Reconditioning the plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeywood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Husky that was in a fire and wondered if there was a way to polish up the plastic a bit with anything.

ive heard that a small amount of diesel on a rag does wonders. never tried it though because i was always taught "saw cut wood, wood go in fire."

:givebeer:

try

I was thinking of trying some rubbing compound, then a clearcoat... You kinda need something abrasive I believe to scuff it, then polish it... Lemme know if you find something else eh? I know on my headlights I use like a 1000 to a 1500 grit wet sanding, and then some mother's polish and it makes the plastic headlamps look brand new.

:cheers: eh?

I usually use brasso, I don't know what caused me to think of it in the first place. I may have had a few beers in me.:cheers:

I usually use brasso, I don't know what caused me to think of it in the first place. I may have had a few beers in me.:cheers:
There is a product called PC Plastic Renew it is sold as dirt bike plastic renovator , basically you sand the scratches out with fine wet and dry and then apply a clear top coat.
I am not sure if it works on saws but the plastic shouldn't be too different from the dirt bike stuff.
Apparently the finish is only as good as the work you put in.

I have some weathered Stihl plastic covers that need reconditioned. There is a layer of faded plastic crust on the outside that needs sanded off. I'm assuming that will require elbow grease and progressively finer grits of wet-or-dry. Any short cuts? Possible power tool action? (me lazy) I plan to finish it with Meguiar's Plast-X (thanks Brad C.) when all is ready for polishing.
Oh, I suck at "UTFSE" (me no hi tech wiz)
me love chainsaws though:greenchainsaw:

Back