Rebuild of an old boiler... Pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstueve

Makita Freak!
Reaction score
Ok so I am always on the look out for cheap ways to upgrade my shop... I found an small (30gal) old IWB last summer and installed it inside my shop. Since then I decided that I want something bigger than will heat on 1 charge/day or less and would be outside the shop so I can keep the smoke out and the floor space open.

Shop is 24'x36' = 864 sqft with R5(ish) insulation.

Found a 230 gal Dahl boiler locally for $150. Panels have been taken off and it was already unhooked. No pump and only the front and rear tin panels. I was skeptical at first since it handn't been run in 8+ years. However, we filled it with a garden hose to the top with no leaks anywhere outside or inside!

So there is still quite a bit of sediment and corrosion inside the boiler from sitting. I plan on putting a sediment trap on before the pump but am wondering if I need to flush the entire system with a chemical of some sort to help remove some of it???

This is a cheap project so if it holds up for 2-3 winters I'll be happy.

two problems.. if you leave the sediment in,,in my start to move on fire up,,and start plugging the sediment trap real fast. if it doesn't move,,it may cake hard to the bottom,,and make it harder to heat,,as the fire to water transfer may not be the best. last but not least,,if you do remove it,,under pressure you may find leaks!!! pressure system, or no??

Is there any corosion on inside of door frame of boiler?
No. Just some stuff inside the water jacket. Inside the burn box and the door look great. Looks like wet wood burned a nice layer of creosote on the inside.

I was thinking the same thing as above mentioned. Flush with water really well and put some sediment traps on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like wet wood burned a nice layer of creosote on the inside.

Sounds like a recipe for corrosion. Be careful about what might show up under the creosote.

Looks like wet wood burned a nice layer of creosote on the inside.

Sounds like a recipe for corrosion. Be careful about what might show up under the creosote.
Scraped it down really well... Clean metal inside. Just the corrosion in the water jacket that I'm concerned about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back