Recommended gloves for splitting or stacking firewood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only time I wear gloves when splitting/loading wood is when its cold its cold enough that my hands get warm. I find them cumbersome and they slow me down. I will gladly deal with a few splinters now and then.

I used to be the same way, but the various gloves like this have really won me over. The cuff doesn't flare out so it doesn't collect all kinds of saw dust. They fit well allowing you to maintain a high degree of dextarity. And that rubber stuff lets you grip stuff so well you'd think you were spiderman or something. I finally broke down and tried a pair last spring, and I haven't looked back since. I cut, hauled, split, and stacked 8 truck loads (5/8~3/4 cord each) with one pair of the Atlas gloves with the blue coating. After that they had a few holes in them, and the rubber coating had noticable chunks that were starting to come off, so I pitched them and pulled another pair out of the package :) If you split by hand, the rubber coating will give you grief on your strong hand. Other than that, they are the cat's meow. I've heard that some of the other brands don't hold up as well, but I've been very happy with the Atlas gloves that I have.

As far as the Kevlar goes, I have a few pair from work that I want to try also. We refer to them as cut gloves because our safety department forces us to wear them any time we are using any kind of knife blade. We mold parts, and our operators often use blades to trim the gates. I have to use them if I'm going to use a knife while doing any kind of wiring. We make interior trim parts for the auto industry, so when a pair of gloves gets dirty I set them aside and sign out a new pair. At that point the dirty pair goes in the truck. I'm not sure if they are going to last longer or not, but we'll see. If not, I don't care. I'm happy with the Atlas gloves either way.

Hey Reaperman if you have a Menards near you they carry them. They are made by Ansell and contain dyneema in them. I have a couple pairs and agree that I have had much more use out of them than any other glove. I think that the run between $10-$15

Kevlar gloves

Try here Knit Gloves, Abrasion Resistant Gloves, Working Glove, Cut Gloves You get a break if you buy a gross but otherwise they're $7.70 pr. Not Kevlar though just Cut resistant high performance polyethylene (HPPE) knit gloves.

I got a pair of these gloves from a guy I work with. He gets a few pair from his brother now and then who appears to smuggle them from the place he works. The gloves are very lightweight and have a thin rubber coating on the palm side. He claims they are kevlar lined making them cut resistant, but I cant verify for sure. What I do know is they have held up better than any other glove I have ever used in splitting/stacking firewood. So far I have split about 8 cords and stacked at least 2 cords without a single tear or rip. I dont know where they can be purchased but I know they are obviously bought bulk. The company has a few hundred employees. The only writing on the glove is on the back side and it says: D-roc

I posted a picture below of the largest pile I split while wearing the gloves shown in the other two pics. Remember, I also split more wood than shown, and stacked at least 2 cords wearing the same pair of gloves.

I know this is an old thread, but based on it, I retired a bunch of leather work gloves and bought a pair of Atlas Thermal like those recommended. I bought my first pair in November I think, and wore them every day since for just about everything I do, but mostly, cutting, bucking, splitting, hauling, stacking, and chucking firewood. Yesterday my left thumb popped through, and 15° temps today sent me off to the hardware store for a splurge on Presidents Day. 10% off on a $5.99 pair of the best gloves I've found for working in the woods.

attachment.php

I'll save the right glove, but I always wear out the left glove, and I can't just turn one of these inside out to make a lefty like I do with the leather ones.

attachment.php

View attachment 279953
View attachment 279952

I got a pair of these gloves from a guy I work with. He gets a few pair from his brother now and then who appears to smuggle them from the place he works. The gloves are very lightweight and have a thin rubber coating on the palm side. He claims they are kevlar lined making them cut resistant, but I cant verify for sure. What I do know is they have held up better than any other glove I have ever used in splitting/stacking firewood. So far I have split about 8 cords and stacked at least 2 cords without a single tear or rip. I dont know where they can be purchased but I know they are obviously bought bulk. The company has a few hundred employees. The only writing on the glove is on the back side and it says: D-roc

I posted a picture below of the largest pile I split while wearing the gloves shown in the other two pics. Remember, I also split more wood than shown, and stacked at least 2 cords wearing the same pair of gloves.

