Red Oak rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We all have brain cramps from time to time. Come to think of it, I usually loosen mine with whiskey aged in charred white oak barrels.

:cheers:

Yassir, I was in the white oak barrel from Tennessee last night.
:cheers:
Please tell me that is what's called a senior moment, cause we all know.....SENIORS RULE !!!! :msp_biggrin:
White oak all day @ any hardwood grade mill. 25 years as a lumber grader/sawmill-owner/timberbuyer, gives me the expertise, 100+ million boardfeet worth!
I do stand corrected, as davec and Jed pointed out to me, I was having a serious brain fade last night when I posted that. Still no excuse for the mistake. And that white oak log I'm cutting and splitting does smell rather pleasant when riding in the back of my truck :)

Here is the red oak I cut last week to compare to this one
. There's a big difference in the bark, and now that it's daylight the color is much redder than what I'm splitting off this log.

chainsaws105Large.jpg

chainsaws106Large.jpg

Here is another shot of the oak from last week right next to some oak I'm getting off of the same lot that the big log is on. Big round is red and the small round is white.

chainsaws103Large.jpg

What I'm used to calling white oak has a flaky, almost paper thin bark on it that is easily peeled off. It may be just a different species of white oak.

I love those big rounds, seems most folks are scared off by them. Those bigger older trees seem to split easier than the same species in the 20 to 24 inch range to me.
You one tough hombre' if you split this with a maul, I hammered on this one with my 12lb. splitting maul and barely got a crack in it. Then I moved in with my hydraulic splitter to git her did. ;) You're right, 20-24" red oak logs are a lot easier than this with a splitting maul. Red oak seems to split easier than white oak.

Based on the estimated weight of that log and the average weight of a cord of white oak, I'm going to say you will get right at 1 full cord out of it. Depending on how loosely you stack, it might come out to a hair more than a cord as far as space is concerned, but it won't be less than a full cord. ;)

Nice log, Whatever it is it will make some good firewood. I love those big oak rounds. Much faster to get a truckload. Great score, Thanks for the look.

0.88432 cord, give or take a tenth!!!

You are prolly getting 50-70 splits per round

send me that wheel weight for a week and we will call it even

Now we're getting into some woodmen knowledge. Y'all's are good.

My son and I split two rounds last night right at dusk. It proved too much for my splitting mauls so I wrestled in under the Brave 25 ton splitter to git her done :msp_wink: the splitting mauls were there for strays.

We counted 75 splits out of the first one and 79 out of the second one. Stacked tight in the back of my truck up to 48" high, it measured in at roughly 1/3 of a cord. Both rounds were measured @ 20" in length.
It's 5 1/2" between the bed rails, and it gets wider in the bed below the rails, so I figure it's averaging 5 1/2" with the pieces missing from over the rails to make it an even stack.
Here's two rounds of it split.
chainsaws096Large.jpg

There's 9' left of the log and I'm gonna cut it 21" to get 5 more rounds out of it.
Redoakneck and treepointer, stay away form my wheel weights...:msp_sneaky:

Man that is some NICE WOOD!!!.

70-80 splits per round, sure is great to hear that first 'POP' when you split the round for the first time. I always look for an existing crack and line it up with the splitter edge, then stand back. I had some 28" that I was getting 50 splits per round. That is big wood.

And while you are busy splitting wood I'm goin' sneek in and steal that wheel weight:laugh::msp_thumbup::cool2:

Takes Forever to Dry

I cut some of this gorgeous wood from a 12' long log last year about the same diameter. The log was orginally cut green by a logger nearly 4 years ago and lying in a dry spot. Last fall I bucked it down to 8 rounds in 18" lengths. I averaged 55 to 60 logs per round after the splits.

Dang stuff was still wet on the inside heartwood especially, so I saved most of it for this September. Man, those big rounds were heavy!:bang:

However, I have some green mulberry rounds that I just bucked that are about the same size. These are even heavier but only because of the enormous amount of water within. I'll have to noodle cut them in half just to get them onto the truck's tailgate with two men lifting.

Last edited:
I cut some of this gorgeous wood from a 12' long log last year about the same diameter. The log was orginally cut green by a logger nearly 4 years ago and lying in a dry spot. Last fall I bucked it down to 8 rounds in 18" lengths. I averaged 55 to 60 logs per round after the splits.

Dang stuff was still wet on the inside heartwood especially, so I saved most of it for this September. Man, those big rounds were heavy!:bang:

hell yeah that red oak is crazy heavy! i dropped a 24" diameter one not too long ago, thing was GUSHING sap/water out of the cut, first gusher ive ever had i couldnt believe how much liquid came out, beautiful wood though

Back