Reccomend me a splitter. 2k$ or less

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMike

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My goal is to get 10-15 cord this year and hopefully every year after that. I don't know anything about splitters, split everything by hand last year. Looking for recommendations on a quality splitter that will handle that amount year in and year out for 2,000$ or less. 30" rounds at the biggest but id say averaging around 24"

If you have a "Coastal" up there they sometimes have sales on Speeco or Black Diamond splitters. A buddy bought a 37 ton, I think, for like $1399 from them a couple of months ago.

Check out Craig's List and Ebay. You may find a really good price on a splitter someone simply does not need or use any more. I listed my TW-6 on Craig's List. Has not sold, so I keep checking the ad every so often and see some good stuff out there in every price range. Just saw a dual Power Split in Craig'sList-central MI, $14,000. That would be sweet...

I have a 22-ton Huskee (Speeco) that has been great. You don't need anything over 22-ton, unless you just like to spend money. TSC is a good place to start looking, as well as any other farm and ranch type store. If you buy over the internet, you are going to pay lots of shipping and probably won't get any better functionality over all.

I'm still using my Fiskars X27. And for the big stuff, and 10lbs sledge and several wedges. I have offers to use gas powered splitters owned by neighbors, but I figure by the time I ask, pickup, get started, do, and return it, it's just faster to do it with the sledge and wedges.

15 cords a year? I did 22 cords one year, but usually average 4-5. For that much wood, I personally would consider saving more to buy a faster kinetic splitter like the Super Split. My Ariens 22T works for the amount I bring down off the mountain, though.

Montana Resident, You must just have a wood stove?? I did the axe thing for one year after installing my furnace and that was the end of the axe thing. I need way too much wood and am getting too old!

Montana Resident, You must just have a wood stove?? I did the axe thing for one year after installing my furnace and that was the end of the axe thing. I need way too much wood and am getting too old!

I'll be 55 in a few months. It does take a toll. I have used gas powered splitters, and IMO they are slow, noisy, take up a lot of space, and in the end I still have to handle, pick up and move the wood which is most of the work.

I figure maybe 5 to 10 years I'll need to get a gas powered splitter. Til then it's my free gym membership.

I've been looking at Cabeles Champion 25ton at $1195. I was thinking this year maybe, but a Sig P226 Tacops in 9mm might take up those discretionary funds.

I'll be 55 in a few months. It does take a toll. I have used gas powered splitters, and IMO they are slow, noisy, take up a lot of space, and in the end I still have to handle, pick up and move the wood which is most of the work.

Setting up rounds used to kill my back. With my splitter, I grab a round from the pile, split it, drop into a cart, and wheel it to the stack; never having to bend all the way to the ground. 100% agreement with you on the noise, though. Don't like it.

So with that said and getting back to the subject of this seriously-hijacked thread... the OP might consider an electric splitter!

Back