Quality of Hoffman 292 calk vs Wesco timber?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVelasJr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I may pull the plug & buy a pair of calk boots.
Do you think the Hoffman's are good quality since the price is about 2/3 the cost of Wesco?

Have a pair of Hoffman's Vibram soled boots, can't remember the style smoke chaser or sumthin. Mostlywear em in the machine shop, but use em when I'm mostly running equipment or if I need to climb a tree, since my Calks have a bunch of extra nails where the spurs ride. Or if I know I won't be walking logs all day...

Had Hoffman resole my old Vibergs calks 3-4 years ago, them boots are now retired but the soles are still in good shape, rest of the boots are probably 30 years old, and never fit right anyway (I got em in through some horse trading)

Very good boot, heavier then a wesco, but damned good quality.

Wescos are pretty good too...

If I had to do it again, I will probably get another pair if custom fitted boots though, I like the hoffman stuff, but I got different sized and one smashed foot... so the Nick's calks i got are pretty damned nice, Once they get on and laced up its almost like they aren't even there... Sometimes I drive home with em on, just cause...

Only problem with the plan of getting custom vibram soled boots is that the Hoffmans need to wear out first, or get close enough to justify ordering... but I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon and dropping $600 on another pair of boots might get me sleeping in the crummy.

Have a pair of Hoffman's Vibram soled boots, can't remember the style smoke chaser or sumthin. Mostlywear em in the machine shop, but use em when I'm mostly running equipment or if I need to climb a tree, since my Calks have a bunch of extra nails where the spurs ride. Or if I know I won't be walking logs all day...

Had Hoffman resole my old Vibergs calks 3-4 years ago, them boots are now retired but the soles are still in good shape, rest of the boots are probably 30 years old, and never fit right anyway (I got em in through some horse trading)

Very good boot, heavier then a wesco, but damned good quality.

Wescos are pretty good too...

If I had to do it again, I will probably get another pair if custom fitted boots though, I like the hoffman stuff, but I got different sized and one smashed foot... so the Nick's calks i got are pretty damned nice, Once they get on and laced up its almost like they aren't even there... Sometimes I drive home with em on, just cause...

Only problem with the plan of getting custom vibram soled boots is that the Hoffmans need to wear out first, or get close enough to justify ordering... but I'm not sure that's going to happen anytime soon and dropping $600 on another pair of boots might get me sleeping in the crummy.

nest question, I was reading some older post by slowp & discovered that they come in sizes. Are they a standard thread? or proprietery to each maker? or is it thre length of the spike that is numbered?

nest question, I was reading some older post by slowp & discovered that they come in sizes. Are they a standard thread? or proprietery to each maker? or is it thre length of the spike that is numbered?

Pretty much every one uses Champ Loggers, since all they are doing is using golf shoe sockets and modifying them to fit on a heavy boot.

Except Wesco... they are special... Though I'm pretty sure its a 1/4-28 thread on the Wescos but the head is different, so I've been less then stoked about trying them on a Champ style sole.

The Spikes themselves come in a couple different sizes, but I'll be damned if you can find more then 2 anywhere retail wise, standard and redwood are about all anyone carries.

On a related note, I was talking to the folks at Oliver and Hammer they always order their calks from Champ, and sometimes they say Hoffman, Viberg, Nicks, or Champ, which tells me someone hasn't been checking the bins at the factory

On a different related note...

The Phillips "tool steel" versions are ****ing junk, unless you take the time to harden them, in which case you might as well just get Champs.

Tool steel isn't necessarily hard, or abrasion resistant, it can be hard, it can be abrasion resistant, but you have to heat treat it first... Tool steel is meant to be easily worked, and then easily hardened, though depending on the type and grade it could just get tough all the way to hard and brittle.

Tool steel was meant for making dies and what not, not traction devices for dumb loggers...

Now if I guy where to get some plow steel sae 1080 through 1095, and harden it... then you would have some tough ass calks, which I had thought hard and long on doing, but champ stepped up their quality again so now we can get factory calks at a decent price.

Or you could get the ceremet (ceramic/carbide) calks and basically have dull nails that never wear out. and cost 3 times as much.

Nicks took some time to get by the way... like 6-7 months... Though I hear they moved in that time and are speeding things up.

Wesco's take time too, not as much, but still several weeks.

Hoffman since they don't do custom boots, will ship next day or within the week. The resole took like 3 weeks maybe a little less.

OP...if you have a choice of which length spike to get, regular or long, get the regular.
The long spikes, redwood spikes they're sometimes called, are useful only if you're walking logs with super thick and stringy bark like cedar or...duh...redwood.
The long spikes tend to collect debris, the debris builds up, and you'll spend a lot of time cleaning the junk off of them.
The regular spikes will last quite a while if you don't walk on pavement or gravel. Wear the new boots for a day and then check the spikes for tightness. Check them every week after that.
Also, I've found that theres about a two week period when the spikes are exactly the right length. Before that, they're too long and snag on everything. After that, they're starting to get too short and you lose traction. Or maybe I'm just too picky.;)

And, for what it's worth, I've had good luck with Wesco.

Also, I've found that theres about a two week period when the spikes are exactly the right length. Before that, they're too long and snag on everything. After that, they're starting to get too short and you lose traction. Or maybe I'm just too picky.;).

Nope, not too picky, you are exactly right.

Hoffman's are a good boot. I've been wearing their winter corks for 5 years now and I bought a pair of their leather corks last spring. I did not wear them out in one season like I had worn out a pair of whites and all of my red dawgs. I don't remember the model. I think hey were the most expensive ones they make. I'm building up to wescos eventually. Prior to my Logging days i had never spend more then 100 bucks on a pair of boots so 4-5-600 dollars stings a little. But you do get what you pay for.

Hoffman's are a good boot. I've been wearing their winter corks for 5 years now and I bought a pair of their leather corks last spring. I did not wear them out in one season like I had worn out a pair of whites and all of my red dawgs. I don't remember the model. I think hey were the most expensive ones they make. I'm building up to wescos eventually. Prior to my Logging days i had never spend more then 100 bucks on a pair of boots so 4-5-600 dollars stings a little. But you do get what you pay for.

Do it! its totally worth it

Or you could get the ceremet (ceramic/carbide) calks and basically have dull nails that never wear out. and cost 3 times as much.

Where I live we never heard of calk boots. The Amish wear a flat sole Red Wing #953 & laugh that I wear (for now) a Red Wing #2218. The Cer-Mec sounds like a decent compromise. I printed the photo of a pair and they laughed me out of the woods today.

Flat sole shoes in the woods are bad for your back as well as traction. Once you cut in Cork boots I promise you will never want to cut in regular sole boots again. On any day when conditions are less then ideal you will walk with confidence.

Flat sole shoes in the woods are bad for your back as well as traction. Once you cut in Cork boots I promise you will never want to cut in regular sole boots again. On any day when conditions are less then ideal you will walk with confidence.

This group has a rule about having a 1/4" heel. I guess that's why they chose that model.

I have two pair of Hoffman Pacs, calk and regular. Had them for about 4 years. Good quality, I keep my stuff oiled well too. I need a pair of new summer boots and am going to try a pair of Hoffmans for that as well. I currently have a pair of Nicks and am not afraid to go to Hoffmans if that tells you something.

Latest posts

Back