?Question for BobL?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDB777

I find unique timber and cut it up
Reaction score
Bob....

Wondering if you have improvised any sort of milling attachment to powerhead attachment to reinforce the strength of the bar?

Powerhead weight hanging from the side of the milling attachment has to put a lot of stress on the two bar studs....at least I would think it would. Especially when the powerhead isn't being 'touched'(to be read as using a 'remote throttle set-up').

Any photo's of a supporting set-up would be great!!!!

Scott (big head equals big weight) B

No stress at all = the power head is not hanging from the mill but rather sitting on top of a cross piece between two uprights either side of the power head..

Here's the 760 BIL mill support.
The BIL mill is a 3 poster (2 uprights inboard and 1 outboard)
The two inboard posts are welded to a curved T-shaped cross piece made out of 3/8" thick ally plate.
The bar bolts were lengthened and pass though "S" either side of the upright part of the "T"
In the picture you can see two bar bolts but one is the reflection of the innermost bar bolt.
The reflection is approximately where the outer most bar bolt is on the other side of "S"
BILmillsupport.jpg

The 880 has a longer "snout" (distance between sprocket and front of saw) so a 1/2" plate ally extension had to be added to the support
Mount.jpg

In my experimental mill (thats a 4 poster) I just used a piece of 3/16" thick angle steel angle and a section of SHS as the cross piece mount.
880.jpg

In all cases the saw is much closer to the log that a conventional alaskan, whether it uses bar clamps or direct bolt to a hole in the bar, so balance is improved and theres is less stress on the power hear

Latest posts

Back