Rate my wood pile!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I have never cared for is stacking wood in cubes with no air space. The best is when they tarp the sides and top than wonder why it is wet yet. To each their own just an observation. One customer is an older lady who still heats and cooks in her kitchen with am old kalamazoo cook stove. Anal isn't a stong enough word for her. You cannot mix wood period, must all be the same color. I make it easier on me and just use red oak, or white. Heaven to bets you mix red and white!

One thing I have never cared for is stacking wood in cubes with no air space. The best is when they tarp the sides and top than wonder why it is wet yet. To each their own just an observation. One customer is an older lady who still heats and cooks in her kitchen with am old kalamazoo cook stove. Anal isn't a stong enough word for her. You cannot mix wood period, must all be the same color. I make it easier on me and just use red oak, or white. Heaven to bets you mix red and white!
The tarps are just thrown on for rain days. During the dry days i let the sun and wind do their job. The cube stacking wasnt the best idea by a long shot but next season they will be spaced apart.

The tarps are just thrown on for rain days. During the dry days i let the sun and wind do their job. The cube stacking wasnt the best idea by a long shot but next season they will be spaced apart.
Everybody has their own method, that's why we are americans. What I have done, which my grandfather always did was stack single rows with at least a foot in between for air flow and put tin on top with rocks to hold it on. Scrap pieces, used tin from old buildings and what not. This was his theory, summer sun on the tin heats it up and in turn creates a "turmoil" of air between the rows. Which aids in seasoning the wood. The outer rows had sunlight. One time a few years ago a neighbor was I'll and his grandson came and cut firewood for him in october. It was all green, so what we did was load a 20' piece of 7ft drain pipe he had lying around with wood stacked in single rows with a foot of space above and a few inches between. Than he had a 1000gallon propane tank about 75 percent full at least 10 years old that was used for drying corn when he farmed. So I took the drier from the bin and made a mount for it from scrap tin and angle on the one end and took two partial sheets of plywood to cover the end up mostly. Basically we made a kiln, worked pretty slick for the most part. Loaded it up about five times and he had his firewood for the season...

Everybody has their own method, that's why we are americans. What I have done, which my grandfather always did was stack single rows with at least a foot in between for air flow and put tin on top with rocks to hold it on. Scrap pieces, used tin from old buildings and what not. This was his theory, summer sun on the tin heats it up and in turn creates a "turmoil" of air between the rows. Which aids in seasoning the wood. The outer rows had sunlight. One time a few years ago a neighbor was I'll and his grandson came and cut firewood for him in october. It was all green, so what we did was load a 20' piece of 7ft drain pipe he had lying around with wood stacked in single rows with a foot of space above and a few inches between. Than he had a 1000gallon propane tank about 75 percent full at least 10 years old that was used for drying corn when he farmed. So I took the drier from the bin and made a mount for it from scrap tin and angle on the one end and took two partial sheets of plywood to cover the end up mostly. Basically we made a kiln, worked pretty slick for the most part. Loaded it up about five times and he had his firewood for the season...
Id love to make a kiln like that. Wish i had the time too. Full time pipeline job then weekend firewood cuttin dont leave much time left.

Latest posts

Back