Pucker factor.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I climbed a tree today that made me a little nervous. It wasn't a difficult tree or a scary tree, but it gave me the heby jebys none the less. Funny how that happens some times.
It had a slight lean then it kind of corked screwed at 80 ft. Bending over at even more of an angle then rest the top shot out at almost 45 degrees. All the big heavy branches were on the low side. A strange looking pondorosa pine as I ever saw. Had to take it against the lean. I had to limb it almost all the way up cause it was so top heavy and dead. I was worried the hinge could break.
It went perfect but I had to really put a way a unrational fear. This isn't the first time in my career this has happened.
Just wondering if anyone else ever gets these feelings sometimes? For the record im fearless.Lol

Get that feeling from time to time. I've only ever completely backed out of a tree once and that was the owners call because he wouldn't get what I said I needed to do it. You're a seasoned pro Wade(?), you know when things are safe for you to handle. You also know when to say no.

I Don't climb trees, but I've puckered a few times running skidder when coming close to tipping.

I get that when I am in a tree was topped by some hack 5 to 10 years earlier. I get a good TIP but still wonder what else got mutilated that I can't see until I am up and in it. Too many times they have something that if I was heavier would have been a disaster.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Had that yesterday in a large redgum, got boosted up in the bucket to 16m then climbed out. Straight away I had a strange feeling and felt very nervous, which is odd for me. Managed to remove the tree I worries, was a complicated climb that really kept me thinking till the whole lot was rigged down and on the ground

Being new to climbing ( a year plus now) I get that pretty often. Not nearly as often as I used to but still, it happens. I used to get it every time I was on spikes alone but I'm becoming more confident and comfortable every time.

I look at it this way, feeling like that keeps me on my toes and lets me think out the situation to make sure I stay safe. When you rush you get hurt, and I've had my share of a few close calls because I was rushing and didn't pay attention.
I'm sure we all have.

Yep. Was in an Elm last month with a corkscrew near the top. I definitely took a long look before getting above it. We'd been rigging over the droplines all day but I made sure to change the way the bullrope ran to avoid stressing the corkscrew laterally. Other than that it was a really fun climb.

I climbed a tree today that made me a little nervous. It wasn't a difficult tree or a scary tree, but it gave me the heby jebys none the less. Funny how that happens some times.
It had a slight lean then it kind of corked screwed at 80 ft. Bending over at even more of an angle then rest the top shot out at almost 45 degrees. All the big heavy branches were on the low side. A strange looking pondorosa pine as I ever saw. Had to take it against the lean. I had to limb it almost all the way up cause it was so top heavy and dead. I was worried the hinge could break.
It went perfect but I had to really put a way a unrational fear. This isn't the first time in my career this has happened.
Just wondering if anyone else ever gets these feelings sometimes? For the record im fearless.Lol

I hear ya, Wade!
But now remember when you were 30 years old, that maybe what you are feeling, your are getting, lol, thats life,
Have fun and be safe!
Jeff :cheers:

Fear is a good motivator for safety. All too many times emphasis get put on speed when in fact taking our time to check twice takes very little time. I find on the rare occasion when i'm spooked its sometimes best to do a different tree or focus on clean-up that day. Sometimes it is not an option though so I get it done. Sure is nice to have the wraptor as sometimes a repel and ride back up changes my mood especially on the bean poles in the ides of March. 20 mph wind is not a friend :p

As much as I try to see/feel from the ground - I've def. reassessed stuff from off the ground....I often approach a tree in one manner and shift my approach a few times when I start to get up close and personal. In practice I generally bid high and come in low.

I rely on a "feeling" which is a composite of several real and less real information/data points.....If I'm not feeling it? we arrange brush, or split wood or do something different....My business is small and flexible & my customers appreciate and understand tree "defects", weather, and other impacts...

You have to know the difference between having a little fear because climbing a big knarly tree can be scary, and a situation where there is a real reason to be scared, apparent or felt on a deeper level.
I think being scared and overcoming it is a type of addiction. If your fearless your dangerous, if you let fear rule you your useless. Its a fine line.

I learned to climb from my father. I watched him climb since i was twelve. I started climbing at 16. Ive only ever seen my father get out of one tree. I watched him warn a diffrent companys climber two days after that before he went up my father hated the tree didnt feel right nothing was a **** job from get street. My dad told him over and over until the guy started to get upset with my father. It was an elm 60ish foot. Later that day we had heard there was an accident with a company. Come to find out the climber had tied into the tree and went about it as nothing was wrong. The tree cracked at a croch about 24ft up and the top fell out where he was tied into. He also had a flip line around the tree. He was on a diffrent stem about 40ft up the one broke and his rope laid accross his shoulder and the stem that broke tried to rip him out but instead the flip line held and it broke the guys back. They say he folded in half.. My father swears that if you ever get that feeling you will know. Its not the same as not likeing something about the tree he said its almost a get sick feeling. He said he felt dark and scared when he was in it not just nervouse. Thank god ive never had that feeling i hope i never have it either safe climbing yall.

Back