Red Oak slabs?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call your local mom and pop saw mills and ask what they charge. If you cannot transport the log yourself then your options are limited to finding someone with a portable mill that will travel to you, pay someone to move it, buy a chainsaw mill. A 60" slab with a chainsaw mill is no easy task. I do believe that would call for a double saw mill.
I have an Amish saw mill that will SW anything I bring for $0.12 per bdft. There's another local saw mill that charges $0.22/bdft, and a mobile Amish saw mill that charges $0.28/bdft with a minimum quantity.

Wow that's dirt cheap! We charge by the hour, but it's in the area of 0.35-0.40/bd ft.

A ms 660 or 661 or ported Work saw 066 with a 66" bar and Alaskan mill set up would mill that with a skip chain. Tadin post may provide the powerhead for $1100 or less (my last buy ported cylinder 661 was that price) 66" bar around $400, 2 Chains $100 or less . No recent buy of Alaskan to guess the cost of setup for that length bar. So it comes down to Self how much fun do I think I may have "slicing" logs into lumber table tops , unique live edge boards (up to 62" wide x as long as set up can be made on longest logs) Unique live edge slabs/tables can provide a much larger pay back for each square foot than standard ( everybody has it ) I have Around $5k in 5 powerheads, over 200 feet, on reels of chain, several milling bars from 24", up to 72" dual power cannon coming this month. and the missleanus side stuff. I have so much enjoyment and hope for what can be made when the boards etc. I've cut dry enough to be used. But it is too much work to do it for money. Money, direct from the process would destroy my fun (-;

Back