red oak for trailer flooring ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like any type of oak for trailer flooring if the trailer sets out doors in storage.
I much prefer Ash and there is Ash still around alive and even some dead stuff solid enough to make into lumber.

:D Al

Red oak is a poor choice for any kind of outdoor project. White oak on the other hand is excellent and is one of the most rot resistant wood types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

T
Red oak is a poor choice for any kind of outdoor project. White oak on the other hand is excellent and is one of the most rot resistant wood types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
that is what I have read but we have a red oak blow down 40" x 20' straight as an arrow and dad was thinking if it absorbs stains so well for indoor use maybe it would absorb a sealer for outdoor use. I disagree but out of respect thought I should ask some people who know more about it

Wish we had oak here. The original floor of my small dumptruck was oak. It lasted 30 years before it needed to be replaced (IE Plywood over the top).

The other trucks are steel beds. I think it's worth the extra $$. Though the one on my 81 is starting to rusting through over the top of the crossmembers near the wheels.

Keruing??
It is a hardwood similar in colour of Mahogany but with a more pronounced grain it was used for floors & structural parts on fair ground rides,since the demise of Elm it has also been used in the UK for the bottoms of composite construction canal boats it is very long lasting in an always wet or wet dry situations .In the Us it is Known as Asian Mahogany good out doors if treated with teak oil some logs exude a resinous liquid Depending on the source it can be really hard & dense & weighs heavy back in the day I've heard it referred to as Poor Mans Teak

If you seal it well and then put a UV protective coat on it and upkeep it every 4-5 years I should last OK.

Or, go to your decking supply company, or salvage a bunch from a hurricane and do your trailer in Ipe.

Latest posts

Back