Quite the scrounge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
A so called tree guy sees my wood piles (125+ cords) from the road and decides to ask if I am interested in some free oak firewood. Well yeah I am- duh! Says he has cut 40 trees down and it's all cut to fireplace length- which I hardly ever believe when a tree guy tells me that. On Wednesday I go check it out and end up talking to the homeowner. Turns out the guy started the job over a month ago and they haven't heard from him in 3 weeks. I could tell the tree guy was a flake when he told me all the wood was cut earlier this week and the cracking on the ends of the logs occurred when they hit the ground. Guy says wood has to be removed ASAP because he's gotta get the job done and the home owner is up his ass... Well who wouldn't be. Anyway, most of what he called fireplace length is 3' long or better. Even though this guy is the drunk/crackhead tree guy that gives the business a bad name, there is a ton of free wood. I have pics but the site isn't allowing me to upload them at the moment. I got 8 cords out in about 4.5 hours with the help of the home owner and his two teenage sons- which I gave each $45 and made their day. I'm hoping I can load them soon because you will all have a field day with his stumps- all big time slopers. I go back tomorrow for what's left- probably another 6-8 cords and can't wait to see him drop the last 5 trees. 12-14 cords of oak in about 9-10 hours ain't too bad.

I was able to get the truck within 20-30' of it all. We had 4 people loading the first round and 3 people loading rounds 2-4. This was only 8 miles from my moms farm where I process the wood. Went to upload pictures again last night and it's still telling me there is too much data which is weird because I've loaded them from my phone before.

A so called tree guy sees my wood piles (125+ cords) from the road and decides to ask if I am interested in some free oak firewood. Well yeah I am- duh! Says he has cut 40 trees down and it's all cut to fireplace length- which I hardly ever believe when a tree guy tells me that. On Wednesday I go check it out and end up talking to the homeowner. Turns out the guy started the job over a month ago and they haven't heard from him in 3 weeks. I could tell the tree guy was a flake when he told me all the wood was cut earlier this week and the cracking on the ends of the logs occurred when they hit the ground. Guy says wood has to be removed ASAP because he's gotta get the job done and the home owner is up his ass... Well who wouldn't be. Anyway, most of what he called fireplace length is 3' long or better. Even though this guy is the drunk/crackhead tree guy that gives the business a bad name, there is a ton of free wood. I have pics but the site isn't allowing me to upload them at the moment. I got 8 cords out in about 4.5 hours with the help of the home owner and his two teenage sons- which I gave each $45 and made their day. I'm hoping I can load them soon because you will all have a field day with his stumps- all big time slopers. I go back tomorrow for what's left- probably another 6-8 cords and can't wait to see him drop the last 5 trees. 12-14 cords of oak in about 9-10 hours ain't too bad.

...and I thought the split red oak and hickory for $25 a 5x10 trailer load stacked as high as I could get it was a scrounge. Talk about hittin the motherlode. Lol

Update on the crackhead tree guy....swears to me and the homeowner he will be at the job 8:30 Sunday morning and gives a long song about not having a drivers license and getting a chipper and extra help. I get there about 8:15 and start cutting up a few logs that were still whole. I worked until about 10am and left after 1 load with him still a no show. The home owners mom got pulled off her ventilator yesterday so I'm sure he is way too consumed with that to be dealing with this jerk. I'm going to give the homeowner some space this week but am hoping to hear from him next weekend as there is still probably 4-5 cords there to be had.

...and I thought the split red oak and hickory for $25 a 5x10 trailer load stacked as high as I could get it was a scrounge. Talk about hittin the motherlode. Lol
It's already split?? Yeah you made out great and should be really happy.

It's already split?? Yeah you made out great and should be really happy.

Had time yesterday to get another load, this time making sure I brought 6-8 ratchet tie-downs...was able to stack the sides lengthwise down the trailer as high as the center to get several more splits. Glad I had the guy who built the trailer for me years ago put a 3500lb axle on the it, lol. I posted a pic over in the 'Scrounging Firewood' thread of the first load. I'll get back over there sometime this week after work and get the rest...probably enough left for two more loads.

It's nice to see someone get a deal every now and then. You must have earned it.... Like my mom use to say... "He Has His Reasons..."

Just curious...how much was this "logger" paid to drop and buck these trees?

Back