Rebuild Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktoom

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, im finally getting around to rebuilding a, practically new, 372XP lol. Im replacing the piston and crankshaft cuz they were bad. I got a used crank and case off of ebay for a Jonsered 2171 cuz they are practically the same saw.
Im not sure if the crank is really good cuz there is no up and down movement in the connecting rod, but u can twist it side to side a lil bit. Is that okay u think or should i just look for another crank? Thanks guys

Go for it.
They all have a little twist.
I just check three saws all the same way
Of corse I don't know how much twist you are talking about.

Yup

A little twist is OK. I did a 371 last winter and I notice the very slight wiggle to the Rod but absolutely no verticle movement. Was advised it was good to go, put 'er back together, she's a runner. No problems, go for it........

I think once it's back together the rod it located centered over the bearing with it's connection to the wrist pin and piston in the bore. Thus it won't be able to move like that. Don't know for sure, just a deduction on my part.

I HATE the way the rod bearing feels on a chainsaw. They just feel sloppy. but, If there's no vertical movement, and no obvious damage, go for it. I've never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back