ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Question about pole pruner attachment on Stihl FS-250 trimmer

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by cwatkin, Dec 7, 2011.

1. cwatkin

cwatkin ArboristSite Lurker

I have a Stihl FS-250 trimmer which has more than enough power to run the pole pruner attachment that Stihl sells. I was wondering if one could put a longer bar/chain on this unit or if I might overstress the gearbox inside the pruner head. The little bar that comes with this unit is great for most jobs but there are times where I could run a longer bar and I know this unit has more than enough power to run a longer bar. I personally own a 14 inch bar that would fit this and know they make a 16 incher. This unit has a solid shaft so I don't think that is a problem but is it a bad idea to run a longer bar?

Thanks,

Conor

2. lcso10

lcso10 AboristSite Guru

The HT-250 comes with the 14" bar and chain on it. I now you will have plenty of power for the 16 and I would not think it would cause to much stress on the gear head. I would stay with the .043 gauge bar and chain and not go up to the .050 gauge.

3. alderman

alderman Addicted to ArboristSite

I can't help you with your question, but be careful out there. A 16" branch could pack a punch on the way down:msp_thumbup:

4. cwatkin

That is true but much smaller limbs also pack a punch. When cutting limbs right at 12 inches, I try to cut them into small firewood sized segments if I have the reach to do so. This way, I am not dropping a huge limb all at once, plus I have the wood pre-cut when it hits the ground.

I will probably stick to the 12 inch that came on this unit and maybe use the 14 inch if I need it. I had an experience the other day where I could barely make it through with the 12 inch bar. The motor had PLENTY of power to spare but the bar wasn't quite long enough.

Conor

5. cwatkin

Thanks. Mine has a 12 inch/.043 gauge bar/chain on it. I am not sure of the gauge of my 14 inch bar/chain but it is from a saw and likely .050. If I decide to go bigger a lot of the time, I will get a bar designed for the HT-250 and not re-use a saw bar.

Thanks,

Conor

6. sawfun9

sawfun9 Addicted to ArboristSite

The Stihl catalog doesn't list a saw attachment for the fs250. The fs250 (2.15hp vs 2.0 for the ms180) does have enough power to pull a 16" bar, however the shaft may not handle the load. I have cut a couple of 2" and a 3" saplings with my fs250r using a three sided brush blade.

7. cwatkin

Interesting... My Stihl dealer sold me the attachment right after I bought the trimmer. This may be my answer to if the gearbox could be overstressed by the power of this engine. I am thinking the shaft is fine, but that the extra power may be an issue for the gear head. This is a solid shaft and such. Would you think they don't advertise this combination due to the shaft or the gearbox being a limitation?

My FS-250R has more than enough power to cut through anything I throw at it.

Thanks,

Conor

8. cwatkin

I just looked at Gearbox Attachments - Interchangeable Gearbox Attachment Accessories | STIHL and the pruner head isn't listed for the FS-250 series. It fits just fine but there must be some limitation. I think I will stick with the standard bar unless I find out this can handle more power.

Conor

9. RAMROD48

RAMROD48 Addicted to ArboristSite

The FS-250 unit produces two much speed and torque for the HT gearbox.

10. sawfun9

sawfun9 Addicted to ArboristSite

The fs250 has a lot more power (approaching the ms 210-211 powerwise) than the km130 so I'd be hesitant to try something not recommended. You might contact Stihl and ask why it's not acceptable.

11. lcso10

lcso10 AboristSite Guru

I am just asking, does the HT-250 which has the same power head and gear box as talked about in this post, loose speed and torque because of haveing a flexable cable instead of the solid drive shaft?

12. RAMROD48

RAMROD48 Addicted to ArboristSite

What is an HT-250? I am a Stihl Dealer and have never heard of this model? The biggest units, that I KNOW of at the HT-101 and HT131. (Is this a new model I didnt hear about?

The FS 250 has a solid drive shaft.

The HT 101/131 have a partial hollow aluminum drive shaft. I doubt they would change the shafts and even if they did it would still need to be hollow alluminum in part so it can extend.

EDIT: So i looked into into and it appears that they stopped making them sometime between 2000-2002? I started here in late 02 so thats why I have never heard of one. I have never seen one. I am guessing they still had 2 much power for the gearbox and that coupled with the weight and price didnt sell many of them.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  13. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

I have never seen an stihl HT-250 pole pruner but I like the sound of it. I have an fs130, an fs-250 and an ht-131. The fs-250 is far more powerful than the 4-mixer. If you value your kombi attachments, I would not run them on an fs-250. If you need a pole saw with extra reach, get a good quality manual saw with locking fiberglass poles. You will need one anyway to free the power model when it gets stuck in a cut.

14. lcso10

lcso10 AboristSite Guru

The HT-250 is a 4134 seris motor on a fixed shaft like the HT-100. It has a fat flex cable inside the drive tube. It comes stock with a 14" .043 gauge bar and chain. They are in my market and I juet recieved 5 of them for restock. Loggers like them for trimming trucks instead of using chainsaws overhead.

I have been a Stihl dealer since 1982. They must not be avalible in your market. Down here they are still alive and well.