Question about Stihl 045/056 points flywheel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tntatro

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question about the 045/056 flywheels. I just got a flywheel in a box of parts with a part number 0204 003 028. Is this is a flywheel for a points ignition? Unfortunately it's in pretty rough condition. Two of the metal pieces inside have fallen off but are still there sticking to the magnet. I'm considering gluing them back on and converting to a points ignition since I'm having a hard time with the ignition on my 045 super.

Also, I compared it to the Bosch electronic ignition flywheel and it looks almost identical except it only has three holes and they are for a smaller screw. Anyone know if it is a flywheel for the points ignition?

Is this a crankshaft with the lobe? I don't think the one I'm working on has the lobe but I have two crankshafts like this. This one is new old stock and the other is in really good condition. Here is the flywheel. You can see that two of the metal pieces have fallen off and are just sticking to the magnet lower than where they should be.

20160730_203238.jpg IMG_0513[1].JPG IMG_0514[1].JPG IMG_0515[1].JPG

I just checked and two of my crankshafts are lobed. I haven't checked my saws yet. Are the pole shoes the same as each other or is it possible for them to get switched or be upside down?

Okay, thanks. I have enough parts for one more build so I'll try gluing the pole shoes back where they should be. I already ordered a points ignition so when parts come in I'll see if I can get a successful build with it.

Is there a difference in the way a saw runs or performs between the points and electronic ignitions? I know some prefer them over the Bosch and SEM but I'm guessing it's more due to reliability. Between all the saws I'm building I'm only going to keep one, maybe two, so it seems as though it may be best to keep one with the points ignition if it goes good.

Did you read Foggy Sails thread here on AS concerning repairing the electronic ignition? In addition, you might be able to use a points eliminator like an atom module to get away from the wear of the points ignition. Rich at Myrtle Creek Saw should have all the parts that you will need for the old Stihl.
http://myrtlecreeksawshop.com/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221538343988?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
I have done the foggysail fix but it didn't work on this ignition. Then I tried a Nova II module and it will start and run but it isn't right. I got it to start and run good but then would die after it got warmed up. I messed with the timing a lot and it just never was quite right. I've been trying to get it to work right for a while now and I'm finally giving up on that ignition. I also tried a different coil that also wouldn't work with the foggysail fix and it was the same. Maybe I should try a different type of module.

I may also try the aftermarket ignition from Germany that fits the Bosch electronic flywheel. If I get the points working then I will need at least one more working ignition to get all my 056 saws running.

I have read somewhere that the Bosch electronic flywheel and points flywheel are almost identical in appearance but the poles are reversed. I am curious if one took a points coil, put it on the Bosch electronic stator plate and used a nova module or similar + electronic flywheel and then reversed the positive and negative terminals if that would work. I'd like to try it but it would cost an extra $50 for the coil. Any thoughts or theories on whether that could work or not? Seems like a bit of a waste of time and money if it doesn't work but if it did then I could replace my coils for $50 each instead of buying aftermarket for $100 each.

The 045 super I've been working on does have the lobed crankshaft. I glued the pole shoes onto the flywheel and put the ignition in and it starts, idles and runs nicely. The spark is pretty strong. It was a new ignition.

Thanks for the help. Now I have to test the saw and see if everything is working good.

Latest posts

Back