Questions,and more Questions????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Based on how they do the job,reliability,ease of use,which one is most practical.

• Johnny 2165

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Johnny 2171

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Husky 357

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Husky 372

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Dolmar 7900

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

buster

Reaction score
:monkey: I am new to the site, and I have some questions. I am a firewood cutter, I cut alot of firewood. I currently use a 2065 Jonny 18in B&c, I does a decent job, but Im on the market for a new saw. Price doesnt make much difference, I want the right tool for the job. I have had different suggestions from Logger friends, primarily go with Husky or Jonny Red. I looking at 357xp,372xp,or maybe a 2165, I would like a 20 b&c but dont have to have it, the prices are all pretty close together, dealer support is about the same. Choices,Choices,any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

:monkey: I am new to the site, and I have some questions. I am a firewood cutter, I cut alot of firewood. I currently use a 2065 Jonny 18in B&c, I does a decent job, but Im on the market for a new saw. Price doesnt make much difference, I want the right tool for the job. I have had different suggestions from Logger friends, primarily go with Husky or Jonny Red. I looking at 357xp,372xp,or maybe a 2165, I would like a 20 b&c but dont have to have it, the prices are all pretty close together, dealer support is about the same. Choices,Choices,any advice or input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Welcome to the site!

Now buy an MS-361 and be happy.

:cheers:

welcome to the site

If you like the 2065 at all you will really like the 2171. Its about the same weight and more power or you can really go wild and get the dolmar 7900, It makes wood cutting "fun":cheers:

I agree!

If you like the 2065 at all you will really like the 2171. Its about the same weight and more power or you can really go wild and get the dolmar 7900, It makes wood cutting "fun" :cheers:

If price is no object and it is close in weight to what you are now using. I used mine this weekend and enjoyed the power. I do not cut firewood as much as you must do though.:)

Last edited:
Jred is just a name around here. I have never seen one on the job only Stihl or Husqvarna. Have you found a dealer within 100 miles of where you live? Something to think about.

For hardwood with a 20" bar, and if you're OK with something heavier than a 361/357xp, you can't go wrong with the ol' 7900. But if you're just wanting the 20" bar for reach rather than because your wood requires it, then I'd skip the weight and go with one of the 12lb saws - 361, 357xp, 2156, etc.

If you have a back-up saw, the fact that you may not have a local dealer may not matter quite as much. Dolmars are at least as inherently reliable as Stihl or Husqvarna, and they're easy to work on. And with a couple first-rate guys on this site who also happen to be Dolmar dealers, I am sure that you could get parts overnighted if the need ever arose.

I appreciate all the input. Do you guys think the 372,7900, are to bulky to be cutting fire wood with? Other than power does one saw have any one thing that really sets it apart from the other 372/7900? Once again thanks for the recomendations.

I appreciate all the input. Do you guys think the 372,7900, are to bulky to be cutting fire wood with? Other than power does one saw have any one thing that really sets it apart from the other 372/7900? Once again thanks for the recomendations.

Either of those saws would be a good choice for a 20"+ b&c. I would go no less than a 25".....

If all you will be doing is firewood, the lighter 357 should do you well. I'm sure it can pull a 20" bar just as good as a 361 does. You just have to decide if you will need the extra power from a bigger saw.

The 7900 will smoke a 372/2171 but not too many dealers around for support.

The 7900 has "saws" appeal:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I actually run a 385xp and a dolmar 5100s for firewood. I will grab the 385 more because most of my cuts are in the area of 18" . With a 20 " bar on it just goes right through. For the real big old burr oak I can slap on a 32 and really get teh job done.
Bob

No question

The 7900 is the lightest saw for hp. VERY reliable, so far... If I could pick ONLY 1 saw to run all the time, I'd take it over everything else I've run for all around saw...:clap: :cheers:

Back