Rec. climbing in VA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OTG BOSTON

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Any rec. climbers in Virginia area who could possibly teach some non-envasive tree climbing techniques?? My pal Gummy is trying to lose his crutches and bring his game to a new level. Thanks, G

I live in VA and have never climbed. I might be interested in going out if someone would have me.

OTG BOSTON said:
Any rec. climbers in Virginia area who could possibly teach some non-envasive tree climbing techniques?? My pal Gummy is trying to lose his crutches and bring his game to a new level. Thanks, G

Tks Boston. I think...;)

I figured this thread would go somewhere over the weekend, I guess I overestimated the amount of VA guys on the board.

I think rec. climbing intimidates a lot of professional arborists. I was just remembering how much easier it was to get my friends (arborists) to show up when I was doing "climbing clinics" for school kids. The same has not held true for the rec. climbs.

Hey Gum, have you tried calling around to local tree companies yet?

138414320_c703841f82_m.jpg
yep, still here. Just in a lurking manner mostly. Try blueridgetreeclimbing.

TreeCo said:
It might be that professional climbing during the week creates an appetite for fishing on the weekends:)

Believe me I get that part of it (I fish a lot myself)

Thing is when I mention it to pros they all seem to think it is a great idea to do a rec climb, to learn different techniques etc. Then the day comes and it is basically the same hardcore guys who always show up.

I'd be interested to see if you guys could pull it off, and what the results would be.

For me it's Northern Pike season, rec. climbing will resume in the spring before the Stripers run again.;)

OTG BOSTON said:
I figured this thread would go somewhere over the weekend, I guess I overestimated the amount of VA guys on the board.

I think rec. climbing intimidates a lot of professional arborists. I was just remembering how much easier it was to get my friends (arborists) to show up when I was doing "climbing clinics" for school kids. The same has not held true for the rec. climbs.

Hey Gum, have you tried calling around to local tree companies yet?

Nah. Everything I've done climbing wise has been solo. I dont frequent any mountainsport or climbing shops so haven't really networked. I'm going to try some trunk walking soon. Saw it on Eric's webpage and it might get me going to try other methods. Got to get comfortable not being stuck in the trunk,w/lanyard and safetied.

I've just got a newly found life goal. Was trying to remove an exhaust manifold studd from my truck and broke an ez out. Now it looks like I'll be removing the head to get it EDM'd.

You'll find that the va group doesn't like to get to gether. I've tried several times over the years to no avail. The guy that does blueride climbing is not very far away from my house in the mountians, about 12 miles. I'm up there weekly I'd be interested in geting together with some guys and doing some climbing at my place.

Well maybe it will happen. I really want to try the trunk walking to get mentally comfortable. I may get to try some this week after work.

I used to climb, but frankly now anything over 20 feet scares the bejesus out of me...probably has something to do with a wife, a daughter a mortgage etc...It would be nice to do a Virginia get together somewhere...have to get Thall involved.....

Tried the trunk walking trick this evening and I must say it was pretty fun. Tks to EKKA for the video demo. First time for me up over 25' without the hooks.

Just babysteppin

Climbing For Fun

I would love to hook up with some that are interested in learning what I know:) I believe there other guys here that can climb bettter than I..and I may be better than them. I am self learner that has been at it better than 20years now. I will not be the planner of our event though. I live in Northern VA but would be willing to travel some...I also have a cabin in Shanandoah county...if that works. lets make this work before it tooo cold.
Munkee feet

I live in Hampton, and would be interested in a some kind of get together. too busy to travel real far though. Gumneck, if you want to practice I have a friend with a ton of trees in his backyard. Just bring the saw with you!:D

I would really like to learn new climbing skills. I have done a little rock climbing and rappelling. I know it's not the same as climbing trees. I just sold my landscape maintenance/install business and moved to NC. Any teachers in the southern VA or Raleigh/Durham area?

Matt

I would like to learn something about climbing. I have a place at lake Anna if people are interested.

looks like you're ready

There are waaaaay more of you guys in VA than Mass. Someone has to take the reins and set the place and the date.:rock:

rb_in_va said:
I live in Hampton, and would be interested in a some kind of get together.

RB- Please let me know if you guys put anything together in the area. I'm a total newbie to climbing but would like to learn from some guys who know what they're doing if possible. I'm over on the Eastern Shore but could come across the bay.

Latest posts

Back