Psg caddie plenum Temps overfiring

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tupmoore

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a psg caddie add on with a 6 " double wall flue about 15 feet long, The manometer shows a draft of 0.05 at the outlet of the furnace.

I've read post on here about less overall heat but longer duration, my concern is I'm not burning as hot as I should be. I've also read the forums on creosote, I get it in the exchangers, my wood is seasoned about 2 years and moisture tested below 15 percent. I read a forum the other day about keeping the barametric damper closed for the first 10 minutes or so this must be to get the flue temps and fir box temps higher. Thus making more heat.

My concern is I am not getting the unit as hot as it should be. Any thoughts?

I don't have the caddy, but I don't have that problem. Some people with poor drafts may have this problem.

Draft should be read 18" away from furnace. With a 15ft flue I doubt you even need a baro. A simple damper is likely a better choice than a baro. As baro's introduce cool air into flue- thus leading to temp problems further up the line. Can lead to creosote problems. Baro's are a catch 22 difficulty.

You read this you read that sounds like your reading too much . The question is how is it burning in YOUR setup . Are you getting reasonable temperatures are you getting long burns with minimal creosote buildup

The best way to get both firebox and flue temps up is to open it up and let it burn wide open. Then once it's reached temp, start to close it down and throttle it back.

A 15' chimney should not require a barometric damper. With a 15' chimney and a barometric damper, you won't hit recommended draft throughout the fire. Personally, I would remove it. You need a good draft, and 15' would be pushing it.

Back