Aq7NY.jpg

wx1ao.jpg

XXORO.jpg
You can buy these bulk from either Superior or Magid these ones have a cut level of (2) and have 13 gauge high performance polyethylene (HPPE) fiber blend, they are expensive but worth it, I checked it out for you just go to magidglove.com I think i will order myself some I go through gloves a lot, hate wasting money even stilh doesn't have what i need tried them all none hold up mostly just for chainsaw use I assume.

All gloves has there pros and cons.
I have 55 year old farm hands that have worked with no gloves all my life.
So for the most part I dont use them, unless i'm dealing with sharp barb wire or its very cold.
My main reason is because gloves are expensive and they dont last me a week.
If its hot and your sweating and wearing leather gloves. Your asking for a hand full of blisters.
Leather traps moisture and makes your calluses get soft and blister, then pop and burn like hell.
Cotton or cloth gloves breath and don't bust blisters very much at all.
But leather gloves are mandatory for some jobs, like working with hot steel or other hot objects.

AS far as firewood is concerned, I have learned a few tricks.
First, dont just grab with a strong grip. gently grab it so you don't get poked by a splinter.
Then as you throw or toss the wood, "never" and I mean "never" let the wood slid out of your hand as you toss it.
When you toss it. let it go.
Though my hands are like a catchers mitt, They got that through lots of hard work.

So for the most part I dont use them, unless i'm dealing with sharp barb wire or its very cold.
If its hot and your sweating and wearing leather gloves. Your asking for a hand full of blisters.
Leather traps moisture and makes your calluses get soft and blister, then pop and burn like hell.
But leather gloves are mandatory for some jobs, like working with hot steel or other hot objects.

First, dont just grab with a strong grip. gently grab it so you don't get poked by a splinter.
Then as you throw or toss the wood, "never" and I mean "never" let the wood slid out of your hand as you toss it.
Though my hands are like a catchers mitt, They got that through lots of hard work.

Thank you for advice, my grip isnt what it used to be that is why i like the gloves wood slips through ,to many years of caning, which i still do, plus for me i try and look like a lady just without the nails lol. I did find a thin pair with some sort of rubber coating made by john Deere that buy bulk when they go on sale, i have to discard them about every 4 months , not to bad, average cost per pair comes out to 1.79
I hate spending too much, But they work well.

Thank you for advice, my grip isnt what it used to be that is why i like the gloves wood slips through ,to many years of caning, which i still do, plus for me i try and look like a lady just without the nails lol. I did find a thin pair with some sort of rubber coating made by john Deere that buy bulk when they go on sale, i have to discard them about every 4 months , not to bad, average cost per pair comes out to 1.79
I hate spending too much, But they work well.

I have been a farm boy all my life, so have worked with and without gloves many times.
I also race Motocross. Having tried many types of gloves has tought me what glove works in most situations.
Leather gloves do cause blisters. I switched to A macanics cloth gloves. And they last just as long as a leather glove. No more blisters.
cloth gloves breath and wick out the moister keeping your hands dry so your calluses from blistering.
It depends on the work and wearing the proper glove for the job.

I havent worn a pair of gloves in years. Dont like them. Never have. It never fails that when I wear gloves, I endup snagging them on something. I cant pickup anything because I cant get a grip. And I hate sweaty hands in the summer time

I always prefer working with no gloves . I always tried to work myself inside before January , I mostly used Jersey style gloves and I'd cut the thumb and index of the gloves back a bit so I could finger nails and such .... More than the cold cracking of my hands bothered me the most in the winter. I have used those type gloves "rubberized" and they work well doing masonry but other wise hold moisture from sweat. I didn't find them very warm gloves in general sometimes you just need them ... If we had to be outside depending on what we were doing we chased the sun around the house... anyhow that's my story and I'm sticking to it !

I buy leather four packs does turning the inside out really work I have lots of lefts. I need my fingers soft for my payed work.

We use them at work 100% of the time (not by choice but a safety thing).
Ours are Kevlar and have the dipped rubber on them too. I've tried them for firewood splitting/stacking and they're not bad, but I find that they are so thin that they don't protect against sharp points and edges as well as thick leather gloves do. I still use them because I get the old ones with worn off coating from work so why not.
I prefer leather lined gloves to keep my hands soft and protected...ha,ha.

Back