Rec climbers in Western MA?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeChickee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a student at Stockbridge (at UMass Amherst), and I was just wondering if anyone else climbs in this area or knows of any good spots to climb nearby? I've been climbing a lot on campus, there are a few good trees, but I'm thinking I might want to try some places off-campus (preferably close by), figured I'd ask if anyone knew some good spots.

Thanks!

Nobody? I get out there to climb once in a while but not enough to be much use to you. Be careful about the hunting season if you get out into the woods in your area to climb, wear bright colors.
-moss

Thanks anyway!
I went out a few weeks ago with a couple of other people, only about 5 minutes from campus, we didn't even think of hunting season until we were getting ready to pack all of our gear up. We weren't really sure if anyone could even hunt where we were, but either way, we're definitely going to remember next time!

Thanks anyway!
I went out a few weeks ago with a couple of other people, only about 5 minutes from campus, we didn't even think of hunting season until we were getting ready to pack all of our gear up. We weren't really sure if anyone could even hunt where we were, but either way, we're definitely going to remember next time!

No pics?:(

Unfortunatley, no. :(
And it would've been the perfect spot for pictures too, we got to the top of a 90' hemlock, and it was just mountains and fall color all around. I realized that my camera was in my dorm room (where I usually forget it... haha) once I got to the top. Figures.
But... I'm going climbing tomorrow, and I'm hoping that since one person has a car that he might want to drive back there and climb that tree again- it was a blast!- and I will *hopefully* remember the camera this time!

I am in the middle of the Catskills and there are many trees around my house particularly a giant white pine. If you are willing to make the trip I will avail myself for a rec climb. Others are invited alone if something comes to a plan.

Thanks!
I'm not sure how well something like that would work out though, with classes and what not, but it sounds like it could be fun! Thanks for the offer!

I climb on the UMASS campus all the time, taught many climbers there. Down by Yellow Lot in front of South west dorms has some great climbs. If you go into sunderland and hike the trails off clark mtn rd. there are some great climbs in there.
I currently live in Northampton let me know if you need any help. don't get out rec climbing to much anymore, to busy climbing trees around power lines :cry:

we got to the top of a 90' hemlock, a

Just wondering how did you tie in to a hemlock that high up. We have a lot of hemlock here I want to dead wood prune. The branches high up don't look like much to hang on. Did you use the branches or some kind of trunk wrap?

I currently live in Northampton let me know if you need any help. don't get out rec climbing to much anymore, to busy climbing trees around power lines :cry:

My sister is moving from Northampton just today. She put us onto a hike last time I was there. I don't remember the name of the place but it was some families estate which they left to become a nature preserve. The trees were old growth, numerous selection and really beautiful.

Adkpk,
One of the guys I was with climbed in and set up the ropes, just put them around the trunk and over some branches, we climbed up to that point then he moved up again and set the ropes the same way at the top. Worked out pretty well. Friction savers would have been even nicer though, coming down was kind of a pain in the butt... Haha.

treemanb,
I've only climbed in SW a few times, and it was only for climbing class. I live on the other end of campus, so I mostly stay out behind Sylvan, and once in a while I'll go out to Durfee. Never really thought to head down to SW. I'll have to try that sometime.
And thanks!

I am in the middle of the Catskills and there are many trees around my house particularly a giant white pine. If you are willing to make the trip I will avail myself for a rec climb. Others are invited alone if something comes to a plan.

I was in Neversink for Thanksgiving. Maybe next year we could get a Catskills rec climb going.

I'm in for some rec climbing. Live up in S. Deerfield and actually work for a tree co down in Northampton. There are some mighty tall Red Oaks up on the east side of North Sugarloaf in Deerfield that caught my eye last time I hiked up there. Although I've heard of people climbing on campus quite a bit as well there at Umass, kinda curious how that all works out. Would be nice to climb a tree and be able to just hang out, instead of having to worry about where the next piece of deadwood is, or having to lug around a damn polesaw or chainsaw. :chainsaw:

And tying into Hemlock is no problem, just go around the trunk with your rope and loop it over a decent branch and you're all set.

I've climbed that Hemlock on Sunset Ave in Amherst. Its 3-4 houses down towards campus on the left if you are coming from Amity St. I was hoping for a better view at the top, but wasnt all that great. No deadwood either, so was a pretty worthless climb, easy though! Its on the right side of a 2 story house there, on the left of the house is a big old Fraser Fir. Both trees have to be nearing 100+. Unfortunately the Hemlock is being removed this winter. Homeowner got spooked after the microbursts this summer. :(

Last edited:
I'd love to go climb near Sugarloaf, but I unfortunately don't have my truck with me at school, so I'm basically stuck climbing on campus or taking a bus somewhere close by. There are actually some pretty decent trees around campus though, I've been looking around and found some new ones to climb.
And I can't picture the hemlock you mentioned, probably due to the fact that I am horrible with street names. It's a miracle I remember which one I live on! Haha :laugh:

Got anyone interested in going this weekend? Saturday looks like it'll be cool, but clear and some sun. I think I could manage the entire 10 minute drive down to Umass. :)

That'd be great, but I don't think anyone is actually going to be here... Saturday is the last day of the semester, and everyone has to head home for winter break. Next semester starts at the end of January though, we'll all be back then. I'm hoping to go out a lot more next semester, and get a lot more people out there with me, so maybe then?
I haven't been climbing in weeks, it's been so crazy around here with finals and all, but I wish I could go! I'm getting out of shape lol.

Back