Red Oak "Odor"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback. I have moved the bulk of the oak to its place of seasoning and the odor close to the house is all but gone.

I had no idea my questions would spur a 60+ post thread but I have enjoyed reading each of your inputs -- from the love of the oak smell and describing its "essence" (good or bad) to identifying the most foul smelling of species. Those that have shared similar experiences with alleged dead critters and outraged neighbors and a desire to bottle and market the smell have made this thread that much more entertaining.

While I did not suggest that my wife buck, split and stack her own wood, I did politely remind her she would not have the same reaction as the wood is keeping her (us) toasty warm in a matter of months.

Based on the majority of responses I am confident that after it has some time to experience a little fresh air the worst of the stench will be gone.

Thank you to all who read or posted I appreciate the input -- :cheers:

Last edited:
Throw me into the "I love RED OAK smell"...

That being said I think many of us have Red confused with PIN oak or Chestnut oak. Which to me smell like horse poopee. and is stringy where Red Oak smells like fresh dough or bakers yeast due to something fermenting as mentioned prior.

Can someone post a side by side of Red Vs Black Oak. and a Pin as well. Red oak is being unfairly profiled by the stink police and it's not fair !!!

Reminds me of the old song "trees" by Rush.

Quercus = oak genus

The red oak section of genus quercus includes black oak, pin oak, and northern red oak (among many others). That is why I included pin oak in my reply. Most folks around me see pointed lobes on an oak leaf and simply call the tree a red oak.

As a woodworker I hate red oak. When I mill rough sawn boards it makes my shop smell like vomit. Hence my wife and kids can always tell when I am working with "vomit wood" as they call it.

That's pretty darn close to what I think it smells like. I call it baby puke smell.

yes pin oak is very stanky! but i kinda like it for sum reason. we have alot around here and my dad used to cut alot of it when i was a kid. now im cuttin it and luv it for burning in my stove...great heat, long burn low ash. so yea i kinda like the smell. also pin oak is very easy to identify...they grow strait up with little banches all the way to the ground.

yes pin oak is very stanky! but i kinda like it for sum reason. we have alot around here and my dad used to cut alot of it when i was a kid. now im cuttin it and luv it for burning in my stove...great heat, long burn low ash. so yea i kinda like the smell. also pin oak is very easy to identify...they grow strait up with little banches all the way to the ground.

I don't look for pin oaks. I simply walk along and whenever a tree takes off my hat, there will be a pin oak. :D

If they put that smell up in bottles, I'd buy a small supply if the price was right.

To me it's sweet ambrosia. My mind associates the smell with gettin out there and gettin it done. Makes me think of lacing up the boots, sharp chains, topping off the oil for once without overfilling, and an empty truck bed that soon won't be.

The perfect compliment to oak whiff is the smell of 2-cycle exhaust. Like a whoopie pie goes better with a bottle of Moxie.

To be sure, fresh-cut red oak smells like an expired jar of Ragu dumped on a sweaty pair of tennis shoes that have been in a gym locker since the Clinton administration.

But I like it. :)

:agree2: :cheers:

Back