Recommended saw size for max 20-25" bar Panther mill 2/alaskan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notomo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The biggest log I have right now from my property is 18" across at the widest point and I don't think there is much out there that is any bigger, probably the hardest stuff to mill will be my black ash which is also the biggest. Maybe at some point I would pick up some logs off craigslist but I don't see myself upgrading mills for a long time so I will stay under the 25" bar. Oh also if it helps I am in Northern MN

I know a lot of guys say buy the biggest you can get but I am really trying to not spend a lot I have a lot more time than I have money. So if you guys have any suggestions on maybe the smallest cc I should even think about especially if you have milled black ash I would greatly appreciate the input. Unless I see a really good deal on ebay or craiglist it will probably be a month at least before I buy something.

Sounds about right. 60-65 cc would be on the edge of acceptable. I have a 75cc on a 36 bar so I can cut about 30" that is the max I want to do with it.
You can kinda work back from there.
Chad

Just for giggles.....what happens when your buddy brings ya a 'gift log' that measures 48" across and 11' long?

Scott (it'll happen, it always does) B

Anyone have a link to Joe's post?

That saw has been sold, but there are always saws on the trading post. I got tired of waiting and just PM'd him because I noticed he did a lot of big saws plus people talked about his quality, got lucky he was in the middle of the 394. I had milled some tulip(yellow) poplar with my 371 and a 24" bar and had absolutely no issues but that is one of my favorite firewood saws and just decided on a dedicated milling saw with some port work so it would run cooler. I understand financial constraints so if you can only have one saw research on here and pick your favorite flavor saw and guarantee you will have plenty of people for and against that saw!

Just for giggles.....what happens when your buddy brings ya a 'gift log' that measures 48" across and 11' long?

Scott (it'll happen, it always does) B
Considering I only ordered a 25" Panther 2 not much I could do, that being said if I got that addicted which I only see happening if I actually start making some money doing it then I could invest in bigger stuff.

For what its worth, I wouldnt even consider a 70cc saw. Go with 80cc or more if you have the budget. Rippin boards is rough on saws and takes time and significantly more time if you are using a saw thats underpowered.

My first saw for milling was a simple MS390 with 24" bar/chain combo. Worked very well until the day I was able to afford better and it went as part of the trade.....as far as I know, the saw is still running strong for the other fella. Did it take a while longer milling a piece of timber? Maybe.... Did it always finish the task at hand? Always....

Typically this topic would have brought out the "You-need-to-buy-50000cc" saw by now.....I surprised.

Scott (use what you can afford) B

I have a line locally on a Stihl MS 441 magnum for $400 has 150psi new sprocket rim 18 bar and new chain I have been watching ebay and craiglist and everything in this kind of price range with 70+cc is a LOT older what do you guys think of this for milling under 18" logs so with like a 24" bar it does not have the electronic carb it is an older one with standard carb. 3 screw. I also like the idea since it is a newer saw if I did get hooked resale would be easier than with a much older saw.

I have an 075 and several 70cc and smaller saws. I like the power of the 075 for wide cuts, but if you are going to be doing dimensional milling, rather than all stabbing cuts, a 70cc saw works just fine. Larger is better if you can afford it. One way to keep performance to optimum if you don't have the biggest tool in the box, is to outfit the milling saw with .050" gauge low profile ripping chain or "picco" chain. It takes 30%less hp to keep that chain in the cut vs 3/8" chain as the kerf is 124" vs 3/8". Less power required, less waste and more potential useable product. A win all the way around.

I have an 075 and several 70cc and smaller saws. I like the power of the 075 for wide cuts, but if you are going to be doing dimensional milling, rather than all stabbing cuts, a 70cc saw works just fine. Larger is better if you can afford it. One way to keep performance to optimum if you don't have the biggest tool in the box, is to outfit the milling saw with .050" gauge low profile ripping chain or "picco" chain. It takes 30%less hp to keep that chain in the cut vs 3/8" chain as the kerf is 124" vs 3/8". Less power required, less waste and more potential useable product. A win all the way around.
I had been thinking of using Low profile chain I did not know it took 30% less power. That should make a 70cc saw pretty nice running a 24" or shorter bar I would think, my Panther II came yesterday and I am itching to try it out but no saw other than my ms 170 I may try to stick it on there anyhow and try and mill some really small pine just to try out the mill. I have a spare bar for the 170 anyhow that I don't ever use so long as the mill wont pinch the bar and wreck it would be nice to try out the mill.

Let me qualify the prior stAtement. The kerf is 30% smaller with low profile chain. With a 70cc saw it speeds up the feed rate in a given current by 30%. I used 3/8" chain before switching to picco chain and saw this increase in feed rate first hand. If I didn't have a 70 cc saw, I would use at least a 60cc. An MS170 will be abismalay best. I have edged with a 54cc saw. I would not go under that size personally. You may well end up burning up completely a 170 trying to mill with it

Let me qualify the prior stAtement. The kerf is 30% smaller with low profile chain. With a 70cc saw it speeds up the feed rate in a given current by 30%. I used 3/8" chain before switching to picco chain and saw this increase in feed rate first hand. If I didn't have a 70 cc saw, I would use at least a 60cc. An MS170 will be abismalay best. I have edged with a 54cc saw. I would not go under that size personally. You may well end up burning up completely a 170 trying to mill with it

Oh no plans to mill with the 170 just run it maybe a foot or 2 on maybe a 6-10 inch pine or something just to try out the mill not do a whole log or anything. Probably less taxing than slicing those ash to length with it. I will be buying a real saw for milling I just don't know when. I have no plans on destroying the 170 I love that little thing. I just want to make sure the panther mill is in working order

One of the 360s I have came off a mill. The previous owner milled enough logs to build a house, so I guess it wasn't all that bad.

When I first started I said my 28 inch bar wiuld be perfect matched with a 30 inch granberg mill. 1 year later I also have 56 inch rails for the mill and a 42 inch bar. 2 years later I need more chain. I can see it now in 2 more years I'll want a bigger saw. Point is go big always go big no matter what u do

That's why I was thinking a 80cc saw would be a good saw for a while. And the stock oiler should be more than sufficient for bar lengths 28-30".

Back