surfaces. The best thing is of course to just use the equipment.

I too want to utilize the garage as a work space, and store some motorized equipment in the wood shed. In the past I have had trouble with mice making nests under engine shrouds and chewing wiring insulation. I do not want to use poisons as we have two dogs and two cats, and several owls very close by the log piles. Is there something that repels mice that I can put around the engines? Same with the big truck when it sits outside in the winter mostly unused. Mothballs don't seem to work.

Bucket mouse trap jpeg.jpg

traps in all the outbuildings .. I clean out 40-50 mice each fall and keep the traps year round. Also watch out for squirrels, they chewed through two plastic fuel cans and the fuel tank on my string trimmer. Pellet rifle or rat traps for those.

For covers look into surplus military tarps they hold up for years. Don't seal things in just cover from the rain/snow. I have two old full size tractors that have been fine outside under the tarps. They come with good grommet/tie downs. If you need more coverage in an open type shed lumber covers can be had for free at most lumber yards.

For you guys talking about spray on rust inhibitors, check out Fluid Film. It's an excellent lubricant, and very well regarded as a rust preventer (so much so that one of it's main uses is as an underbody treatment for cars. Also, it's made from lanolin, which is great. Grease and oil work too, but personally I like not getting my hands and clothes covered with petroleum products.

The guys on the tractor forum are always recommending it, so I bought a case online. It's seriously good stuff.

Have room for a car port garage thing? Can get something like a 20x30 for a few grand.

I prices a 30x60 for over my processor, 120 mph wind load, 60psi sniw, they install, was about 10k... ie... cheap.

IMG_4799 (1).jpg
Texican65: I have the same issues with flywheel/magneto's every spring on the conveyor, which sits outside, and the stuff in the shed as well if not used regularly. One year I pulled the engines and put them on a shelf for the winter. Now, I don't even cover, I just pull the engine, do a through cleaning, oil change, fresh gas in the spring. It's mice that chew on wires, and gas cans when things are stored, or go unused for months that's the worst. Being surrounded by firewood and open on three sides makes it a challenge. I'd like to put the snow blower out here also but have not yet. The other as yet unmentioned item in this thread is everything is more susceptible to theft in out buildings. I guess I should invest in some sliding doors, and cameras for those unwanted guests.
Lots of good suggestions on here....Thanks
ValleyFirewood: I have looked at the ShelterLogic round top buildings with great interest. I am surrounded by trees that are constantly dropping small limbs. Maybe someday on a more open piece of property. Would love to set up under something like that to work, open on both ends in the summer, close up one, or both ends in the winter. Very nice and affordable. There are a few large ones around here for horse arenas.

Bucket View attachment 585686

traps in all the outbuildings .. I clean out 40-50 mice each fall and keep the traps year round. Also watch out for squirrels, they chewed through two plastic fuel cans and the fuel tank on my string trimmer. Pellet rifle or rat traps for those.

For covers look into surplus military tarps they hold up for years. Don't seal things in just cover from the rain/snow. I have two old full size tractors that have been fine outside under the tarps. They come with good grommet/tie downs. If you need more coverage in an open type shed lumber covers can be had for free at most lumber yards.

Another variation that I have had excellent success with is fill the bucket about 2/3 full of water and then add just enough black oil sunflower seeds to cover the surface. Add a 2x4 for a ramp and the vermin just jump in....

I've had pretty good luck with simple dryer sheets for keeping the critters out of my equipment. A half dozen tied around wires and hoses seems to work, and you can get them at the dollar store.

View attachment 585803
Texican65: I have the same issues with flywheel/magneto's every spring on the conveyor, which sits outside, and the stuff in the shed as well if not used regularly. One year I pulled the engines and put them on a shelf for the winter. Now, I don't even cover, I just pull the engine, do a through cleaning, oil change, fresh gas in the spring. It's mice that chew on wires, and gas cans when things are stored, or go unused for months that's the worst. Being surrounded by firewood and open on three sides makes it a challenge. I'd like to put the snow blower out here also but have not yet. The other as yet unmentioned item in this thread is everything is more susceptible to theft in out buildings. I guess I should invest in some sliding doors, and cameras for those unwanted guests.
Lots of good suggestions on here....Thanks
ValleyFirewood: I have looked at the ShelterLogic round top buildings with great interest. I am surrounded by trees that are constantly dropping small limbs. Maybe someday on a more open piece of property. Would love to set up under something like that to work, open on both ends in the summer, close up one, or both ends in the winter. Very nice and affordable. There are a few large ones around here for horse arenas.

Rust on a flywheel shouldn't cause an issue, least I've never seen it. If that were the case they would be painted and not left raw iron.

Another thought on storage... a connex. Tough, secure and fairly cheap. Around here 40ft cans can be bought for in the 4-5k area.

Rust on a flywheel shouldn't cause an issue, least I've never seen it. If that were the case they would be painted and not left raw iron.

Another thought on storage... a connex. Tough, secure and fairly cheap. Around here 40ft cans can be bought for in the 4-5k area.

Rust is only a problem on the steel contact plate mounted to the flywheel.
I did not plan on getting a connex, but after a fuel leak and weighing the options, I am very happy with a connex or shipping container.
I helped a friend put up a fabric shelter, and that did not draw me any closer to that option. I also have a wooded lot with trees and limbs which weighed heavily against it as well. Another fabric shelter consideration was security.
Connex address' each of those: it can be locked up; tree limbs dropped on it; and re-sold when no longer needed. It also allows the option of placing a second connex parallel to it at a later date and covering in-between for more storage or work area. True the delivery cost is money spent but not a deal breaker.IMG_9985.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9985.jpg
    IMG_9985.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
Back