Recommended Gas/Oil Mixture Varies by Country

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was speaking to a local Husqvarna dealer and he stated that Husky recommends a different gas/oil mixture ratio based on country. Per the local dealer, Huskys sold in the USA have a recommend 50:1 ratio due to emissions, and not necessarily what is the optimum ratio for the engine.

Was he blowing smoke?

JQ

I don't know about Husqvarna, but every single piece of power equipment regardless of brand (Stihl, Shindaiwa, Oleomac etc) gets 2% premix here in Europe. The only exception to the rule is Hyundai, which "recommends" 4% premix.
Make of this what you want.

well my yamaha 2 stroke boat motor is listed as 25:1 breakin with 50:1 after breakin in Japan, but in the states it is listed as 50:1 breakin and 100:1 once breakin is completed....

I have both manuals the states side, and the japanese. when I bought the motor it came with a japanese language manaual, so I ordered the US manual for the same engine and needless to say I was scratching my head at first, but after a bit of reading on the english side, and then getting my JN buddies to read the japanese one to me (I read some kanji, but needed confirmation to be sure) I figured it had to be about emissions, as the engines are identical from the model numbers to the carb and plug are all the same.

Definitely possible. The Australian manual for my echo chainsaw states to use 50:1 for JASO FD/FC rated oils, but if using JASO FB rated oils use 25:1. No mention in the US manuals about anything other than 50:1!!!

so riddle me this gents, I cannot (as of yet) find the husky or stihl stuff over here in japan at a reasonable cost. On the base, I can get the 2 stroke oil for poulan chainsaws, weedwhackers etc. (that is all they sell at the base exchange is the bottom end poulan saws (PP4218). So my question is being that poulan is owned by Husqvarna, is the oil the same? or is it hot garbage? I can get a 4oz bottle of it for about 5 bucks in the exchange, or the 8 oz bottle for about 10. Anything else I need to buy out in town. I can get the shin daiwa chainsaw 2 stroke oil for about 20 bucks for a small bottle but have not found much else. too date I have been using the poulan in all of my two strokers but now that I got my husqvarna I am a bit worried

so riddle me this gents, I cannot (as of yet) find the husky or stihl stuff over here in japan at a reasonable cost. On the base, I can get the 2 stroke oil for poulan chainsaws, weedwhackers etc. (that is all they sell at the base exchange is the bottom end poulan saws (PP4218). So my question is being that poulan is owned by Husqvarna, is the oil the same? or is it hot garbage? I can get a 4oz bottle of it for about 5 bucks in the exchange, or the 8 oz bottle for about 10. Anything else I need to buy out in town. I can get the shin daiwa chainsaw 2 stroke oil for about 20 bucks for a small bottle but have not found much else. too date I have been using the poulan in all of my two strokers but now that I got my husqvarna I am a bit worried
... go to a nearby Home Center (Handy, Cainz Home, etc.) and get a bottle (1 liter) of FD 50:1 2-cycle oil ;) - the red stuff is the same as the one Stihl sells, the blue stuff is the Husqvarna type. Either one should be around 500 yen (5 bucks) per liter.

... go to a nearby Home Center (Handy, Cainz Home, etc.) and get a bottle (1 liter) of FD 50:1 2-cycle oil ;) - the red stuff is the same as the one Stihl sells, the blue stuff is the Husqvarna type. Either one should be around 500 yen (5 bucks) per liter.
so the brand is called FD?

Ken, I buy Stihl HP 50:1 oil from a Stihl dealer near me. I think its the product for the European market. Comes in one liter (34oz) and has its own squeeze-to-measure mixing bowl in the top. Costs 1500 yen per bottle. Here's a photo
24af8d11d266434d9a8f8177dbe6e3bb.jpg

They also sell synthetic oil, but its quite a bit more expensive, about double the price if I recall. Then again, all Stihl products are crazy expensive in Japan.

Generally, I avoid the J-homecenter stuff or the pre-mix they sell (yeah, a lot of it is 25:1). But my local gas station actually sells 50:1 right from one of the pumps! (out here, there's enough demand for it).

To find a Stihl dealer, do a google map search for スチールチェンソー (this says "Stihl Chainsaw") Or look in the Stihl Japan website for a dealer http://www.stihl.co.jp/dealer-locator.aspx#r=stage-teaser Or if this place is close, just go here, its in Kanagawa http://sinko-com.jp/

so the brand is called FD?

FD isn't a brand, its a 2 cycle oil classification (in Japan). I think FD is the best quality (as opposed to FA or FB), so if getting a J-brand of oil, just be sure it says FD in the little box on the label.

There are some oil brands on the market that would qualify as Jaso FD but the small companys can't afford the $75,000 Fee for the test which is some years old anyway. A premier oil company with 100% synthetic blend, you should have no problems, Buying saw company's branded oils is not always the best bang for your buck Stihl oil is advised on & blended by Castrol in Europe don't know about the US & comparable Castrol Blend is less costly than Stihl but if it's FD & 100% synth you pays your money & takes your pick.

Important is to mix at the ratio stated on the oil bottle. Some oils are pre-diluted to be mixed at 25:1, others are intended for 50:1 (but can also be mixed at 25:1, 33:1 or 40:1 if desired).
Mixing a 25:1 oil at 50:1 naturally may be disastrous...
Some of the pump mixes smell really funny after a short time - I don't even want to know what kind of oil they contain.

Back