Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Red Pine, deep woodpecker holes

Discussion in 'Plant Health' started by hillbillypolack, Apr 18, 2017.

1. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack ArboristSite Lurker

I know they're looking for something.

We have a stand of mixed woods, some of the (tall) red pine have deep-ish woodpecker holes. They're 12-20 foot off ground, though I'm unsure which insect might be the culprit. The tree itself looks only partially weakened, but I'm guessing it's only a matter of time.

Any thoughts for the cause, and possible remedy - beyond felling the affected tree?

2. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

3. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack ArboristSite Lurker

I havent seen the insects directly though there are several varieties of bugs that like evergreens. The holes pecked are rectangular, can fit two fingers to the third knuckle.

If it is the Sawyer bug, is there any way to hold them at bay?

4. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

Not sure how to manage them other than broad spectrum insecticides like permethrin. I do know that their grubs can grow about as large as my thumb from tip to knuckle, you can hear them chewing the wood on quiet warm nights. You'll hear a creaking squeak sound every few seconds from the tree.

5. Marine5068

Marine5068 Addicted to ArboristSite

Any pics?
    From the description it sounds like a Pileated woodpecker has found some snacks inside the trees.
    Most of the time they are looking (or listening) for carpenter ants in the tree.
    They have a very unique excavation in the shape of a longish and deep hole.
    I saw a neighbours large white Cedar with huge Pileated holes in it and after talking to him he decided to take it down as it was also too close to the house.
    What he found after he started cutting it up was a monster carpenter ant colony of ten thousand or more ants inside.
    So that's what the were pecking for. They are very good at finding ants.
    Here's a pic I got of one at one of my suet feeders.
    It's also a beautiful and the most rare American woodpecker and an necessary and integral part of our forests.

DSCF7239.JPG