Recreation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I am as crazy as my neighbors think. I have more wood in the stash than I can burn in the foreseeable future (81 now). Clear cutting a 1/4 mile or more row of old, big, dying willow for one farmer just to have something to do. Selling willow at $120/cord (7 last year). That isn't lasting so I volunteered (never do that) to clean up the deadfall in another farmer's small tree farm (about 15-20 acres. Was driving around witht he PU picking it up, building piles and burning. Finished everything that wasn't too steep so am now starting to tear apart piles that he dozed of deadfall, down dtrees etc. Just started one yesterday: I do not plan to take any of the wood.

dozer%20pile_zps95r9eoya.jpg

That's Mike who cuts with me some times. We found a couple logs in that pile and pulled them out. One Red Fir and one big White Oak. Butt cuts were all my 28" bar cared to handle.

oak_zpszrtijl9f.jpg

Farmer said to take them. Mike got over a cord with the two combined.

Tearing that pile apart wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Two days in and I am about half done with it. (4hours/day)...but then it is recent so the dirt that is mixed in hasn't settled. There are other piles that have been there for several years.

Just something to do to keep the joints working and lots of practice sharping chains due to cutting dirty logs.

Looks like a great place to work! serene! I see why you guys bring the lawn chairs.

What does the willow burn like?
I have piled tons and tons of them but never tried burning them for fire wood.
But I turn down hackberry too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does the willow burn like?
I have piled tons and tons of them but never tried burning them for fire wood.
But I turn down hackberry too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burns very nicely but you have to load he stove frequently. I have regular customers paying $120/cord for it and I heated my house with it for over 30 years. Went through 6-7 cord/yr. Still use it to mix in with the black locust.

Back