Recommend me a new bench vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better than the red. Try hammertone grey next time. (rustoleum?) Here is a valve cover I did with it, and a sample plate with a black base first, followed with a single light coat of grey. Came out kind of interesting.

DSCF2325 (Large).jpg black base (Large).jpg

This is my everyday vise in my shop. Been here since I was a kid. Not sure the age, I would guess from the sixty's or seventy's.
I like the custom copper jaw protectors, I've never seen ones like those you got there, gives it added character I think.

Just noticed that my cheap 20 year old Sears bench vise has a crack in the base, and will no longer tighten sufficiently. I'd like to upgrade to something reasonably nice, but cost is definitely a factor.

I'm posting here in the chainsaw forum since about 90% of the use will be holding a saw while I sharpen. But it will be my only serious vise, and thus also used for sharpening mower blades, and misc. metal bending, whacking, grinding and filing. I'm not a machinist or serious mechanic, but I don't want something crappy that's only suited to light duty work. Thus I'll probably stay away from Harbor Freight type stuff. But nothing boutique, either, and don't want to take the time to track down craigslist or other used options.

At the very upper end of my budget, the Yost 750 DI has caught my eye with the apparently high quality ductile iron and being able to rotate the pipe clamp to the top. The fact that it's relatively tall seems like a plus for sharpening saw chain, too.

I gotta stay under $200, max., and it'd be great to spend a lot less and still get something that will hold up. Any suggestions?

I've a bunch of vises mounted on my benches. The two largest are mounted on slabs of 8/4 oak that is through bolted onto the benches. That gives the vises a sturdy foundation, saves wear and tear on the benches, and the slabs are big enough that I can also use them to beat on things when needed near the vise.

Both of the vises I got used and are old USA made. One I purchased at a farm auction ($30), the other, believe it or not I grabbed from a dumpster. One is 6" the other 8" jaws. I made copper covers for the jaws when needed (nice for clamping in saw bars). The larger vise pivots and also has teeth below the jaws for grabbing round stuff/pipes (the 8" free one). I recommend these features. Another way to mount them is lag bolts on a large piece of stump you've cut off.

Anyway I'd shop around for a good vintage vise, farm auctions, tag sales, craigslist, etc.

A bench vise is like any tool. The buyer needs to know what they need and how much they are willing to spend for it. I have used tools my whole life to make a living. I believe life is too short to get frustrated with using cheap tools. When I wish to clamp something in a vise it needs to hold without constant retightening. I use wilton bullet vises. I use knipex pliers. I use Fluke multimeters. The list goes on and on. If you buy a good tool it only hurts when you pay for it or lose it. Buy a cheap tool you generally pay over and over and over.

Another Wilton bullet vise I just finished restoring. The pipe jaw pins and vise nut housing pins were replaced with custom made fine thread pins.

C0-2-L.jpg

C0-1-L.jpg

C0-11-L.jpg

C0-7-L.jpg

C0-16-L.jpg

C0-13-L.jpg

Here's what I started with. It had no paint on it when I got it.
16930499_1250277465007857_1982358361_o-L.jpg

I just finished a couple more Wilton bullets this afternoon. These are both 4" 9400 HDs and were both made 6-1-67. They were in a school's metal shop until it shut down.

9400%20Twins-L.jpg

Here's what I started with.
9400%20Twins_2-L.jpg

I debated on what color to paint these. They were originally a dark machine grey/battleship grey. I find that color boring, so opted to paint one Hammered Verde Green and the other Hammmered Silver. I'm calling this one The Silver Bullet, lol.
9400%20Silver_2-L.jpg

9400%20Green_1-L.jpg

9400%20Twins_3-L.jpg

9400%20Twins_4-L.jpg

These end caps were majorly caved in and required a lot of work to make right again.
9400%20Silver_6-L.jpg

9400%20Green_4-L.jpg

I just finished a couple more Wilton bullets this afternoon. These are both 4" 9400 HDs and were both made 6-1-67. They were in a school's metal shop until it shut down.

I debated on what color to paint these. They were originally a dark machine grey/battleship grey. I find that color boring, so opted to paint one Hammered Verde Green and the other Hammmered Silver. I'm calling this one The Silver Bullet, lol.

These end caps were majorly caved in and required a lot of work to make right again.

Nice work on the bullets, Brad! And although I HATE Coors Light, I really like your Silver Bullet vise!

I had similar issues in picking colors for mine. Really difficult to get specialty spray paint here -- not something that will easily ship overseas -- so I struggled to find the right colors for a few of my personal bullets.

I started off with a blingy green. Yuk. That got removed in quick order.

Then I tried red for the 3.5 and root beer metallic for the 4.5. Better, but still not great.

And then I found a fantastic hammered green locally that I'm quite fond of. Seen here pictured with a recent addition to the family - Baby Bullet. Despite its diminutive size, Baby cost me significantly more than the 3.5 or 4.5. Since this picture was taken, the 3.5 was fitted with some very nice new jaws.

I also see a lot of folks removing all the paint and just using a boiled linseed oil finish. I'm going to try that one of these days.

Scott

I finally got a Baby Wilton. I love this little thing. It's SO tiny!

I cleaned up the jaws, inserts, end cap, and anvil. I also straightened the swivel locks. Everything was wire brushed. I'm leaning towards not painting it. What do you think?

Baby%20Wilton_1-L.jpg

Baby%20Wilton_2-L.jpg

Baby%20Wilton_10-L.jpg

Here it is on top of a 9400 HD.
Baby%20Wilton_11-L.jpg

Baby%20Wilton_3-L.jpg

Baby%20Wilton_4-L.jpg

Baby%20Wilton_5-L.jpg

Baby%20Wilton_6-L.jpg

Baby%20Wilton_8-L.jpg

Baby%20Wilton_7-L.jpg