Red Oak "Odor"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodbooga said:

"Does the tannic acid pervade the entire tree? I know it's heavily concentrated in the bark which was prized by tanners who'd crush it up in barkmills for their tanpits. Hemlock too. Which begs the question - why doesn't hemlock have oakwhiff if it's the tannic acid that imparts the aroma?

If someone knows, I'll be in your debt. I've wondered this for years"

Don't know 'zactly woodbooga, but I'm guessing the fir-type resins are overpowering the sap containing tannic acid. And yes, it is concentrated in the sapwood. I do know that when you saw red oaks in the spring when the sap is rising, you don't want to get any sawdust it in your eyes! Talk about burning!

I learned long ago to not get to close to the circle sawmill blade when we sawed red oak. Every now and then we'd hit what we called a "water pocket" when sawing red oak and it'uld sling everywhere, and sometimes right into your face!

Red Oak, There ain't no better smell. It will be fine when seasoned. Just me but i like the smell of fresh cut and split red oak, i guess it's cause i know it's gonna be some good firewood and no need for natural gas which does stink to me.

I'm stealing a break from bucking up a nice FAT 30" Red oak right now.

I think you guys are off your Rockers.
There's no "Doggy doo" smell. Maybe a hint of "Wet Beagle" mixed with the smell of the rotting leaves it's been laying on for several months, but nothing offensive. My grungy Chaps will curl your nostril hairs though...LOL!!

What I really enjoy is the slight hint of Cinnamon that comes off of Red oak when it initially goes into the fire.

Y'all make the Red oak sound like it's some nasty stuff!!!LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Y'all make the Red oak sound like it's some nasty stuff!!!LOL!!

You tell 'em. The one notable exception are the oaks grown say maybe in a 30 mile radius of Alton Bay, NH. Those are the nasty ones. And as a public service to any Granite Staters reading this, I would be willing to alleviate their suffering by removing the offending wood and disposing of it properly.

Charity begins at home and I'm a firm believer in philanthropy. :)

You tell 'em. The one notable exception are the oaks grown say maybe in a 30 mile radius of Alton Bay, NH. Those are the nasty ones. And as a public service to any Granite Staters reading this, I would be willing to alleviate their suffering by removing the offending wood and disposing of it properly.

Good think'n Bill...........
I will offer the Same service to the Nutmegers in a 40 Mile radius of Lyme, CT.

I smoked some fish one time with red oak saw dust, it was some of the best tasting smoked fish I have ever eaten.

A few stinkers

I've only run into a few stinkers, and they've all been the same species. I've cut a few diseased pin oaks that have smelled like cow manure, but all the northern red oaks I've cut smell great.

Love Red Oak, see I've got the good ones on my acreage, they smell like a cross between tangy fermenting wine (remember Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill) and dollar bills I can use at the Doll House to encourage entrenprenurial reawakening in our country.
***** ********* And it sure burns sweet. *****************
By the by I was married in Moultonboro, by the Rev. Ike Moulton back in 80 something. Which wife that was you don't want to ask.

When I split red oak I hold my nose to it and want to take a bite.
Red oak is pungent and I love it!

What surprises me is how much moisture is in split red oak that's been down for a several years. It makes me want to smash my moisture meter for lying to me.

Perfect. Kindly tell her her she's more than welcome to cut, buck, and split her own better smelling alternative.

:buttkick: :D

LOL!!!!
I'll start gettin' the spare room cleaned out.

Give it a couple months after the nuptuals and you'll notice the hog ring pliers in the junk drawer, and an odd irritation in the nostrils now and then...;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

LOL!!!!
I'll start gettin' the spare room cleaned out.

Give it a couple months after the nuptuals and you'll notice the hog ring pliers in the junk drawer, and an odd irritation in the nostrils now and then...;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Oh Man, Hog Ring Pliers,,,,,, now THAT takes me back to the day.

When I split red oak I hold my nose to it and want to take a bite.
Red oak is pungent and I love it!

What surprises me is how much moisture is in split red oak that's been down for a several years. It makes me want to smash my moisture meter for lying to me.

I'll take some pics of the mess I'm makin' on the creek bank with a Red Oak I dropped last Febuary. So far the noodles are only ankle deep and I'm only half done. Sap Down 30" rounds STILL weigh 100lbs or more, almost a year after the tree was dropped. Red Oak hangs onto the water like a cat on screen door.

Oh, and the fragrance is delightfull!!! I rolled in the noodles all afternoon.
The Bathroom closet where the dirty clothes hamper is now is all about "Essence of Oak"... My wife dosn't seem to mind one whit, unless I have been into creek bottom mud...THEN I get my Keester kicked.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Love Red Oak, see I've got the good ones on my acreage, they smell like a cross between tangy fermenting wine (remember Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill) and dollar bills I can use at the Doll House to encourage entrenprenurial reawakening in our country.
***** ********* And it sure burns sweet. *****************
By the by I was married in Moultonboro, by the Rev. Ike Moulton back in 80 something. Which wife that was you don't want to ask.

Now that's the oak that I like to smell. It seems like it's mostly the white oaks that smell that way. They have somewhat of a sour smell. Those old black locusts stink too but it's worth it to get the good wood.

I also love the smell of walnut, cedar and sassafras.

Latest posts

Back