Question about gas caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GGraziano

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Forgive me if this isn't the appropriate area to post this--I took a shot. I bought an Ariens Deluxe 28 snow thrower 3 years ago. About a year later, while under warranty, it began running poorly. It would start fine, but after a few minutes under load begin acting like it was starving for fuel. I could get it to even out some by partially choking it. I contacted Ariens, and they suggested that they send me a new fuel cap. I was skeptical, but it proved to cure the problem. Now, 2 years later, the problem has recurred. Ariens won't help, as the engine is now out of warranty. I understand you can buy replacement caps in many places for not a lot of money. Does anyone know of a particular type or brand of cap that does not fail every 2 years? I don't understand why this otherwise great machine has this annoying little problem.

Do you use gas with ethanol and let it sit for a while with gas in it in between uses? May be part of the reason that the vent is failing so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ethanol creates havoc within small engines, as it evaporates if tends to leave a gummy residue behind, attacks fuel lines, blocks up small passages in carbs or vents ect. Dang stuff wasn't worth squat in the 30's - ain't nothing changed. Fuel laced with ethanol more than a month old cause lots of problems. Even if you run all the fuel out at the end of the season it still causes problems.

Back