Red Oak Leaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
Moss came over two Sunday's ago and we started working on this red oak we call The Leaner. He took out a lot of dead wood to prep the tree for my first climb. The wind picked up a lot and it got dark, but I was able to clip in and ascent 6 or 7 feet that first day. He came back last Sunday and we finished taking out some dead wood (got to practice some entry-level rigging) and then we started climbing. We guessed that his rope was set around 60 feet and the rope I went up on was set at around 50 feet. Due to the lean, we were hanging about 10 feet from the trunk when we started ascending. I learned a lot when watching Moss climb up and lanyard-in; it really helped clarify the things I've been reading. When it was my turn to clip in and climb, I had a better feeling of what had to be done.

There's one more. Also, we left a tag line in this tree for future climbs.

Sorry about the sideways pictures!

You did a great job on your first climb, looking forward to the next time. We'll have to get you set up with a photo editor so you can rotate images etc.

Take care,
-moss

Hi Moss,

I have microsoft's picture-it program and I thought I rotated these images when I compressed them, but I guess I didn't. I should have checked before I posted them, but was still half asleep this morning when I started the thread.

I'll see if I can edit the images.

Thanks for your mentoring. I look forward to our next climb. I ordered a throw bag and some zing-it so I can start practicing my throws.

looks like a great start! hope you enjoyed it enough to get progressively more into it. stay safe and keep us posted on your progess! if you dont already have it, the tree climbers compainion is a great refrence for new climbers!

Latest posts

Back