Recommend me a Log Splitter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't rule out the Electric Motor for the SuperSplit, I got the J Model last fall w/electric, since all of my splitting is within 100 ft. or so of power..
Super quiet, no bad gas to think about, oil changes, ect....... jus plug it in and go......love it !!!!
+1
I have the J model 11ov 1 hp motor (the least powerful SS configuration) and it handles 99% of what I need to split. I've learned some pieces are not worth trying to split and just cut them into chunks with the chainsaw. Regarding big rounds: if you buy an SS, you better either hand split into manageable sizes or get used to noodling. Handling a large round on the SS is not fun and a bit too much work for me. I find noodling quite easy and makes the splitting with the SS much easier. Also, be sure to have dedicated circuit and proper ga extension cord for distance from plug (I use 10ga 100 ft on 15amp or 20amp dedicated circuit).

Well called and talked to Connor at SS this morning. The savings of not getting a motor on the J model wasnt really worth it in my opinion. The shipping is probably gona be a deal killer. Over $400 bucks and thats me driving 2.5 hrs to the freight hub to get it. As much as Id love to have one and appreciate the fact of it being US made I just dont know if its a practical move. Especially for us moving and incurring all thise expenses. Especially when I can buy 3+ DHT 22t splitters for the price of a SS. DHT will be a local company to me....well 2.5 hrs away in Denver. I called and talked to there service dept this morning and was really pleased. You actually talk to someone who has a clue. He said something breaks we got the parts right here and will send em out or set you up with a local service center. He is checking to see what scratch and dent/floor models he has for sale and gona call back.

Haha! Yeah I sure will. I slept on the SS all weekend and I just cant make it make sense in my head or at the bank account. Too many folks recommending the DHT on here along with them being a site sponsor helps that feeling.

Well called and talked to Connor at SS this morning. The savings of not getting a motor on the J model wasnt really worth it in my opinion. The shipping is probably gona be a deal killer. Over $400 bucks and thats me driving 2.5 hrs to the freight hub to get it.

$400 sounds way high for shipping. I only paid $89 shipping for my el cheapo Harbor Freight splitter via Conway trucking. I picked mine up at the terminal in Knoxville. They even offer shipping to your house via truck with a lift gate for a bit extra.

I was thinking the same thing, even for Buena Vista. I had family there who's cabin bordered the Cottonwood river. There's a bar named the Green Parrot which can be an interesting place... There another member on here who sells wood in Buena Vista as well, I forget their handle. Good luck whichever way you go, but I'd vote for the Super Split too. I have a 35 ton Speeco and I've never stalled it splitting large Hedge, Locust, and other varieties. However, it's painfully slow and a PITA to move around. I've seen a J model slice through stringy, green piss elm without too much struggle. Pine, Aspen and other native species would be nothing for the J let alone the HD. I will have a special edition eventually, but that's about $5k I'm not sitting on currently...

Quote; The savings of not getting a motor on the J model wasnt really worth it in my opinion.

I did'nt get the electric cause it was cheaper.. I think the price was the same as a gas motor...
I got it for all the reasons I allready mentioned..
You can split wood and watch (and hear) a football game at the same time if you want ...

Haha! Yeah I sure will. I slept on the SS all weekend and I just cant make it make sense in my head or at the bank account. Too many folks recommending the DHT on here along with them being a site sponsor helps that feeling.
I have been there and made the same decision. A month later, I went against logic and finances and bought the SS because I really wanted it. Quiet operation and the ability to run it in my garage in winter were high on my list of requirements. It is a very nice tool but has a few limitations (horizontal mode only, tethered for electric version). Cycle speed was simply a bonus for me.

You will be happy with the DHT. Good luck with your move.

I was referring to the J model with NO motor.....nothing. No elec or gas. It was $2066 bare. Yes elec and Subaru engine are same price. The shipping really kicked it in the sack for me. Shipping cost half what a DHT costs nearly. And Im setting with a splitter that doesnt even work if you want to look at it that way.

