Rec Climbing on Rock Climbing Harness?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chad556

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was looking into getting into rec climbing with my girlfriend and I want to save as much money as I can on gear and still be safe. That said I was wondering if a $40 to $50 rock climbing harness would be a reasonable option. Not looking to do anything fancy just straight up a tree DdRT style probably on a blakes hitch, not looking to get too fancy here. It looks like rock climbing harnesses differ only in the fact that they have no side D rings for lanyard attachments but since I wont be doing any extreme limb walking or chainsaw work I shouldnt need a lanyard right? Or if i did need one for the double lanyard technique then i could always just attach both points to the front loop of the harness. Probably would be a little awkward but still safe i would think. I have poked around new tribe and other sites looking at gear and prices and such and I hope to start climbing when it warms up in the spring. Is there something I'm missing here? Would it be a bad idea to use a rock climbing harness in a tree? Would it be unsafe or just slightly inconvenient? Thanks for your insight!

I've climbed trees for a couple of years with a rock climbing harness, if you're not using spikes then you dont need the side rings so much. Rock climbing harnesses are just as safe, but they are a lot less comfortable. They aren't designed to be hung in continuously, they're only designed to catch you in a fall, so they arent well padded. Hanging in them for long periods of time will send your legs to sleep, and can eventually give you blood poisoning or kill you if you hang in them for a long time without moving (say, if you are unconscious for example).

If you're short on cash now then go with a rock climbing harness by all means. You can always get a nicer saddle later, and you'll really appreciate it then!

Shaun

Ahh Cool. Thanks for the reply that was just what I needed to know. Maybe i could add some padding to one or tweak it to make it a little more comfy. now all i need is to find a good rope and some hardware. Thanks!

Look into big wall climbing harnesses they are designed thicker and have more padding. Several years back Climbing Magazine did a extensive test of all the climbing harnesses on the market at that time and one of the tests was a six hour free air hang. Many of the harness did not passed as far as numbness in the legs but most of the higher end harnesses did such as the petzl jump. Which I have used for several years before I stopped climbing and is quite comfy for long periods of hang time. Even then a good rock harness is going to run eighty and up so why not just pul the trigger on a entry level tree saddle.

Even then a good rock harness is going to run eighty and up so why not just pul the trigger on a entry level tree saddle.

Plus a true tree saddle is going to a few added features you wish the rock harness had - side rings for a lanyard to take your weight off the line and secure you in the tree, hooks, loops and snaps to hang stuff like a short throwline, camera, water bottle, etc., and a tree harness is generally going to have wider webbinig which adds to comfort even without padding.

Good luck, have fun, be careful.

I agree, I was introducing some friends to tree climbing, and I lent one of them my saddle and climbed on a rock harness. While it is totally do-able, and really lets you move around incredibly easily in the tree, it is a real pain when you have to hang for a while, and not having a lanyard makes repositioning a bit sketchier. If you are planning for short climbing trips on trees with lots of branching, particularly low branching, a rock harness will be fine, and a lot of fun.

Don't go cheap. Do yourself a HUGE favor and plunk down the $ for a New Tribe saddle. You can't beat them for comfort. I understand that sometimes you have to watch your cash flow, but trust me on this one. I climbed recreationaly for 3 years with my wide back work saddle. It worked fine. But when I tried and then bought the NT saddle, it was a definite step up. The Tengu model is only $215 and will last you many many years. Visit the New Tribe web site and check them out. Enjoy your time in the canopy.

Hey thanks for the advice guys. I am thinking strongly about going with the tengu and then maybe picking up a decent rock saddle for when me and my girlfriend climb together. from what im hearing it would be a good idea to have at least one comfortable saddle for longer climbs/long hangs and that way it could also double as a work saddle if i do any trimming jobs this summer too. Thanks!

Don't go cheap. Do yourself a HUGE favor and plunk down the $ for a New Tribe saddle. You can't beat them for comfort. I understand that sometimes you have to watch your cash flow, but trust me on this one. I climbed recreationaly for 3 years with my wide back work saddle. It worked fine. But when I tried and then bought the NT saddle, it was a definite step up. The Tengu model is only $215 and will last you many many years. Visit the New Tribe web site and check them out. Enjoy your time in the canopy.

The Tengu is the most uncomfortable saddle I have ever tried to use. I just got my RA# from WesSpur, and this torture piece goes back tomorrow morning. If you are male, maybe MALE, then you will not be able to wear this thing without finishing the day singing soprano, even if you were a bass before you put it on. If you try to adjust it to not perform testicular surgery on you while aloft, the "wings" of the leg pads start performing surgery on the other side of you---YIKES! Really a nice looking piece, well constructed. I suppose the same was said of the Rack and Iron Maiden before they did their thing on unfortunates.

Latest posts

Back