Quad setup for firewood/ skidding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
strtspdlx, Steiners are very short, have a narrow wheel base and are articulated. This means you have to pay attention and working a long physical day is a recipe for disaster. Hard to see in the pics but there was a small hill there that I was going up, a small branch in the right spot and a small hole full of leaves at the same time at the rear wheel. The Steiner wheelie over the branch, steering jack knifed just as rear tire went in the hole. This caused it to roll on it's side, luckily my homemade blade was wide enough to catch the edge before it went right over. There is very little room for body movement due to the articulating motion so you are kind of trapped on it and can't do much without getting pinched between front and rear pieces.

Boy that's a nice sled there, my grandfather had a set of double bunks that would be two of your sleds X chained together in between them and he hauled it with his / Now my brothers and I,... 1942 Allis Chalmers Model B.

Here are the boxes I have on the front rack.
I need to build a skidder od some kind.

Here's the box. Only 1 saw fitted now, two is easy. Can put 3 but have to put the two on the sides in angle, do-able but not ideal! The plate protector is 18-inch just to figure out dimensions.
IMG_1088_zpspdbmxmpq.jpg

Other side..
IMG_1089_zpsd01qfpjc.jpg

Some "essentials"... Need some cleaning and also missing a plastic case containing files, chainsaw tool, felling wedges, spare chains... You can also see how the clamping is made.
IMG_1090_zpsxurdbybo.jpg

Also fitted a retractable vise on the front, to keep chains sharp if I already messed my 2 spares. Assembly on atv is approx. 1 min.
IMG_1094_zpsicrsfocg.jpg

IMG_1093_zps6oimxa6x.jpg

Here's the box. Only 1 saw fitted now, two is easy. Can put 3 but have to put the two on the sides in angle, do-able but not ideal! The plate protector is 18-inch just to figure out dimensions.
IMG_1088_zpspdbmxmpq.jpg

Other side..
IMG_1089_zpsd01qfpjc.jpg

Some "essentials"... Need some cleaning and also missing a plastic case containing files, chainsaw tool, felling wedges, spare chains... You can also see how the clamping is made.
IMG_1090_zpsxurdbybo.jpg

Also fitted a retractable vise on the front, to keep chains sharp if I already messed my 2 spares. Assembly on atv is approx. 1 min.
IMG_1094_zpsicrsfocg.jpg

IMG_1093_zps6oimxa6x.jpg

Very nice set up. When the snow gets too deep here this winter, I should seriously consider a box build project to try to match your good ideas.
Thanks for sharing!

IMG_1088_zpspdbmxmpq.jpg

Other side..
IMG_1089_zpsd01qfpjc.jpg

IMG_1090_zpsxurdbybo.jpg

IMG_1094_zpsicrsfocg.jpg

IMG_1093_zps6oimxa6x.jpg

Nice , you have the best saw in the world [emoji56]

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

I was wondering what size saw that is? my son has an old home owner Jonsered 2040 that has always had issues. He is pretty sick of it and he only has a few hours on some weekends to cut firewood and need his saw to run. I have heard there are a few Stihls Huskys and Jonsereds to stay away from some fraught with issues. On the other hand I have heard the same goes for some really nice models in each brand.

The issues were mostly on the first-produced 562's, no power when cutting and so on.. They fixed that on serial numbers 10 000 and up (not sure for the serial) i think they change the carb. But a most-knowledgable user here will correct my mistakes I hope!

Had some problems when cutting in hot temp, had it reprogrammed at the dealer and never had anything since.

The one on the pic is a 550, fitted with a 16-inch, .325 RS chain. I tried the same setup with a 18-inch and it was still running nicely. Not the biggest one but can work hard! Should consider it in a 2-saw plan if you want to timber seriously.

Yes I agree 2 saws at the very least,.. he will all the spares he needs I have a few. I just looked up the husky 262 $700 plus yea he probably cannot afford that, has wife and 2 little ones now and one more before Thanksgiving. I bet it is a nice saw though.

Budget wise the Dolmar 6100 is probably at the top of the list. The echo 590 is cheaper but the Dolmar is built very well with great air filtration probably the best of the bunch. Stihl and husky are going to be the more expensive of the group.

Here's a couple snaps of my ATV setup, if this works.

Just lay the front stuff out on the ground & build a little box out of whatever you have laying around just big enough to hold it all. Then strap it all down. I should have made a plywood bottom, but couldn't find a piece when I made this - now I have chain oil bleeds all over the front of the ATV.

Back box has a passenger seat but it only carries my helmet, on occasion. I'm usually going solo. Tow straps & tie downs on other side. There's space at the bottom rear of it to tuck in something else, under the straps. Usually if anything that's a short round mouth shovel, could put a peavy there instead.

Loaded up for the ride out:

Long lengths of smaller stuff with the sideboards off. I cut to length when I get out right on the trailer, using the trailer as a sawbuck. Takes 5 minutes to cut up 1/3-1/4 cord, big work saver.

I use my quad like this 3 or 4 days every week. Load up with supplies and head into the woods to make carvings. I also haul a lot of firewood out of the woods too.

199E8C32-D3E9-4B2E-9959-36A3ECB6CEAA.jpg

Latest posts

Back