Yeah the Green Parrot is up for sale with the bit apartment above it for $987k. Remember seeing it when we were lookin at real estate listings.

LMAO... That figures about the parrot. The only time I ever drank there was the only time I've been tipsy with my Dad at the same time, the day after we spread my Great Aunt's ashes. That was roughly 7 years ago. I used to go up every summer and sometimes in the spring and fall to visit Her and Her best friend as well as go camping and fly fishing with my Dad. I truly love it there especially with it's proximity to Leadville, Nathrop, Salida and the Mt. Princeton Hot springs. We have a bit of land up-canyon from the springs on the way to St. Elmo. D@!m I need to get back out there.

Thats awesome! We road all over Taylor Park, St Elmo, Pitkin, etc in July. We took our Polaris Ranger up there and put 720 miles on it. Fell in love, came home, sold our place in two weeks and bought a place in BV the next. Living the dream.......I hope!

Shipping on my HD model the beginning of this year wasn't but a couple hundred bucks to the freight terminal in Macon, Ga.

Back in college us students had to work to help the college out (smaller bible college) I spent many hours splitting wood for heating the teachers houses. They had a loaned SS, owned by a family that did logging and firewood for a living.
The owners told me that SS put them in business. 60+ cords a year no sweat, just a husband and wife team. After years of that they could buy a processor.
With all that use the SS ran fine and split many many cords a year for the school. Even twisted knotty stuff. The trick was to feel when it was gonna get stuck and let it disengage. Then nail it a few more times. Never did have to give up on a round. It took three of us to keep the SS hopping, one feeding rounds, one running the splitter, and one or more carrying the splits away.

I got to check out a DHT next to ariens at Lowe's. DHT has the full length beam, ariens is a half, DHT has a better cradle to hold the log on the beam, and grip paint on areas that hold the log. DHT also has a ruler marked on the beam, to help catch the odd too long round?
The biggest difference I noticed was DHT has a beefier frame under the full beam.
Also can't beat the price vs ariens.

I have run hydro splitters, I haven't seen one faster than my predator 20 ton. Thanks to the lack of a return stroke, I can split faster than any hydro I've run before.
That YouTube video is somebody who hasn't learned the trick for speed, DONT RUN THE RAM ALL THE WAY BOTH WAYS! instead run the wedge until the back end of it is an inch or three inside the round. Most of the time you can pull the split open by hand at this point.
Flip the log over the wedge and run the wedge into it the other way.
90% of the time you're only moving the wedge a foot or so back and forth in the middle. And I cut my Wood 18" long.
I also picked up the splitter at the store for $650 with a coupon. I bought the two year warranty for another $179. So far I think I really won't need it though. I've run over six cords through it so far.
The predator engine seems to be ad good as the Subaru engine on my generator, and look the same as the Honda on my compressor.

I think that the DHT units are about the best thing going at their price point. I would rather have one of them than my speeco but that moneys has long since bee spent and the Speeco owes me NOTHING after roughly 100+ cords of Oak, Hedge, Locust, Ash, various Elm, Sycamore, Hackberry, Mulberry and Maple. I think in the SS price range it would be a tossup between the Splitfire and the SS for Colorado firewood. You wouldn't need a large tonnage rating (compared to what I'm splitting), and both have advantages and disadvantages. DHT being local would be nice for repairs although I haven't heard of too may S.S. owners needing repairs n theirs.

Another DHT 22Ton vote here, my needs prefer it's faster cycle time vs the 27T's capacity. Mine was discounted because it leaked motor oil while on the floor at Lowe's which required (I kid you not) a "new seal (read "O-ring") on the rear dipstick/cap", for which it was reduced from the then current $1099 price to a cool $800. I added my own side table to cover the engine and more importantly give me work area to break down the big rounds I typically feed it.

Back