Red Oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a solid 25' x 40/36" green trunk. Is it worth anything to have it cut into slabs or boards?
If you are going to use it or make stuff yes. You have to let it dry for a couple years after its milled though. Even if you don't milled dry Oak is worth money. Not a lot but a fair amount.

I have a solid 25' x 40/36" green trunk. Is it worth anything to have it cut into slabs or boards?
More valuable if you make something from the lumber that results. Always the more talent required and work involved. You know to seal ends before milling, cause it is quicker/easier and stickering and re-sealing after a short bit. If air drying most stick with 1 year per inch of thickness, but that depends on ambient conditions of your surroundings. Personally I like to end up with the largest boards ,with live edge, as I can find. Part of the time that is just me. To each his/her own. Enjoy

More valuable if you make something from the lumber that results. Always the more talent required and work involved. You know to seal ends before milling, cause it is quicker/easier and stickering and re-sealing after a short bit. If air drying most stick with 1 year per inch of thickness, but that depends on ambient conditions of your surroundings. Personally I like to end up with the largest boards ,with live edge, as I can find. Part of the time that is just me. To each his/her own. Enjoy
Got any pics of your work brother? I do a little of that.

Got any pics of your work brother? I do a little of that.
I have been lucky to have the right help twice with posting stuff off my tablet. Otherwize I'd have more in here than my avatar. I've had two chunks of Ash both in the 37-39" diameter. The one of the stump in my avatar was 8 1/2' long and yielded 13 slices of several thickness, the other was a tree service dump in the town yard waste dump,it was 50" and yielded 9 slices 1 5/16" thick which may become apartment or breakfast tables in a year or so. I sold one slice to a young man for $15 which almost cleared his wallet, and more than covered the mix and oil cost for what I'd used there. If I ever get posting pic's off my tablet I hope to not get too carried away because three tree services saw me slicing a similar diameter x 122" white Oak , and wanted my phone # in hopes of saving $ by putting some of the take away on me. One hand washes the other. I've got a standing Oak from one tree serv. that they will let me know when it's down and a man with a log his tractor can't budge that I can have all I want. Damn excessive verbiosity again:surprised3:

Back