Pulp, PNW style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 1/2 acre small lot caught my eye in northman's post.

3 years ago a neighbor cleared his 1 acre lot next to me.
No idea what it cost him, but he'd paid $300K for the acre so probably had plenty $$. At least he only built a single family dwelling vs. putting 8 houses there!
For clearing, guy dropped off a D10 (for an acre!!!??) and big Link Belt excavator and big tub grinder and semi truck, done in 2 days. Was mostly alder, only 1 or 2 fir bigger than 18". One of the other neighbors salvaged 6 or 7 cords of alder. Contractor told me back then the tub grinder chips sold for all of $7.00 (seven, Lincoln and 8 quarters ) delivered to the mill, not even enough to pay for fuel to haul it.( edit $7 per semi load, NOT per ton! ) I'd have just spread the chips and let them rot, but the owner now has a large lawn.

20 years or so ago cleared one of my own acres in back of the house (King county, right at city limits) with just an old D2 but left the stumps, did it just before PSCAA got their gestapo powers, so was able to burn 12 ft dia slash piles. One stump is cutoff about 12 ft high, still about 8 ft diameter, that was a nice tree back in 1910 or so. One of these years before I die I need to saw into that stump and see how many rings left.
Even way back in 1971, wanted to slash burn a 500 ft long 6 ft wide pile along the road (county right of way, trail permit) I put in to the house, Fire dept wanted 12 ft dia piles. I just let them sit and rot and let firewood folks pick at the piles. Good old days are gone forever in urban areas.

Those unfamiliar with PNW populated areas:
Green weenies abound out here. 30 years ago a developer would leave almost 50% of big firs (2nd growth, 15-25" DBH) and built in among the trees - now they put up to 8ea 4000 sq ft 2 story houses on an acre and knock down every tree except for wetland designated areas, where they usually put in a required storm water drainage pond. 7 acres sold 1000 ft north of me 12 years ago, not a single tree was left, now has 55 houses. County and cities now require some trees left, usually in mandated green belt areas, very complicated permit processes out here. And has driven cost of a new house to about $800K even with them packed cheek to jowl with neighbors!!

From what I understand the LO is already into this about 20k just for the permits, design, and engineering.

Septic, house, new driveway, landscaping (if any) all still need to be done.

I'm trying to pull this off without costing them any money, but brush disposal is going to be expensive... so we'll see

The competition bid them 20k for cleanup, plus 3k for moving the equipment in, I shouldn't know this but I do... And they where planning in keeping the timber too...

I may not get ritch, but I'm not going to rip a guy off.

20k for 1/2 acre? We did a 40 acre lot 2 years ago, charged 18k plus took all the timber. It's farmland now.

60+ cords off 1/2 acre? We are lucky to get 10 cords an acre.

What size ex? We gave a 200. Wouldn't want any smaller for log road building and stumping.

its a 120, its small for stumping, but it will work, just slower.

Anything over a 160 gets hard to move, lowboys can be expensive and difficult to load, unload, hire, contact, and generally a pain in the ass to deal with.

My philosophy from the beginning is to keep it small and mobile, 30 yrs ago folks didn't need these massive machines to do the same work, it just took longer, I'm ok with taking longer, cause its more careful, and cheaper in the long run.

As far as 60 cords... we gots taller and fatter timber down here

its a 120, its small for stumping, but it will work, just slower.

Anything over a 160 gets hard to move, lowboys can be expensive and difficult to load, unload, hire, contact, and generally a pain in the ass to deal with.

My philosophy from the beginning is to keep it small and mobile, 30 yrs ago folks didn't need these massive machines to do the same work, it just took longer, I'm ok with taking longer, cause its more careful, and cheaper in the long run.

As far as 60 cords... we gots taller and fatter timber down here

30 yrs ago we used an HD11 dozer and 310A backhoe.
Now have the 200 ex and a 750 dozer for road building.

Hauling the 200 isn't a big deal, it's only around 60k lbs and 10.5ft, so no pilot cars.
The Bucher is a pain, it's 14ft tall, so overheight on a trailer (14.5 feet is the max Gere before permits). Also 95k lbs.

95% of what i do is small acreage, with neighbors and paved roads, getting a lowboy in and turned around isn't always an option.

besides after 4hrs yesterday i can't see how bigger really pays off. bigger means more expensive all the way around, parts, fuel, transport, purchase, insurance.

and if ya hang out long enough you'll notice that even with massive machines we all end up making the same amount at the end of the year... not enough

farmers keep ****ing this up every year' by a big tractor plow 1000 acres a day, but tp pay for it you need 500 more acres, but to ploe 1500 acres you need a bigger tractor, but to pay for it you need 500 more acres... it never really stops once yer in thst mindset yer ****ed and the bank owns you, hence lots of farmers commit suicide.

the alternative is to realize that one little machine if usef right can keep you going and still be profitable, or get a loan and give all of your money to the bank.

95% of what i do is small acreage, with neighbors and paved roads, getting a lowboy in and turned around isn't always an option.

besides after 4hrs yesterday i can't see how bigger really pays off. bigger means more expensive all the way around, parts, fuel, transport, purchase, insurance.

and if ya hang out long enough you'll notice that even with massive machines we all end up making the same amount at the end of the year... not enough

farmers keep ****ing this up every year' by a big tractor plow 1000 acres a day, but tp pay for it you need 500 more acres, but to ploe 1500 acres you need a bigger tractor, but to pay for it you need 500 more acres... it never really stops once yer in thst mindset yer ****ed and the bank owns you, hence lots of farmers commit suicide.

the alternative is to realize that one little machine if usef right can keep you going and still be profitable, or get a loan and give all of your money to the bank.

A 200 is considered on the small side here. Most anyone doing dirt work is running a 300 or 400. I've run little ones, a 200 is just about right. Easy to move, decent on fuel and still enough ass for most jobs.

I played with a 750 last week... boy did it move dirt!

No loan on the 200. Was bought at auction and the first job paid more than it cost. That was 7 or 8 years ago.

We normally don't do anything under 10 acres though. Like the job we are on right now is about 170 acres. Have the buncher, delimber, and 1 648 out there. Owner brought out a wide pad D6 and 330 excavator to put in a barn, gave us the keys to them.

300 sized machines are massive, need lowboy with jeeps to move em here, not exactly easy to maneuver into a narrow driveway or sketchy neighborhood.

I've only seen 400 sized machines on big highway projects, or in gravel pits.

A 200 sized machine still requires a lowboy, and chase cars, and permits to move (over 8'6").

Most of my competition run 120's, or 160's, a couple have 210's.

To put it mildly that big cedar stump, all 48" of it came out in around 1/2 an hour today, with a wee little 120, yes a 300 machine could have plucked it right out of the ground in one scoop, but I could never have gotten it into this job.

Now all that being said, folks want big machines fine, I don't have to or wan't to pay for em.

The big yarder sides and shovel loggers, are running 300 class machines, some are in the 200's but not many, the difference if that they would have this job done in a week, not 5 weeks like I'm lookin at, but they have the equipment and the manpower to get it done... I just have me and a 46 yr old dump truck...

I have no need to load 20 log trucks a day, Hell 20 loads would be a killer month for me. The little 120 has enough grunt to move the bigger sticks, not nimble or anything and a little tippy, but she can move them, without overheating the hydraulics... And she can still pop most stumps without working super hard. Granted if full land clearing was my thing the option of a bigger machine, something in the 200 class would be thought long and hard on, But I seriously question the need for a machine that can toss 3 top 5 yards of dirt with every scoop, on a clearing job, where yer only going to pick up so much duff at one time.

Ultimately there is a point where machine efficiency, becomes inefficient. Ooh yeah I gots soooo much POWER... yet I can't turn around or get between all these stumps, or even get off the pavement and onto the job cause the pavement would be no more.

So go ahead, buy that 1000hp tractor... and the 500 acres needed to pay for it... and next year when you need 1500 hp, and another 500 acres to pay for it. Lemme know how much you made at the end of the year.

We have a couple Komatsu 200's and a 300, and we have to haul them with our 3 axle lowboy, but we don't dig dirt either, we're always in the rock. The dirt guys around here will run a scraper over and take off the top couple of feet, then they're in the solid rock. However, there are a number of dirt guys out here with 120-160 size machines with small rock hammers who dig trench and hammer rock and they work pretty good, they haul em around with dump trucks and backhoe trailers. The only things we haul with our lowboy and jeep and booster is our 120000 lb rock saws and track jaw. And it's not the easiest thing to maneuver into a small job site. A big hoe is great if you can justify it, but most of the time a little hoe will get just as much done without all the headache and other equipment required by a big one.

Oh and northman, I have a few things I'll be emailing you, it's just been busy here with work, firewood, and hunting season going on all at the same time

Haul the 200 with a std 2 axle 25 ton lowboy, nothing special. It's 10ft 6in wide, it's just a $50? permit that we don't usually worry about. 10ft is max width otherwise. Weighs about 22 tons.

Usually permit the buncher, it's about 16ft tall and 45 tons. 14ft 6 I think is max... I'd have to look in my book, we normally hire out to move the iron, it's easier.
Even a 300 isn't that big, only around 35 tons.

Latest posts

Back